And Everything Is Going Fine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

And Everything Is Going Fine Reviews

November 11, 2015
Documentaire retraçant la vie de Spalding Gray (auteur de monologues qui s'est suicidé en 2004), And Everything is Going Fine est un nouveau grand film de Steven Soderbergh, un documentaire-collage qui retrace la vie de Gray sans jamais lui trouver des circonstances atténuantes. C'est une plongée dans la vie d'un homme qui ne s'est jamais réellement trouvé à sa place et c'est ce qui rend And Everything is Going Fine absolument passionnant. A travers des extraits de monologues et d'interviews, c'est une vie américaine qui se trace devant les yeux du spectateur. Cela colle parfaitement à la vie de Gray et rend le film aussi tragique qu'hilarant.
December 26, 2014
Fascinating and funny.
May 28, 2014
You have to really like Spalding Gray (and to have seen some of his previous monologues) to appreciate Soderbergh's masterly knitting together of excerpts from an array of Gray's public appearances (monologues and otherwise). And I do. Watching this film was like revisiting a long lost but fondly remembered friend. And he is telling all of his old stories and some new ones. In fact, I was surprised at all the things that happened to Spalding Gray since I last checked in with him. Despite having a family (and opening himself up to some dad humor), things took a turn for the sombre after a rough automobile accident in Ireland in 2001 and culminated in Gray's (presumed) suicide in 2004 (from the Staten Island ferry). He talks about death a lot over the years - or perhaps Soderbergh and his editor Susan Littenberg purposely chose death obsessed clips. Nevertheless (and as always), the thing about Gray's monologues is that they are so life affirming (and funny and neurotic and naked). Listening to him talk about his life makes you want to pay more attention to your own - after all, we've all got plenty of fodder for monologues. But, honestly, Gray created a poetic art-form that we are fortunate he shared with us even if the constant sharing itself (along with underlying mental illness) seems to have encouraged a desire for (what he may have sadly perceived to be) the perfect narrative closure.
December 31, 2013
Just such a...mesmerizing movie, with Steven Soderbergh -- quite the minimalist himself -- providing no subtext, no narration, no epilogue or outside talking heads. "And Everything Is Going Fine" is a movie constructed in a way so as to have Spalding Gray describe his life in his own words via archival monologues, a la "Stories We Tell" only they aren't recreations (the only thing I think that prevents the latter from being absolutely perfect.)

I feel like I'm tripping on my writing after hearing shear talk for ninety minutes. That's because "Everything" is a verbal journey. It's also all MOVIE, and quietly sorta perfect. It brings you to tears without manipulation. I'd call it Soderbergh's best ever but my hesitation is in that...well, it feels strange to call it HIS movie when. You know. Whatevs. Let it be. Just see it.
½ November 15, 2013
Spalding is an interesting guy but this movie didn't make we want to run out and see him (if i could). I does impress me when someone can just stand in front of a crowd thats not necessarily a comic and hold there attention with a story. He has a calm voice and presence that draws you in and makes him sympathetic.
April 21, 2013
A final fascinating monologue in this video collage of Spalding telling the life story of Spalding, told the way that only he could.
April 6, 2013
Skip this one. Over-sharing by a self-absorbed, sad man.
December 19, 2012
This was my first exposure to Spalding Gray, but it seems like it contains most of what I would need to know about him. Gray was an actor known for one-man monologue stage shows, where he would just sit at a table and tell stories about his life. He performed many of these shows over the course of his life. This film, made by Steven Soderbergh in the wake of Gray's suicide (which is never actually mentioned) is composed entirely of footage of Gray. Most of the footage is taken from various monologue shows over the years, and the rest comes from interviews and occasionally home movies. The movie doesn't exactly say, but judging from his appearance and so on, I would guess the footage spans about thirty years or so of Gray's life. He is certainly an engaging storyteller, which accounts for the popularity of the shows. There's a bit of a My Dinner with Andre aspect to both Gray and the movie, and indeed he even mentions Andre Gregory at one point. Gray's life is interesting, even though he himself does not always come across as the most sympathetic; in a lot of ways, he seems like your typical dissolute, bohemian, narcissistic artist. But he's at least self-aware enough to acknowledge that in his telling of the stories. The film is edited in such a way to make all the transitions between different sources fairly seamless. Overall, this was obviously a fairly light and minor project for Soderbergh, but it works well on its own terms, and you learn a lot about Spalding Gray.
December 6, 2012
Spalding Gray + Steven Soderbergh. Why not?
½ August 31, 2012
Soderbergh captures both Gray's style and his obsessions, all while paying honor to his memory.
August 11, 2012
My nephew loves him so i wanted to see why. They are. A lot alike. Worries me a bit
July 29, 2012
50 shades of Gray, all of them narcissistic.
the dude's schtick is monologues and his soul reason for them is therapeutic purposes... it is beyond me how someone can be that self reflective and self obsessed. no doubt spalding is in heaven right now and it's like that scene in being john malkovich with all the malkovichs except they're all spaldings.
½ June 28, 2012
How can you not be facinated with the great storyteller Spalding Gray. If you don't know anything about him then pick up a book or a movie that he's written.
June 27, 2012
A fabulous tribute to a master of monologue. The American version of Stuart McLean..albeit it a Stuart McLean who is actually witty and has stories to tell that are actually interesting.
June 23, 2012
A fascinating coda to a fascinating life. Such sadness from a happily sad guy. I still miss Spalding Gray.
June 20, 2012
Worthwhile for the quality of Gray's monologues, but not what I would call riveting cinema...
February 16, 2012
this makes me want to delve deeper into spalding gray's stuff. very cool editing job from someone who clearly has big love for his subject.
February 12, 2012
I was lucky enough to see Spalding Gray 3 times over the years in Toronto. This movie brought back some fond memories. Monster in a Box is a great movie and works well as a book as well.
½ January 10, 2012
It's at once a biopic and monologue and a portrait of a genius.