Anatomy of a Murder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anatomy of a Murder Reviews

½ August 23, 2015
La película canónica del género judicial, una obra increíblemente larga para los tiempos en que se rodó y un guión colosal que remata el siempre legendario Stewart, haciendo parecer a su elenco torpes actores principiantes.
August 20, 2015
Preminger has fun examining the ambiguity of the courtroom milieu, and he's helped by great performances from Stewart and Scott. The Duke gives the film added kick w/ his sexy, seductive score.
July 27, 2015
Entertainment that keeps you at the edge of your seat anxious to know what happens next, Anatomy of a Murder is more than just your average courtroom drama
½ July 18, 2015
There's a rape, there's a murder but there's no tragedy, there's no reaction in behaviour of murderer and raped woman.
May 10, 2015
One night in 1959, Laura Manion (Lee Remick) returns home and tells her husband that she's been raped. Enraged, he husband grabs a gun and kills the man she accused of the crime. When arrested, Frederick Manion (Ben Gazzara) claims that he didn't remember any of it, but nobody really believes his story. His wife turns to a relatively unknown country lawyer for help, and after meeting with the Manion's, Paul Biegler (Jimmy Stewart) agrees to take the case. It's never clear whether or not even he believes his client's story, but either way, Biegler is determined to get the man exonerated. Many law professors consider this film to be the most accurate depiction of a trial ever fictionalized on film. Likewise, the Academy was also very impressed, giving Anatomy of A Murder seven Oscar nominations, but does the film really stand the test of time? For 1959, the Manion's were as promiscuous and dysfunctional a couple as could be on film, however in 2015, they are rather tame. That's not the only thing that gets lost in time, as the laws surrounding the insanity defense have also changed, making the whole premise around this trial more than somewhat outdated. This film simply doesn't have the impact in 2015, that it did in 1959, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining. Jimmy Stewart stars as Defense Attorney, Paul Biegler, who unfortunately isn't the most interesting man in the world. He's a very bland character, without much depth, but he is an intelligent lawyer, who finds every trick and loophole in the book to defend his client. Jimmy Stewart was a tall lanky man with a strange voice, who I thought was a natural when it came to physical comedy, but Stewart preferred to play a more intelligent character, especially later in his career, and Paul Biegler is a textbook example of that. Anatomy of A Murder is on almost every top 100 list you can find, and in it's time it absolutely belonged there, but by 2015 standards, it's very long, tame, and outdated, despite the excellent story and depiction of a courtroom.
½ May 9, 2015
really good movie. Can't recall the last time I saw it. the predecessor of all these tv procedurals that are now on the air.
April 7, 2015
Starring James Stewart, George C. Scott, Ben Gazzara and Lee Remick. Completely riveting and unrelentingly cynical courtroom drama tackles the then-taboo subject of rape with a surprising amount of frankness. The performances are uniformly excellent, which elevates the film further. Directed by Otto Preminger.
March 17, 2015
This is Otto Preminger at the top of his game, and also James Stewart at the same top as well. The film is interesting, thought provoking, and still relevant to this day.
March 11, 2015
A smartly written movie! Great acting from Jimmy Stewart and George C. Scott as they clash in the courtroom! And Lee Remick is gorgeous! Wonderful soundtrack too, as provided by Duke Ellington, and it was super cool to see Duke and Stewart side by side at the piano! This movie is long (I watched it in 2 sittings) but worth the time!
½ February 20, 2015
Great direction and pacing, with interesting characters, classic court room drama
February 20, 2015
The courtroom drama by which all others are judged......near perfect.
January 24, 2015
This film just works brilliantely. It's a great trial drama. It's especially impressive given how it dealt with heavy subject matter in 1959 during a still generally conservative era. This film must have been a bit controversial, because it didn't seem to pull many punches and goes right in for the kill. Fantastic classic!
½ December 29, 2014
"Anatomy Of A Murder" es quizás una de las mejores películas sobre juicios de todos los tiempos. Controversial para su época, pero ahora ya no tanto, la cinta dirigida magistralmente por Otto Preminger sobrevive gracias a las excelentes actuaciones de James Stewart, Lee Remick y especialmente, George C. Scott y Ben Gazzara.
½ December 28, 2014
Great to see two heavy weights Jimmy Stewart and George C Scott face off in this classic movie. A great movie which tackles some pretty tough issues considering when it was made. Stewart is his usual brilliant self in it as are Remick and Scott. Great pace to the film and it keeps you interested till the end. Its long enough but I like a great black and white classic film so that suited me perfectly.
December 27, 2014
I stole the whiskey. I'm guilty as hell!

Paul Biegler is a former low-key district attorney that now operates independently but very infrequently. He prefers to fish, harass his underpaid secretary, and hang out with a local drunk who is also an attorney. One day a murder case falls in his lap that he's enticed to take and prove a military officer innocent, even when it appears there may be some funny business in the case on both sides...

"I'm sorry if I offended you awhile ago."
"No you're not."

Otto Preminger, director of Laura, A Royal Scandal, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Carmen Jones, Skidoo, Exodus, and Bunny Lake is Missing, delivers Anatomy of a Murder. The storyline for this picture is amazing and very unpredictable. The acting and script are brilliant and the film is wonderfully paced despite the long runtime (160 minutes). The cast includes James Stewart, Lee Remmick, Eve Arden, Bem Gazzara, Arthur O'Connell, George Scott, and Orson Bean.

"You surprise me sometimes."
'Why? I've been around."

I grabbed this movie off Netflix because I love both Otto Preminger and James Stewart pictures. This was a very well done courtroom drama and reminded me slightly of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The pace of the film is very well done is Stewart and such an amazing and compelling actor. I strongly recommend this gem!

"I used to think the world looks better through a glass of whiskey. It doesn't."

Grade: A
½ November 5, 2014
One of the all time great court room dramas. Stewart is at his very best and not only does the story look at the court room but also gives a great back ground to all the characters beforehand. Wonderful, wonderful characters.
October 18, 2014
Well acted, with a reasonable plot, some snappy lines and pretty good acting, but oh so very long! I quite enjoyed the first 90mins or so, but after that, it felt like I was gorging on a Columbo boxset. Slightly disappointing ending and not quite as clever as it thinks it is. 7.5/10
½ October 12, 2014
It's very long but you are kept interested throughout if only to be a bit disappointed by the predictable ending.
½ September 28, 2014
With superb acting all-around, great writing, involving case and interesting characters, Anatomy of a Murder is also thought-provoking and even groudbreaking in terms of use of language and sexual terms. James Stewart is easily likable as a wisecrack lawyer and the courtroom scenes are always entertaining and quite intriguing. Although it is unnecessarily long and drags at some points, this movie is an also extremely well directed, acted and scripted courtroom drama that is undoubtedly one of the genre's best.
½ September 25, 2014
I found it interesting the sets and decor. I recognized early on that a lot of thought and a strong emphasis went into the details, the look to make each scene appear appealing and interesting to look at to the audience such as the backgrounds, signs in jail, the shadows of the words Sherif Office stood out in the scenes or designs of the wallpaper or curtains, paintings to make long conversation scenes seem not so boring.
Keep the eye moving. And for a film largely verbal with very little seen of the crime itself it was very necessary for the audience to be able to look at other things to stay interested in the story. A great deal of this story requires the audience to infer and use your imagination to create the picture of what the troubles were and what happened at the crime scene.

One of the things I found it interesting how the audience of the film is not told upfront what the case is all about. so in many ways the perspective or point of view which the audience is learning about what is going on with the case is just like a jury verses from the aspect of the victims or lawyer.

I also realized fairly early on that there is a lot of smoking and alcohol beverage drinking within the film.

I thought is was interesting to watch how the wife acted totally different once Jimmy Stewart mentioned her husband may be watching by looking out the window. She went from very close to her own car door window. She moved to the other side of the car away from the jail window or Jimmy Stewart giving a lot of personal space.

I think that one of the scenes could have been edited out cut when they showed that the victim was with the Psychiatrist.

Psychiatrist evaluation Temporarily insane. What does that mean?

I was surprised by how Large the courtroom was with two floors and large paintings above that may be 8 or more feet tall. It surprised me because usually you don't see court rooms that large in a film.

I find it interesting yet funny how Jimmy Stewart was seen at the beginning working on something to catch fish while sitting in court to keep him focused.

I find the story interesting in that it is about a controversial issue in the late 1950's like sex or rape. That was an issue rarely heard of fir its time. Things like panties are seen as funny by the Jury in court yet today it is heard more often therefore more common and viewed as not as funny.

One line that fascinated me that Jimmy Stewart mentioned was somewhat on the lines that; People are not just merely good or bad but are many things. I thought it was an interesting point for its day to bring up.

The other line that Jimmy Stewarts character brings up is that "Everyone loves something" weather it's fishing or any other personal interest.

One scene that stood out to me from a film aspect was The momentary pause/stare between the husband and wife on the way for the wife to go to the stand. It was a great scene with a lot of tension that leaves the audience curious what exactly could she reveal that may hurt either both herself or her husband whatever she may say.

I thought it was interesting when the Council sued by George C. Scott purposely blocking view of Jimmy Stewart's character.

I enjoyed the realism with ill-relevant discussions that are unrelated to the main story.

This film stands interesting as this film explores different elements such as Psychology, fishing, court, police investigation, military aspects are looked at in the film as aspects yet they all come together in the story to create one story.

I found it interesting when Jimmy Stewart brought up the aspect of Country lawyer Jimmy Stewart verses big city lawyer George C. Scott in the courtroom. It identified that there was a major difference in technics or styles how each lawyers went about facing the case. Such as in how the city lawyers has an associate to go to for information verses a small lawyer who had fewer resources to go to. An old style verses the new style of law.

Good points were brought up about how the side with George C. Scott consistently tried repeatedly to not bring up the rape case in court but rather a murder case.