Anatomy of a Murder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anatomy of a Murder Reviews

November 26, 2015
TWO THUMBS UP
Viewed this on 26/11/15
A riveting masterpiece and one of the best courtroom dramas ever made and it reminds me why I love the genre so much. It's got flawless direction from Otto Preminger, a superb script with characters in a mystery that won't let you grab a hold of them, thus making it layered and unpredictable. James Stewart gives another fantastic performance and in a role that suits his age and he is equally complemented by two lawyers at his opposition played by George C Scott and Douglas Brooks West and although the latter may seem like a clown in the bunch, his acting is spontaneous and flawless. The film starts off in a very routine and average manner,that too purposefully and when the court room scenes arrive, it just mounts tension upon tension. Actress Lee Remick must also be given praise for her performance.
October 30, 2015
One of James Stewart's greatest performances.
October 19, 2015
A courtroom drama with the blunt verbal duel between lawyers Biegler and Dancer (James Srewart and George C. Scott). Lee Remick as Litenuant Manion's wife is sensuality itself.
½ September 2, 2015
A good courtroom drama. But where it really gets you is the vagueness of justice. Here is a man convicted of retributive murder after his wife was raped, you feel bad for him, but yet something is off since he beats his wife. So what is right is never cut and dry. It is nothing profound especially where the result has implications on truth, but it does entertain with its good acting, writing, directing and score (Duke Ellington).

Stewart is a good touch stone for the movie as the lawyer. At first he seems washed up with drinking, girls and his cynicism, but then he changes to all seriousness when there is a chance to save a man from jail. He is supported by a strong cast, a beautiful Remick, Scott as the big lawyer, Welch as the unusual judge, O'Connell as the need to sober up assistant and the bartender whose name I do not recall.

Another review needed to be rewritten thanks to flixster messing up!
½ August 31, 2015
great film fm a hugh book
½ August 23, 2015
La película canónica del género judicial, una obra increíblemente larga para los tiempos en que se rodó y un guión colosal que remata el siempre legendario Stewart, haciendo parecer a su elenco torpes actores principiantes.
August 20, 2015
Preminger has fun examining the ambiguity of the courtroom milieu, and he's helped by great performances from Stewart and Scott. The Duke gives the film added kick w/ his sexy, seductive score.
July 27, 2015
Entertainment that keeps you at the edge of your seat anxious to know what happens next, Anatomy of a Murder is more than just your average courtroom drama
½ July 18, 2015
There's a rape, there's a murder but there's no tragedy, there's no reaction in behaviour of murderer and raped woman.
May 10, 2015
One night in 1959, Laura Manion (Lee Remick) returns home and tells her husband that she's been raped. Enraged, he husband grabs a gun and kills the man she accused of the crime. When arrested, Frederick Manion (Ben Gazzara) claims that he didn't remember any of it, but nobody really believes his story. His wife turns to a relatively unknown country lawyer for help, and after meeting with the Manion's, Paul Biegler (Jimmy Stewart) agrees to take the case. It's never clear whether or not even he believes his client's story, but either way, Biegler is determined to get the man exonerated. Many law professors consider this film to be the most accurate depiction of a trial ever fictionalized on film. Likewise, the Academy was also very impressed, giving Anatomy of A Murder seven Oscar nominations, but does the film really stand the test of time? For 1959, the Manion's were as promiscuous and dysfunctional a couple as could be on film, however in 2015, they are rather tame. That's not the only thing that gets lost in time, as the laws surrounding the insanity defense have also changed, making the whole premise around this trial more than somewhat outdated. This film simply doesn't have the impact in 2015, that it did in 1959, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining. Jimmy Stewart stars as Defense Attorney, Paul Biegler, who unfortunately isn't the most interesting man in the world. He's a very bland character, without much depth, but he is an intelligent lawyer, who finds every trick and loophole in the book to defend his client. Jimmy Stewart was a tall lanky man with a strange voice, who I thought was a natural when it came to physical comedy, but Stewart preferred to play a more intelligent character, especially later in his career, and Paul Biegler is a textbook example of that. Anatomy of A Murder is on almost every top 100 list you can find, and in it's time it absolutely belonged there, but by 2015 standards, it's very long, tame, and outdated, despite the excellent story and depiction of a courtroom.
½ May 9, 2015
really good movie. Can't recall the last time I saw it. the predecessor of all these tv procedurals that are now on the air.
April 7, 2015
Starring James Stewart, George C. Scott, Ben Gazzara and Lee Remick. Completely riveting and unrelentingly cynical courtroom drama tackles the then-taboo subject of rape with a surprising amount of frankness. The performances are uniformly excellent, which elevates the film further. Directed by Otto Preminger.
March 17, 2015
This is Otto Preminger at the top of his game, and also James Stewart at the same top as well. The film is interesting, thought provoking, and still relevant to this day.
March 11, 2015
A smartly written movie! Great acting from Jimmy Stewart and George C. Scott as they clash in the courtroom! And Lee Remick is gorgeous! Wonderful soundtrack too, as provided by Duke Ellington, and it was super cool to see Duke and Stewart side by side at the piano! This movie is long (I watched it in 2 sittings) but worth the time!
½ February 20, 2015
Great direction and pacing, with interesting characters, classic court room drama
February 20, 2015
The courtroom drama by which all others are judged......near perfect.
January 24, 2015
This film just works brilliantely. It's a great trial drama. It's especially impressive given how it dealt with heavy subject matter in 1959 during a still generally conservative era. This film must have been a bit controversial, because it didn't seem to pull many punches and goes right in for the kill. Fantastic classic!
½ December 29, 2014
"Anatomy Of A Murder" es quizás una de las mejores películas sobre juicios de todos los tiempos. Controversial para su época, pero ahora ya no tanto, la cinta dirigida magistralmente por Otto Preminger sobrevive gracias a las excelentes actuaciones de James Stewart, Lee Remick y especialmente, George C. Scott y Ben Gazzara.
½ December 28, 2014
Great to see two heavy weights Jimmy Stewart and George C Scott face off in this classic movie. A great movie which tackles some pretty tough issues considering when it was made. Stewart is his usual brilliant self in it as are Remick and Scott. Great pace to the film and it keeps you interested till the end. Its long enough but I like a great black and white classic film so that suited me perfectly.
December 27, 2014
I stole the whiskey. I'm guilty as hell!

Paul Biegler is a former low-key district attorney that now operates independently but very infrequently. He prefers to fish, harass his underpaid secretary, and hang out with a local drunk who is also an attorney. One day a murder case falls in his lap that he's enticed to take and prove a military officer innocent, even when it appears there may be some funny business in the case on both sides...

"I'm sorry if I offended you awhile ago."
"No you're not."

Otto Preminger, director of Laura, A Royal Scandal, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Carmen Jones, Skidoo, Exodus, and Bunny Lake is Missing, delivers Anatomy of a Murder. The storyline for this picture is amazing and very unpredictable. The acting and script are brilliant and the film is wonderfully paced despite the long runtime (160 minutes). The cast includes James Stewart, Lee Remmick, Eve Arden, Bem Gazzara, Arthur O'Connell, George Scott, and Orson Bean.

"You surprise me sometimes."
'Why? I've been around."

I grabbed this movie off Netflix because I love both Otto Preminger and James Stewart pictures. This was a very well done courtroom drama and reminded me slightly of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The pace of the film is very well done is Stewart and such an amazing and compelling actor. I strongly recommend this gem!

"I used to think the world looks better through a glass of whiskey. It doesn't."

Grade: A