Anonymous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anonymous Reviews

½ December 17, 2014
Very well written and great movie. Very interesting as well
JohnSilver
½ December 14, 2014
Beaucoup de saut dans le temps, des personnages qui vieillissent et d'autres qui ne semblent pas prendre d'âge... Difficile à suivre au dà (C)but. Une fois tout ceci assimilà (C), le reste n'est pas si mal!
½ October 24, 2014
I'm not normally one who enjoys the ye olde type movie but this was very moving and littered with sumptuous sets, costumes and a ye olde hottie or two.
½ September 12, 2014
When I first saw this, I enjoyed it at the same time confused when I didn't know what was happening because of its structure. But when I watched it again, I enjoyed it more because it became more understanding. The director, who's known directing disaster films, did a fine job directing a film on Shakespeare that was well made on how well the performances were, along with the writing and the script. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 18, 2014
Good acting but very slow and long drawn out story about the true happenings regarding William Shakespeare
August 14, 2014
A great historical fantasy drama. Another great Sunday night movie!
July 28, 2014
Roland Emmerich seems an unexpected choice to direct this intriguing historical drama that audauciously claims Shakespeare was not really author of thework attributed to him, but really that of an Earl (Rhys Ifans), who must hide authorship due to his complicated position and a murky connection to Queen Elizabeth (Vanessa Redrave, excellent). Sumptuos production, starts out a little confusingly (abundant flashbacks are not very well signposted) and has a few dull spots, but remains an effectively lurid, if fictional, tale of conspiracy.
July 27, 2014
HISTORIA INTERESANTE QUE ACTORES
July 20, 2014
Impressive cinematography and performances; Rhys Ifans is an absolute standout. Despite its historical creativity, there are some great lines about the power and endurance of words. The money invested in authentic Elizabethan England setting representation is well spent in that it shows how emotionally involved audiences became with Shakespeare's plays. What if Shakespeare was a fraud, well at the end of the day, the answer doesn't really matter. In this instance, it is the journey that matters and a mesmerising one it is.
½ June 22, 2014
Interesting take on who actually created the body of work credited to William Shakespeare.
June 12, 2014
Really enjoyed this. Some really good performances, an intriguing plot, and some great FX work! Probably the best depictions of London in the 1500s that you'll ever likely to see.
A surprising film from the man who gave us 'Independance Day' and 'The Day After Tomorrow'!
May 21, 2014
Better made, it might be JUST 3 but
It's gets us with great staging and color...
the plot is good
½ May 11, 2014
With unawareness, 'Anonymous' (2011) tries hard to explain Shakespeare's work-life and its history. It isn't problem solving, but is a dark and interesting visual experience. Love it or hate it.
½ May 4, 2014
While it is the most mature Roland Emerich movie to date and the acting is decent, it is sometimes hard to buy the theory that the director presents to us about one of the most influential writers of our time.
April 27, 2014
An interesting speculation and well played out, leaving nothing to 'what if?' and perhaps even most convincing. A blend of Shakespeare in Love & Elizabeth, and equally as good as both, Anonymous is screened well and acted brilliantly, its only flaw being a little confusing at first in the backwards and forth between time frames.
April 24, 2014
Roland Emmerich oferece sua marca registrada bombástica visual e emocional, mas o filme "Anônimo" pára e tenta convencer o público de sua teoria semi-cozida de que Shakespeare é uma fraude, menos convincente, torna-se
April 9, 2014
Interesting theory on the legacy of Shakespeare, and I highly enjoyed the way his plays were used for political statements. Rhys Ifans is great as the puppeteer behind the grand illusion of the playwright, and Vanessa Redgrave is equally effective as the floozy, Queen Elizabeth. The film's shortcomings are in it's simplicity and I wish it had delved more into why the Earl of Oxford was such a brilliant writer, instead of him just doing it in his spare time. It also plays out as a greatest hits of Shakespeare for a large section, as if to remind viewers of his work; which we all know. Not terrible, and Roland Emmerich has certainly made worse films but this has an intriguing idea and there are some crazy turns in the final act.
½ April 5, 2014
A cracking epic full of intrigue and drama, held up by some earnest performances, the most noteworthy being that of mr Ifans who is never less than good, and here approaches great.
It is perhaps a shade too long, but then that is the trend for anything that isn't straight to DVD these days!
Well worth a gander for anyone interested in Shakespeare plays and the power they hold over us to this day.
March 24, 2014
Costumes, pomp, english accents, and swashbuckle,
but absolutely no heart.
It comes across like a big unfocused mess.
I did not get it.
½ March 18, 2014
John Orloff has written and Roland Emmerich has directed a truly remarkable and highly believable tale. It is a triumph for Oxfordians.
It is also an excellent immersion into the world of Elizabethan England and introduction into the world of Shakespeare and the controversies over authorship.