Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens Reviews

October 4, 2016
A very clever documentary. Insightful and revealing, though in no way critical or an exposà (C). Enjoyable but still a bit thought provoking.
½ June 25, 2015
An interesting little retrospective on the life and times of famed photographer Annie Leibovitz, hitting on her discovery of photography while in the Phillipines in the 60's with her family, her rolling the dice to study in San Francisco and winding up with Rolling Stone Magazine as an up and coming then resident photographer, before heading over to become whats she famous for being the photographer in residence for Vanity Fair covering some of their most landmark and iconic covers. Very enlightening and cool to see where Annie gets her influences from, seeing her still working from various classic formats, and how she stages some of her later sets in order to keep things interesting since she has gone from covering political subjects to celebrities. Any photography buff would find this a good watch to say the least.
August 19, 2014
A good film, about annie.
May 31, 2014
Learnt so much about her.
citawijaya
½ December 2, 2011
It's a decent docu, didn't really show you anything new if you are Annie's fan who already know the story of her life. But still watchable never the less.
October 31, 2011
An incredible documentary that explores the seemingly effortless talents of one of the greatest Photographers to grace magazines, books and Polaroid's since forever. Directed with obvious affection by her equally talented sister, this film lays bare her photographic failures, her relationships, her children and her mentors with sharp observational wit, always allowing the great woman to take centre stage and explain with breathtaking in-urgency, her rise to (apparently unexpected) fame. Awesome.
September 3, 2011
Lots of great photos. And something to learn for those who are interested in photography.
½ August 19, 2011
Her photos are astonishing, this movie was a great look at Annie's career.
July 3, 2011
Stunning. A great achievement in capturing the photography process, the excellent career of Annie, history and glamour etc. through the ages, Susan Sontag and why she matters, what it's really like to be on tour with The Rolling Stones in the 70's (hint: every sober person converts to cocaine and heroin abuse), and a lot more. Including great interviews with brilliant photographers, and friends, actors, models, musicians et al - you'd be doing yourself a great disservice putting 'Life Through a Lens' off.
June 24, 2011
i love the Meryl Streep and Nicole Photots
January 31, 2011
It's not going to rock your world or reveal any secrets about how Annie shoots. It's mostly about the way she thinks about shooting, which is interesting if you're interested in that kind of a thing.
½ January 23, 2011
Fine documentary where we get to know one of the most known people photographers in our time. Annie Leibovitz surely have lived a adventure-filled life and her passion for picturetaking is shown and explained. She truly takes marvelous shots of famous people. A fun watch - it was cool to se all the famous people and their pictures in the film. A film that was pretty emotional when you got to know the backround information of the pictures.
October 15, 2010
Great documentary of a great photographer. I saw a lot of myself in her which was interesting as I have never seen it before.
½ September 24, 2010
This is an insightful documentary about this extraordinary photographer. Anyone who is into fashion, art, or photography will likely appreciate this even more. I highly recommend it!
May 2, 2010
Such good subject, such bad execution.
February 10, 2010
Wow, realy inspirational stuff. Well atleast for someone who wants to do something creative. Do what you like and if people notice it good and if not well... keep doing it. I need to buy myself a copy! But some truly shitty camerawork and editting
January 16, 2010
A portrait of Annie Leibovitz one of the most famous photographers of our time. A real treat for someone interested in photographing. Tells the story of Leibovitz from the rock'n'roll photoshoots with the Rolling Stone magazine all the way to becoming the Vanity Fairs number one celebrity portrait snapper.
½ January 13, 2010
I wish I could take photos like her or make a documentary like her sister!!!
December 28, 2009
Me parece fascinante como la fotografia captura un momento especifico, y como los fotografos son capaces de moldear su vision a traves de ese intimo retrato. Sin duda, Annie Leibovitz es una de las mejores fotografas que he visto, ya que sus fotografias ofrecen algo unico, una mirada estilizada de una verdad que esconden las personas.
Este documental ofrece una perspectiva acerca de la gran vida que ha vivido Leibovitz pero lo mejor es simplemente observar sus maravillosas fotografias. Desde sus dias con Rolling Stone en plena era hippie hasta las portadas elaboradas en Vanity Fair, Annie Leibovitz demuestra que es una gran artista.
Para cualquiera que le apasione la fotografia, este es un documental esencial.