And Everything Is Going Fine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

And Everything Is Going Fine Reviews

November 11, 2011
I absolutely loved this. I'd recommend "Swimming To Cambodia" first for a flavour of the man, but this is just cleverly done and brilliantly put together.
October 26, 2011
Spalding Gray in his own words. Left me wanting more however...a little too much editing and not enough breathing room.
½ March 10, 2011
This film is not an introduction to Spalding Gray. This film is a final farewell from beyond the grave, lovingly assembled by a friend and admirer for the rest of us to have closure on the sudden loss of such a profound and talented artist. Sort of a cinematic funeral service for all of his admirers to reflect upon. Many of the excerpts are assembled from his lesser known monologues and interviews, including large portions of 'It's A Slippery Slope', which was my introduction to his work and life and I still think it's the one that still resonates with me the most. There's so many levels you can connect to this film, so I won't even bother listing it. If you're familiar with his work, this is a MUST WATCH. So many remarkably touching moments that cause you to smile so fondly and yet still be crying your eyes out. Thanks for the beautiful stories, Spud. We all still miss you very much.
February 21, 2011
As a fan of Spalding Gray, I very much appreciated this overview of his life, told almost entirely in his own words, sometimes from his performances and sometimes from interviews. I think it did an excellent job of showing us the man and the performer. I'd definitely recommend it to Gray fans - and probably to those who don't know his work, as well, but am a little less certain about that.
½ February 21, 2011
Being a huge fan of Spalding Gray, this was a great look into his life and how the art of monologues broke to the big screen. The ending sequence could not be more fitting or haunting about his life.
February 20, 2011
If you love Gray, you won't miss it, but you'll still be irked at Soderbergh needs to chop it up as much as he does. Still powerful and sad and funny, even if the majority of the footage is in terrible shape.
½ February 18, 2011
A brilliantly edited assembly of clips allows Spalding Gray to tell the story of his life in this amusing and thoughtful film.
February 7, 2011
absolutely insufferable
February 4, 2011
As Spaulding Gray became famous for his almost eerie ability to recall the most minute details of his own life, it only makes sense given the amount of footage on him to construct a chronological narrative of his life using his own words. Steven Soderbergh continues his impressive run of sharp indies behind his giant Hollywood films with this brilliantly edited bio doc on author, actor performance artist, Spaulding Gray. What is truly amazing is that none of the footage from this doc, all first person narrative, was created for this film. Soderbergh quelled all of it from past interviews, performance films and videos of Spaulding in a clear timeline that is at moments, moving and comedic as the world Spauding painted for you during his life.
January 19, 2011
the trailor i've seen is inspiring. love spaulding gray & steven soderbergh is a brilliant film maker. looking forward to seeing this film giving spaulding gray his final monologue.
January 17, 2011
A beautiful final eulogy spoken by Spalding himself. I think he knew what was on his epitaph, if not in stone then in spirit: this is a lamentation.
½ January 11, 2011
Spalding Gray as Spalding Gray via Steven Soderbergh, and perfect as such. Seven years and one day ago, the world lost an amazing writer, storyteller, and person. WARNING: HEARTBREAKING DISCUSSIONS OF SUICIDE FANTASIES CAN NOT BE UNSEEN.
January 8, 2011
Elizabeth Le Compte are you out there???
½ December 26, 2010
We miss you Spalding!
½ December 21, 2010
I only knew Gray a little bit from his monologues before this movie (one of them Soderbergh's own Gray's Anatomy, and bits of Swimming to Cambodia - and hey, he had a bit part in How High!) But this is an excellent way to get acquainted with the man, his history, the 'wackiness' with his family (actually quite serious and depressing), and how he made art out of his own "self" as a character, as he said being a "method" actor only the character being himself. Remarkable editing, as usual from Soderbergh.
Harlequin68
December 12, 2010
On the subway to see the touching and funny movie "And Everything Is Going Fine," I noticed a lot of people wearing holiday costumes which I had never seen before and most of them seemed to get off at my stop. A friend thought this might have something to do with a massive pub crawl which a lot of crazy behavior including a slide down a bannister at the World Trade Center Path station would seemingly confirm.

Now this is the kind of story that Spalding Gray(1941-2004) would tell in his monologues in front of an audience, while sitting down at a table with maybe a glass of water or a notebook.(For "Monster in a Box," he had the mother of all unfinished manuscripts. I still would like to know about the Playboy magazine, by the way.) Like a lot of people, I came to his work through the film "Swimming to Cambodia," a wonderful retelling of his experiences in a small part in "The Killing Fields." As one reviewer noted, "never had so much been made of so little." And I was lucky to see him perform "Gray's Anatomy" and "It's a Slippery Slope" in person at Lincoln Center.

With "And Everything Is Going Fine," Steven Soderbergh(he directed Gray in "King of the Hill" and filmed "Gray's Anatomy") stitch them together in a single autobiographical narrative with additional talks where Gray is interviewed and he interviews other people, including one where he talks with his father. Through it all, Gray proves his enormous talent in detailing the everyday experiences of people he came across. Of deeper interest is the therapeutic service the monologues may have served him as his mother's mental illness and suicide hangs over him, allowing him to explore the subject of depression which is so rarely talked about.
December 11, 2010
Everybody go see this. A brilliantly put together collection of Spalding Gray snippets that allows him to tell his own life story with no intrusion from outside storytelling devices.