Another State of Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Another State of Mind Reviews

April 25, 2016
Probably the best documentary on punk rock that I have personally seen. "The Decline of Western Civilization" is more entertaining and has better music in it, but this feels more authenticate and deals with some interesting realities that that film does not confront. The setup is a North American tour set up by Youth Brigade for themselves and Social Distortion. It's a real D.I.Y. effort with Youth Brigade buying an old school bus and putting up the money and making the arrangements. A lot of the youthful idealism of punk rock is faithfully captured ... the shows are all "all ages" shows, the bands stay in communal houses in cities they visit, and nobody is in it for the money ... or at least they don't think they are. The movie also captures what happens when youthful idealism runs full steam into real life. The bus breaks down, they don't get paid for shows, and pretty soon nobody is getting paid anything, and band members and roadies start deserting the tour. The tour is essentially called off in DC where the bus fails completely and Social Distortion jump ship. Fascinating stuff from an "early days of punk rock" perspective (especially for Canadians since the tour goes through Canada first ... Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal are highlighted), but interesting even for those not interested in punk per se.
February 2, 2012
This was a cool document of what it was like to be in a hardcore band on the road in 1982.
April 17, 2011
Classic punk film of record label BYO's tour in Canada. Featuring great footage of Social Distortion, Youth Brigade, and even hardcore legends Minor Threat.
November 10, 2010
if you love punk rock music and want to see what it was like for these guys before punk was a bit more excepted and to see the beingings of a young mike ness and social distortion definatly the film you want to see
August 6, 2010
This is worth owning, it's on dvd now, I have it on VHS, it's an oldie but a goody. It has lots of different perspectives (so you won't agree with all of them), and it has some of the best music in my opinion... Social Distortion, Youth Brigade, Minor Threat... loved it!
August 6, 2010
My favorite part has to be Mike Ness describing his typical day, which basically consists of getting up, watching 8 or 9 hours of TV, then going out to party. Amazing.

Spot Chris Walter in the Winnipeg crowd for bonus points!
July 17, 2010
3 stars for the school bus and all the fat lips, +1 bonus star for mike ness thrashing around on the floor.
½ March 14, 2010
great documentary about the punk scene back in the '80s.
January 10, 2010
my favorite documentary on punk rock/80's hardcore. social distortion and youth brigade made this a classic.
January 10, 2010
my favorite punk rock/80's hardcore documentary of all time. shows how social distortion and youth brigade take a broken down school bus around the country and Canada and what they go through while on tour then meet up with straight edge band minor threat in Washington dc. I thought it was a great low budget documentary.
December 11, 2009
This movie is punk, by punks, about punks. It's so incredibly raw, which is really the only way it could have been done. So cool/weird to see these guys who are all so famous and old now just when they were starting off. I love this movie because it captured a time in a scene that can only be reproduced now.
November 22, 2009
This is a great documentary, the filming crew worked close to the bands during the tour which provides for historically relevant footage.
August 6, 2008
Really enjoyable - especially if you grew up listening to these bands.