Angel on the Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angel on the Right Reviews

½ June 22, 2013
Strangely billed as a dark comedy, this quietly beautiful film follows Hamro, returning back home to his small village in Tajikistan after ten years in a Moscow jail to visit his ailing mother (and to sell her house so he can repay his debts). But it soon becomes clear that his mother and the villagers have other plans for him. A gentle tale exploring themes of moral choices and their consequences. Is it possible to change your fate?
April 6, 2013
Jamshed Usmonov from Tajikistan is one of the most notable figures of the Persian cinema. He directed the first international acclaimed film from Tajikistan, Angel on the Right. A low budget film, that was shot in Usmonov's home village Asht, and starring his own family and other villagers. Angel on the Right is the story about Hamro, who after ten years in a Russian prison returns to his home village because his mother is ill. But this is only a scam to get him back to pay for his mistakes and restore his family's honor, by taking care of his son and pay all his debt, including all the money he has borrowed from the other villagers, like the mafia for instance.

Angel on the Right is a sweet little story about honor and pride. And it's certainly a new world that are shown on screen. Even though this is credited as a comedy, our focus is more on the village itself and how they live, their occupations and traditions, which is a central theme in this film. It has the rustic charm, like a Kiarostami film. It's a film that captures the post-soviet depression and poverty. It's a good film with a real moral and an authentic look. Thumbs up.
May 28, 2012
a simple and naturalistic film. the comic element was unfortunately lost on me most of the time, but it did show itself once in a while. the plot progressed very slowly, and didn't really seem to go anywhere--I didn't really get what the film was trying to say. still, the entertainment value is passable and fans of obscure foreign cinema might well appreciate this minimalist Central Asian contribution.
May 28, 2012
Well-done movie from Tajikistan. A man returns from prison in Russia to visit his dying mother, not knowing that she and the town have a sinister plot up their sleeve. Original story & a good way to see a country that most of us may never visit.
May 28, 2012
En kriminell sønn som vender hjem til ei mor som spiller dødende/død. Noe rar men bra.