And Now the Screaming Starts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

And Now the Screaming Starts Reviews

½ February 12, 2009
Jane Austin meets Edgar Allen Poe.
Starring: Stephanie Beacham, Ian Ogilvy, and Thing T. Thing!
September 30, 2008
I'm not even a fan of GREAT horror movies, so a middle-of-the-road cheepie like this one doesn't stand a chance. Between a dull story that takes WAY too long to get going, terrible special effects, poor atmosphere that can't support the film that relies ENTIRELY on creepiness, and the inexcusable crime of utterly wasting Peter Cushing, there's very little good to say about Now the Screaming Starts. Nobody in the cast manages to generate any interest in their characters, and the plot mostly meanders from one set piece to the next without creating any sort of forward monentum. Also, the strangely abrupt editing causes the film to feel like a clip show, as if we're watching the key points of a much longer film with all the nonessential stuff clipped out. This is not a good thing for any movie, let alone in a creepy genre that lives or dies by elements that really aren't "important" to the plot. I admit that the ending packs a bit of a punch, but it's far too little, far too late. Forgetable.
September 20, 2008
A classic horror film. Even watching this film now sends chills up my spine.
September 19, 2008
Severed hands keep appearing throughout the years, and the Amicus studios take on this genre is quite satisfying. Although the most satisfying element in this film is Stephanie Beacham's cleavage, Peter Cushing and Herbert Lom are always fun to watch.
September 13, 2008
Awesome mechanical hand crawling around on it's own exacting revenge.
Beautifully shot in a gorgeous gothic mansion, decent plot, and a real sense of style.
Highly recommended if you are in the mood for an atmospheric night of classic horror.
April 20, 2008
Classic! OHHHHHHHHHHH no the hands coming after me!!!!!!!!!! and whats that ghostly figure coming out of the wall??? lol
January 18, 2008
Creepy classic horror movie! a must see for those who love the campy horror movies... especially those with lots of mystery in them!
October 21, 2007
Man I so totally love this movie, its a great horror classic! Okay so its kind of low on gore but Catherine is raped by a severed murdering Hand!!!
October 19, 2007
Junque Hammer styled film, not one of Baker's better movies
½ October 4, 2007
A little slow, but great for those wanting to be creeped out!
½ September 6, 2007
Oh, yes, Stephanie Beecham can scream. But since she?s being haunted by a demonic hand belonging to a scarred woodcutter with no eyes, who?s just raped her, I think she?s allowed.
Not that she can turn to new husband Ian Ogilvy for help. He is too busy trying to protect his family name, and hide the indiscretions of ancestor Herbert Lom, the nature of which hold the key to her predicament.
Lurid, loud, and slightly overlong, but a solid entry into the Amicus collection
½ July 25, 2007
Just horrible !! A dismembered hand goes around killing people. It worked in Evil Dead 2 but definitely not here. Somewhat of a period piece, it's extremely slow and low on gore. Peter Cushing is the one redeeming factor but plays a minor role.
July 14, 2007
This one was fun. The synopsis is wretched though.
July 10, 2007
Slightly above average horror film. Cushing & Beacham carry this movie: not the best Amicus film, but of interest for being one of the few 'period' films the studio made (rather than 'modern' 70's horror)
July 4, 2007
Highly silly period horror about a severed hand that goes around strangling people and suchlike. Amicus were much better when they made contemporary anthologies. The Cush doesn't appear until over halfway through, sadly.
June 29, 2007
Not a bad period ghost movie, and the back story was pretty racy for an old Hammer film. Once was enough, though, so no DVD in my future.
½ June 8, 2007
That hand freaks me out!
½ June 7, 2007
one of the best horro movies ever
April 14, 2007
I RECENTLY SAW THIS ONE ! I LOVED IT!! THE WAY ITS SHOT ITS LIKE YOUR IN THE MOVIE!!!
½ April 7, 2007
A creepy and atmospheric British horror film with wonderful work from Stephanie Beacham, Partrick Magee, Ian Ogilvy, Herbert Lom and, of course, the always brilliant Peter Cushing. This is not one of Amicus's best films, however, because it deviates from the very qualities that made the studio different from it's contemporary, Hammer: it is a period film, too much like your average Hammer film. Amicus worked best when it was spinning it's stories in the modern age. Still, this is a very good "family curse" horror tale with a great, thrilling finish.