The Anarchist Cookbook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Anarchist Cookbook Reviews

½ September 3, 2008
A funny look at the realities of revolution.
½ August 25, 2008
I enjoyed this. It's about a group of "anarchists" who are just punks wanting to have fun, until a "true anarchist" who is really just a terrorist wants to shake up the group and break things, now everyone has to decide if they really want to hurt people.
½ August 22, 2008
I would think with a political history as rich as anarchism and with modern day adherents like Noam Chomsky arguing for the theory of socail anarchism, this would be an in-depth film with a great deal of info about anarchism. But what we get is stoners, low-lifes, 60s era flower children, FBI most wanted thugs, run a ways from home, and a sexually obsessed girl who's doing things to herself because she wants to get back at daddy (played by Gina Philips). 'Red' Emma Goldman is spinning in her grave with a shameful movie being put out like this in her name. This movie represents a complete misappropriation of the theory of social anarchism.
½ August 19, 2008
I took a chance when I picked this up at the rental place, but I liked it's message, and the journey I took when I watched this film.
August 15, 2008
anarchy around this movie is overrated, johnny whitworth is sweet! :p
½ August 14, 2008
Unbelievably awful.
I don't know where to begin.
First off, this movie maybe, MAYBE, would've been acceptable if it had, say, been made in 1993, then, MAYBE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE maybe. The fact that it was made in 2002 is beyond unacceptable.
One of the most absurdly unoriginal, uninspired, insipid stories written and directed by someone with out a fucking clue as to how to tell a story.
The acting is awful, the editing is awful, the pacing is awful, the story is beyond tedious and awful.
It's like a bunch of suburban jerk offs aping anarchist jerk offs. Rife with blatant hypocrisies, loaded with story threads that go nowhere, oh and a timely overdose of a "beloved" character? You betcha.
Like SLC Punk without the charm, originality, writers, actors and you know, everything that makes that film brilliant.
If anyone ever tries to make you watch it, punch them in the stomach for being so stupid. Then punch yourself in the stomach. Then find Jordan Susman and fucking murder him for this cinematic abortion. A ridiculous piece of fucking shit.
Truly spectacular masturbatory garbage.
Find all the copies of this film and destroy them and I guarantee you, the world will be a better place.
½ August 11, 2008
I found the movie extremely interesting and a lot of the things are great. I would relate it to SLC Punk in the fact that it is narrated by the main character. I would recommend it to anyone who has to SLC punk,
½ August 8, 2008
Starts of as an ideological 'put me to thinking' -comedy but ends up as a basic drama. One shouldn't expect a mind altering experience when picking up the film.

The use of lower quality shots from time to time creates a funny documentary-like feeling which doesn't last though. Doesn't feel real but is a interesting movie 'cuz it's a classic movie about a not so classic subject.
July 23, 2008
omg this is the greatest movie ever!!! one of my favorite
½ July 19, 2008
A good portrayal of how ideals become corrupted by the few trying to bend them to their own wills.
½ July 11, 2008
All over the place... pretty bad
½ July 10, 2008
bad fightclub lookalike
½ June 28, 2008
The worst piece of shit I have ever seen. Half a star for the gratuitous Heidegger reference
April 20, 2008
A fun indie film that's worth watching for its wit and artsy composition.
½ April 2, 2008
Total shit.
Don't be mislead by the title, there's no anarchy here.
½ March 30, 2008
Meh, it's really nothing special. I did not know where the filmmakers were going with this and I don't think they did either. I think SLC Punk is a better movie.
March 8, 2008
This was one of the most horrible thing I have ever seen.
March 8, 2008
Not what I expected at ALL
February 20, 2008
great movie, people who say its SLC punk clone didnt watch the whole movie, overall a classic.
February 18, 2008
Oh My God. I stopped watching as soon as the bad boy showed up. The dialog was horrific. I knew kids at the time who were to an extent like a few of the ones in the film and they acted and talked nothing alike. This is a disgrace to the book and to the culture it tries to portray. Maybe when you try to portray a "deviant" culture, you should get your facts right, do some research, understand before you start making big, public statements. Awful. No stars.