Andy Kaufman: I'm from Hollywood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Andy Kaufman: I'm from Hollywood Reviews

April 13, 2011
"I'm From Hollywood" is just about as thorough a synopsis of Kaufman's wrestling career as a 60-minute mockumentary could ever hope to be. It begins on a huge high note, covering Andy's early career via a series of tongue in cheek interviews with big name co-stars and friends, stretching the truth with an anchor in reality a'l Spinal Tap. It's when the subject turns to his exploits in the Memphis wrestling scene, though, that the picture pulls a complete 180. Those celebrity chats quickly disappear, replaced with direct archival footage of the actual matches and promo segments that eventually built to Kaufman's long-term feud with a very young Jerry Lawler. It's great on a sheerly historical sense, but considering this rivalry lasted for well over a year (in regular once-a-week installments) there's a lot of redundancy in the material that could've been cut out. I would've rather seen a continuation of those interviews spliced in with the raw footage to keep the commentary fresh and the pace quick, because this catches a terrible case of the drags around the halfway point that it never quite manages to shake. It's a major disappointment that the producers couldn't secure the rights to Kaufman and Lawler's infamous fight on Letterman, too, which was the real hook of that storyline.
May 6, 2009
That guy was completely crazy and hilarious at the same time! :) It's shocking and funny! If you like Kaufaman you have to watch it.
April 20, 2009
Anyone who likes wrestling - or documentary style comedies will enjoy this real life event.
March 29, 2009
Interesting study, although it relies just a bit too heavily on unedited archival footage. Interesting that the film never bothers to mention, or even bring up the possibility that the ongoing Lawler-Kaufman feud was nothing but a set-up.
December 28, 2008
I've seen clips of this on YouTube. I wanna see the whole thing.
October 23, 2008
Fascinating document of his wrestling days, directed by his girlfriend Lynne Margulies.
½ October 10, 2008
This is hilarious! an underrated genius that even now would b ahead of the times.
August 23, 2008
Hilarious and intriguing documentary about Andy Kaufman's stint as a heel (villain) wrestler. But funny and insightful, and still just as shocking today.
½ June 6, 2008
A great DVD with 2 of the best works and antics of Andy Kaufman; long live the true King of Comedy!
May 31, 2008
Kaufman was a (mad) genius. This film shows just how much so.
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
January 9, 2008
If you don't rate this 5 stars that you don't feel. OWN IT!
½ September 1, 2007
Strange retrospective.
August 28, 2007
Along with MST 3K, Mr. Show, and a few select others, this semi-obscure documentary is one of the touchstones of what I find funny. Many may find absolutely nothing funny about this. But me? Comedic gold.
July 28, 2007
Terrible ...absolutely AWFUL
July 22, 2007
Andy Kaufman vs Jerry Lawler: Andy is one of the greatest wrestling heels of all time, and he wasn't even really a wrestler. If you liked Man on the Moon, pick this up and see why thousands in the South wanted his blood. Excellent! R.I.P. Mr Kaufman
½ June 19, 2007
Great documentary on Kaufman wrestling years. Featuring a ton of clips, I had no idea that the wrestling thing went as far as it did. Priceless. The DVD has the equally entertaining "My Dinner With Blase".
½ June 15, 2007
I think it's staged. But I still like it.
½ June 7, 2007
I can't really believe this is on here but it's a great movie that used to be on Comedy Central every morning. Pick up the DVD if you at all like wrestling or comedy.
½ June 7, 2007
If you don't like this movie, then you must be some country bumpkin, I'm from Hollywood. And *I* know what is good.

Actually you know what, I don't want you to watch this movie, because your simple country mind couldn't understand it anyways.