Animalympics - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Animalympics Reviews

½ October 28, 2016
Good PG satire from the first era of Saturday Night Live.
July 28, 2015
Excellent animation and characters bursting with personality this movie is a great for furfags for any age
August 28, 2013
Although it's got its moments of funny political incorrectness, the film is ultimately targeted at a very very young audience and it's unlikely anyone but them (or the nostalgic) will find much to enjoy in it.
June 5, 2013
Memories from childhood
October 22, 2012
When I was a little kid, this movie made me laugh and cry. Most of the songs were done by members of the band "10cc" (you probably know them from songs like, "The things we do for Love" and "I'm not in Love!" Voices by.. well you can read them listed here - all did a great job. Simpsons fans will recognize some of Harry Shearer's ... maybe. Even though at the time I did not know all the sportscasters and celebs that were being parody'ed it still made me laugh and the jokes were understandable - great for kids and adults. Boys and girls liking various sports will get to see their fav's played out here. The movie also shows great team work, Love & friendship, as well as friendship to people from other countries. When you watch & hear this movie, you will be amazed that it was made in 1979. HIGHLY recommended.
January 7, 2012
Years and years ago, Warner Bros. put out cartoons with carictures of famous people or animals doing stupid things, well, this sort of reminded me of that, but in a late 70's sort of way. Let's have the animal kingdom put out it's own version of the Olympic games and spend one hour and 19 minutes with no plot, just one event after another! Super boring, and filled with gowdawful music you'd only hear from that time period. The only redeeming thing about this is the cheesy graphics introducing each sport. But that's it/
June 2, 2010
A forgotten creative masterpiece I just rediscovered on youtube. Animals compete for their continents against each other in sporting events broadcast by the Z.O.O network. Great voicework and excellent characters abound - like Bolt Jenkins - the rags to riches alligator - and the bizarre love story between the marathon running french goat Rene Fromage and the african lion Kit Mumba. Perhaps the highlight though are the songs by ex-10cc frontman Grahm Gouldman. Excellent stuff.
½ May 2, 2010
Back when animated films were made with traditional 2D and comedy was clever, there was Animalympics. It was a wonderful parody of the Olympic games and was very enjoyable to watch.
April 30, 2010
A great cartoon feature for kids of all ages.
December 1, 2009
a great film from my childhood,funny...would like to see it again
½ August 14, 2009
Very enjoyable old film.
June 10, 2009
The only reason I know this is that out of the handful of films that Pink Floyd's allowed to use their music for, this was one of them with "One of These Days".
February 23, 2009
This 1980s farce on the Olympics done with animals acting human is at times charming and breezy.
February 19, 2009
The spirit (and individual sports) of the olympic games get charmingly anthropomorphized in this strange but entertaining mock-newscast coverage of the "Animalympic Games". Alligators, otters, lions, penguins and other critters take their shots at glory, with the humor often simply revolving around watching how, say, a flamingo would handle herself on a pair of ice skates. There are some digs at the cheesiness of tv sports coverage, and also the shallowness of the modern sporting industry itself, but mainly director Steven Lisberger (he went on to do "Tron") and company are content to mine slapstick laughs out of gags like a squadron of squids trying to cope with a runaway bobsled. Its lack of a cohesive storyline (there are few 'main' characters, and only occasional glimmers of any recurring plot arcs) may keep you from really immersing yourself in the movie, but it also keeps things breezy, light, and above all, fun. Special mention should be made of Graham Gouldman's outstanding original songs and music, which sparkle with both bouncy charm and lyrical poignancy.
January 15, 2009
this is probably one of the most creative, well animated, and underrated cartoon movies ever, especially for its time. simply awesome. i remember watching this as a kid. just recently saw this again and i still love it. they need to bring this out on DVD!
½ November 1, 2008
My indoctrination to the love of sport and the beauty of fair play.
September 18, 2008
almost forgot the story since when i was kid to watched this moive, just remember the music was good, the movie seems like music video, may be try to find the DVD to watch again and recall the memory.
August 19, 2008
i've seen bits and pieces when i was younger, but now can't seem to find it.
July 25, 2008
best movie.
the music, animation, and fun-factor are aligned perfectly. for whatever reason i watched this all the time when i was a kid. the otter was the coolest.
July 19, 2008
This movie was suprisingly good; there's an original idea (animated Olympics, "as-seen on TV"), some great jokes and some brilliant animation (mostly near the beginning). The songs are pretty good too!

It's a funny little movie that derseves some more recognition (and maybe an updated sequel). I'd definitley recommend this movie. And until someone releases this DVD, the whole movie is available on YouTube.