Angels in America (MINI-SERIES) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angels in America (MINI-SERIES) Reviews

½ December 13, 2013
PHENOMENAL series - movie in it's entire was on today...wow. Meryl can play anything, and Pacino should have gotten awards for his performance as Roy Cohn. Maybe he DID.
August 20, 2011
This is one of the best mini series/t.v.movie ever put on televison. Mike Nichols Angels in America is magnificent, if depressing look at the AIDS problem that hit us. Al Pacino, and Meryel Streep are at there usual best, and both won Golden Globes for there work. I recommend this to anybody who likes great story telling, and acting. Please don't miss this!
½ July 8, 2011
Such am Amazing Mini Series that is hard to describe.Nothing like you'd expect, often Very Dark with creepy Angels with Black Wings.Touches on many subjects, struggling Mormons about their Religion, Cancer, Corrupt Lawyers, Cancer, Aids, many things good & bad.A Well acted & Written MASTERPIECE that was water cooler fodder for months.I will never forget this Mini Series & intend to own it.
½ October 12, 2010
I'd like to rate my first Mini Series here: Angels in America - 8.5/10 - First of all, I must say Al Pacino and Meryl Streep were beyond awesome (I think I prefer Al Pacino this time, or maybe he was playing a bigger role and appeared more often than Meryl). There were some certain parts of the story I still didn't understand (mostly about US politics in Reagan part), otherwise the series was another inspiring, humourous (I'm laughing to death every time 'she' appears LMAO), harrowing and stunning, especially the issue about the forgiveness. Although the movie was 'homosexuality' themed, the kernel part of this are much more profound than that. I wish I had a chance to watch it in an opera, or a play.
September 22, 2010
I always wondered what it was like....
August 24, 2010
Absolutely perfect in every way <3
August 21, 2010
Supported by strong cast, it's a series of homo relationships, AIDS and Mormons....
August 17, 2010
Brilliantly acted, directed and written.
August 17, 2010
Brilliantly acted, directed and written.
August 9, 2010
The best movie that wasn't released in theaters. Rather, this was a six part mini-series that played in HBO, directed by the great Nichols and boasting a cast that brings their A-games,and then some. Al Pacino gave his greatest performance of the past ten years as homophobic and Communist-hating litigator Roy Cohn. Pacino is just amazing, there isn't a false note in his performance. Emma Thompson excels as the beautiful angel appearing in visions. Patrick Wilson, Mary-Louis Parker, Ben Shenkman--all great. But the crowning achievement is Meryl Streep, in three very distinct roles, who is a force of nature.Angels In America is a brilliant pay, and its film adaptation is just as astonishingly good.
July 28, 2010
Beautiful, unforgettable
½ July 27, 2010
Though quite lengthy and even a bit rambling at times, "Angels in America" is an astounding piece of important storytelling. The cast is a dream come true for any director, and Mike Nichols is a director who we know to be worthy of such a dream cast. It's a great film.
June 26, 2010
Amazingly acted, directed, written, produced..... Best miniseries ever. Astonishing achievement by Mike Nichols and all involved. Look out for amazing performances by Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Emma Thompson, Jeffrey Wright, Justin Kirk, Mary Louise Parker and Patrick Wilson.
January 23, 2010
This 6-hour masterpiece is by far the best mini-series ever released. Part II: Perestroika is written, and flows, much better in this screenplay than in the original script. Thankfully Tony Kushner had more time to look over his script for this 'film.' This shows that even 35 or so years after "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," Mike Nichols can honestly do no wrong in his direction of this script with the fantastic cast that was handed to him... and the themes presented in Kushner's masterpiece will always be relevant, and this will always be one of my favorite 'films.'
½ January 19, 2010
Now Firstly I must say that I am going to review this as a film rather than a mini series as this is the format I watched Angels In America.
Firstly as complex as it is long Angels In America is In my opinion eventually gives a moving viewing experience but there is a lot of crap in this, that obscures the main themes in the movie.
Moreover I know the play is 7 hours long but there really wasn't a need to make the film nearly 6 hours and I honestly believe that this condensed into a two and a half hour Movie would be 5 stars and maybe a modern classic.
Set at the point AIDS started to rear its ugly head properly in America (1985), Angels in America tells the story of a group of interconnected characters that ultimately are united by loss and loneliness.
In reference to the characters for once the great cast really did not disappoint and there were also great performances by the lesser know actors (particularly Justin Kirk).
Angels is less about the horror of AIDS and more about human behavior and actually the 'End of Days' (the concept of the end of the world).
I think this really is a hard movie to review because there is simply so much of it to consider,yes I was entertained and yes the movie is well constructed as well as acted.
The 'but' I was about to add to that sentence is that the more I think about it the more I believe Tony Kushner had a great movie on his hands, but in making it this long allmost ruined it.
In summary the crass way to describe Angels In America would be Philadelphia on LSD, seriously though Angels is above average with great performances but is confusing in some places and could have been so much better.
January 19, 2010
I think that is by far the best miniseries that I have ever seen. Al Pacino gave one of the most brilliantly crafted performances in this entire miniseries. But the person that I was most impressed with is Jeffery Wright as Belize. His Performance really grabbed me the most. This miniseries is filled with such beautiful imagery. Mike Nichols really knows what he is doing. Tony Kushner really ought to take a bow for writing such a beautiful piece.
½ November 19, 2009
A drama movie for TV. It is very well done. I think Meryl Streep and Al Pacino were really good in their roles specially Meryl who played several nice characters. Though the chapters are long but the movie is really interesting.
September 15, 2009
Honestly boring and longated to the point of frustration. Even patience can meet its match...this was it.

Feeling to tell the stories of gay jews and mormons while linking them to religion and physiological death, this film truly becomes complete opera in which white figures of light can redeem its closet presence in which the victims preside.

A truly long boring movie with little or no humor and all the while hear a bunch of guys argue about love and dishonesty. Even Angels cant save the America in Angels in America.

Written By: Xou Xiong
March 5, 2009
[font=Palatino Linotype]Angels in America is a fabulous movie. Even though it's 6 hours in length, my attention never left it. It is one of my favorite movies, and I can watch it anytime. Being a huge fan of Al Pacino and Meryl Streep, they definately didn't disappoint. It was interesting to see the newcomers as well. Jeffery Wright was TREMENDOUS! What an incredible experience, and I recommend it to anyone who is open to this type of storyline.[/font]
February 4, 2009
although theological unsound the series does bring an interesting perspective many may be naive to. I obviously disagree with much of its content but its contrariety is tolerable and at points profound in nature. However the pro-homosexual propaganda in the end and secular theology made me think i was in a Dan Brown movie.