Anderson Platoon Reviews

• Nov 20, 2016

11/21/16 You Tube An intimate, you are there feel following a platoon of American soldiers. Part of its strength but also part of its weakness is the jumpy confusion in battle scenes. You don't always know what is going on or where they are. Won Best Documentary in 1967

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Oct 11, 2012

This documentary follows a platoon's missions and daily life in Vietnam. Compared to the modern war documentaries like <i>Restrepo</i>, there is not much here, especially in reference to a phrase I used in my review of that film "degree of embeddedness." Perhaps for its era <i>The Anderson Platoon</i> had something new to offer, but it hasn't withstood the test of time. The most prominent weakness I find is the film's failure to take a stand. I don't know how the documentarians feel about their subject, and while documentaries ... well, document, the Vietnam War is such a politically charged subject that the film's avoidance of any political stance leaves it seemingly empty rather than objective. Overall, I can't recommend this film for anyone excepting those whose interest is so specialized that a blank film about Vietnam would hold some sway.

• Jan 15, 2012

Very stark, very real. But it also jumps around strangely. Perhaps it mirrors life in a war in that way, but that doesn't make the movie any easier to understand. This is another documentary where I understand why it won an Oscar when it did, but it hasn't really aged all that well.

• Nov 28, 2010