Angels Crest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angels Crest Reviews

March 11, 2014
Low budget . . . But Love it.
January 12, 2014
A very sensitively portrayed movie about a loving young father Ethan Denton (played by Thomas Dekker) having to live with the consequences of a split second of thoughtlessness and it's aftermath. Ethan having realized he is now living every caring parents horrible nightmare when his son Nate disappears, also has to contend with the paralleled cruel, thin, substanceless shroud of brotherly love and love thy neighbor which immediately falls away to expose his sleepy towns intolerance. Ethan was the parent who loved his son, Nate's mother Cindy, predisposed with her alcoholism, did not. When Cindy says to Ethan, "So now you're a shit dad too" in a very touching moment, that is the only time Ethan and Cindy ever connected, and sadly, with the tragedy of their son. There is a strong supporting cast with Jeremy Piven as the prosecutor that has to bring Ethan down, but along the way realizes a lot of his motivation for trying the case is because of his own baggage. And I was absolutely delighted to see two very talented actresses, Mira Sorvino who plays Angie, Ethan's friend and Elizabeth McGovern who plays Jane. I hope we see more of them in the future as they have passed the Hollywood shelf life for women.
This is one that can be felt even if you aren't a parent. But if you are, I strongly recommend a box Kleenex, as I sobbed throughout. But the real triumph that director Gaby Dellal pulls off is that as I cried for the misfortune of this father, I also rejoiced for all the parents like me that had that moment of realization, and by the saving grace did not have to go down Ethan's path. A must see as this is brilliantly done, and Thomas Dekker is outstanding as Ethan.. cm
August 19, 2013
This is an excellent hidden gem, a tragic drama that wears its story well and though it has a minor flaw here and there the thing that hangs with you the most is the loss and tragedy from one small seemingly innocuous decision.
Harlequin68
½ July 19, 2013
"Angels Crest" starts on a snowy morning with Ethan(Thomas Dekker) driving his three year old son Nate(Ameko Eks Mass Carroll) to the countryside. While Nate sleeps in the back seat, his father takes the opportunity to go look for some deer. When he returns, Ethan is gone. As the search intensifies, it is up to Angie(Mira Sorvino) to notify Cindy(Lynn Collins), the boy's mother. Even with all the local help and Ethan not stopping at nightfall, they do not find his son's body until the following morning. To make matters worse, the district attorney(Jeremy Piven) is planning on filing charges against him.

"Angels Crest" has a decent enough idea in trying to explore a small town's reaction to an unspeakable tragedy. But it lacks important ingredients like a direction or a cohesive story, as its soap opera like structure resembles a circle, with characters coming and going as they please. Things improve slightly as the movie almost develops a mordant sense of humor which is necessary for another movie that suggests if you turn your head for one second, your child will end up getting eaten by wolves, even if you live in New York City. Well, at least the scenery is nice.
June 12, 2013
it just wanted to watch this movie cuz kate walsh was a lesbian in it lol.. it was sad :(
½ April 20, 2013
Called Abandoned in the UK bit of a sad one but told in such a way that you can't turn off.
February 6, 2013
Good movie, sad ending, but nothing to write home about... best part is little boy.
January 7, 2013
The story is slow and completely pointless and the ending was as much of a letdown as the rest of the movie. There was not one redeeming quality to this movie.
½ December 26, 2012
Intriguing movie where reality bites.
October 31, 2012
It was a great movie
October 16, 2012
I sometimes feel like I am watching different movies than other people are watching..especially the Independent Film underdogs. This was very well done, moving, and will stick with me for quite awhile. These are the kinds of things that I look for in a film. As a parent, I can absolutely see all that came about in this film happening. I can see trying to make sense of the death...trying to desperately find some way for it not to be my error. I can see not being able to live with myself when I finally came to terms with what happened. I thought Thomas Dekker (the dad) did an outstanding job, and I really felt his pain. Good, memorable movie, in my opinion.
October 13, 2012
A tragic tale, but not enough depth goes into the main characters.
½ September 6, 2012
heavily miscast and only some of the good work is shown on the screen. the issue is the direction which seems to heavily spent of slow lingering shots then getting the drama correct. the story is quite interesting and provides a chance at giving us something more then what the bigger budgets give us.
Piven and Sorvino are impressive in support but the leads should have given us more depth so we could share the journey. The only emotion Dekker displays is in the final third and by then the film has slipped away.
I liked the some of the film but as a whole it really didn't provide any insight or purpose. the ending was quite intriguing and daring but also lacked conviction due to Dekker's poorly performed character.
August 28, 2012
I thought this movie was alright. It seemed a little stretched out with awkward confrontations and conversations that seemed to just be fluff scenes, but the story line was interesting. This movie would make a great infomercial for a baby proof car seat!
August 20, 2012
I watched it and it was very good, but very dark. It is not very smart to leave your child in a car alone, DUH!
½ July 1, 2012
Not too many good reviews.... But I thought the movie was quite entertaining
½ June 19, 2012
A very heartbreaking story with a great cast, but in the end it could have been better: you stay all the time waiting for something to happen, but it doesn't.
½ May 17, 2012
Dark drama but well acted and full of familiar faces.
May 11, 2012
Exactly the ended I wanted and it needed.