Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story Reviews

February 19, 2016
It was okay just that Kevin Sullivan waited way to long to make the final installment.
December 30, 2014
Great story line! I love Gilbert in this and loved the reunion of Anne and Gilbert! Good ending to this series!
September 30, 2014
Anne & Gilbert don't belong in this movie. It's like they wandered out of Avonlea and found themselves on this set.
½ October 14, 2013
Now I know a television movie of this caliber normally doesn't grant itself a review however, I grew up with Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. I religiously watched them as a child all the way up until I was a teenager....so when the flu took over my body, I was longing for viewing comforts from the past and for some reason all I wanted to do was watch Anne's adventures in Green Gables.
The download took about 2 days but I got everything: Green Gables, Avonlea, The Continuing Story and the television show, The Road to Avonlea which I'd never heard of before but stars Sara Polley.
During my instability, the Gables struck my heart with warmth and through my fever induced tears brought laughter. Watching Gables & Avonlea was exactly what I wanted/needed.
Which is why I want to talk about this pile of garbage called: Anne of Green Gables the Continuing Story.
Kevin Sullivan how could you ruin such a good thing? As writer, director and producer of the first two films based on LM Montgomery's classics I expected much more from you.
Everything in this film is wrong wrong wrong from the start. First off the timing is not continuous with the first two films. For example, Anne is....roughly 18 when her and Gilbert kiss on the bridge and become engaged...he states that it will take him 3 years to finish medical school and then they would be married, which according to my calculations (and this very fine blog here) it would be 1889. This pile of crap...excuse me...I mean movie, centers around world war 1 (1918) and states they have been engaged for 5 years...however that is incorrect, they would have been engaged for 11 years and judging by both their appearances it looks like it.
All of the characters are much older than their characters are supposed to be. Diana (Schuyler Grant) has completely shed any form of baby fat on her face and looks more like Laura Linney than like Diana. Fred has been completely replaced with a new actor. Marilla's dead...yet Rachel is still alive..? Anne and Gilbert look so old they should have grandchildren by now (Yep I said it).
It doesn't even feel like Follows is reprising her role as Anne, and every actor isn't speaking in that decadent royal way that I've become so accustomed to. Even crude Josie Pye felt contrived. The film was made in 2000 and it shows, from the dialect to the production value. Everything feels fake; the acting, the storyline, the sets. It's as if we are watching a terrible play. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you write these characters that we hold near and dear to our hearts and toss them into a very lame story about World War 1. (I'm talking to you Mr Sullivan) Even in the books Anne & Gilbert don't go to war, their CHILDREN do. It makes no sense.
The only nice thing about this movie is we get a lot of Anne and Gilbert screen time (Jonathan Crombie is delicious) but it doesn't feel real, it feels terribly fake, even Anne professing her love for Gilbert made me want to turn off the film and watch the last five minutes of Anne of Avonlea, because those five minutes of the last film, have more purity with the acting, production value,...even the fucking score...than "The Continuing Story" will ever have.
This isn't even worth a score but since I'm a generous person I'll give it a 1/10
August 19, 2013
I can honestly say I absolutely despise this movie and think CBC should be ashamed for destroying one of Canada's great pieces of classic literature. I remember reading that the writer didn't think there was enough material from the books to use it as a guide so they decided to make a was movie. Yeah the books aren't action packed but neither is Jane Austin and we don't change the story. The Anne stories are funny and real and relatable. If they had continued we would have seen her first years of marriage and move to a new town with strange and dark characters, her life with her brood of capricious children. And finally the story of World War I with all it's tragedies as told from the prospective of her youngest daughter. I really hope that one day someone has the courage to faithfully adapt the Anna of Green Gables series.
April 16, 2013
The best one - Anne finds Gil during the war and they finally return home to Green Gables!
April 1, 2013
The plot develops beautifully. A story comparable in its culmination to the climax to The Lord of the Rings.
January 30, 2013
Could only watch about 15 minutes. COMPLETELY boring.. lacks any charm and does not make any sense when it comes to years. Huge disappointment. The first two were fantastic. Anne doesn't seem like the same dreamy Anne we know and love.. I walked away and just stopped the film. Even my mum hated it and only kept watching a bit longer.
January 26, 2013
I loved Anne of Green Gables (1985) and Anne of Avonlea (1987). it was a surprise that they came out with a third. But after I saw it I thought it was really great too. Megan Follows is a very wonderful actress in my humble opinion...
½ January 23, 2013
NO. No, no, no, no, no.
January 22, 2013
Maybe I'll get to see all the Green Gables series by the end of the week with over 12 hours of film. In this film, Anne doesn't have the same enthusiasm as she did as a child.
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
½ August 8, 2012
This was the last movie in the Anne triology. I'm Glad. Gilbert goes to war. Anne gets Stuck in a sticky situation with her ex-co-worker who ask for his baby to be brought through enemy lines of war and home to Avenloe. This is a sad story. Diane and her Husband constantly Fight. Marilla (real life)has passed on before they began shooting. Rachel is down in the dumps alone. everyone is filled with fear.
June 28, 2012
I will have to pass on the continuation of a story I never watched.
½ June 20, 2012
What a positively splendid ending to the trilogy. I wasn't fancy for the entire movie but the train scene with the toddler and his big smile I felt was the perfect wrap-up to the series. And a ginger at that! lol sweet ending. :)
June 17, 2012
I'm a huge fan of the Anne of Green Gables series, including the books. However, this "continuing story" feels forced. It's dark and depressing and a complete distraction from all the things I've learned to love about Anne. During the entire movie, I missed Annie's whimsy, I missed her spirit and her lust for life. Too much of the movie felt hopeless and when hope eventually returned, I was disinterested and disconnected. I'm glad I saw it, so I can cross if off my list, but I cannot recommend it to anyone else. Instead, pick up the first two parts of this series. Learn to love Anne's heart. THAT, I insist upon.
June 5, 2012
Great third entry in the series! Great in Widescreen and Fullscreen!
May 19, 2012
A mixed bag but still pretty great.
May 18, 2012
love the trilogy 5 stars
½ May 9, 2012
not my favorite of this wonderful series