Another Thin Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Another Thin Man Reviews

February 18, 2012
How I'm enjoying watching the whole series of Thin Man movies! Another great storyline. This one features cameos from Marjorie Maine and Shemp Howard.
October 14, 2011
I adore the THIN MAN series. Shemp has a cameo.
August 29, 2011
Not my favorite one but still it made me laugh.
½ June 24, 2011
Even though with each outing, the Thin Man series gets a little more predictable, the coupling of Loy and Powell make it something that no other couple could do. Although in this one people get killed off one by one so easily, it is not a violent mystery movie. On the contrary, still extremely funny. Was it just me, or was Asta just tacked in for this one?
½ May 21, 2011
Enjoyable, but a clear step down from the delightful antics of the first two films. There's still a great deal to love here, as the two leads are so much fun. However, there are a number of places where the film lags, particularly in the early going as the plot takes its time unfolding. The real stand out sequence here takes place in the dance club, which has it all--comedy, mystery,dancing, and Powell & Loy at their most flirtatious.
½ January 16, 2011
These are some of Noelle's favorite movies. After watching this one, I can see why. It was fun. Wm Powell and Myrna Loy are fantastic together and the cast of underworld criminals are colorfully funny. The plot twists and winds around but ultimately is not as important as Astra's antics and the snapped wise dialogue. Good job.
January 9, 2011
Another beauty. Takes a while to get going, but then gets awesome!
September 20, 2010
Although the Thin Man movies get more predictable as the series goes on, the third movie is still a good movie, it's very funny.
August 19, 2010
Have seen this one a few times now; I still really enjoy the chemistry between Powell and Loy.
Always fun to go back and watch these great old films.
½ June 30, 2010
Nora Charles: How did you find me here?
Nick Charles: I saw a great group of men standing around a table. I knew there was only one woman in the world who could attract men like that. A woman with a lot of money.

Always with the great comeback lines, and his co-star loaded with her own ammo of lines to fire back.

William Powell as Nick Charles and Myrna Loy as Nora Charles continue their comedy detective story, with now their own kid.
Nowhere else would you find a perfect duo to deliver such memorable lines!
May 26, 2010
The formula of the series is pretty much set, but the murder is interesting, the suspects all strange and Nick & Nora remain their charming selves. Not even the addition of a baby to their family can slow the sleuthing duo down. AND the film has Shemp from the Three Stooges in it.
April 25, 2010
Powell and Loy are great as always as their iconic characters Nick and Nora Charles. This third film in the series still has the humor of the first two but lacks a little on the sharp wit. Another great mystery though with some great moments such as a lot of ex-crooks bringing babies to the Charle's baby's first birthday (Shemp Howard of Three Stooges fame is one of these crooks).
½ April 15, 2010
Another Thin Man (1939)

Here's the third in the Thin Man series of mysteries.

And, they're on another very slow train ride for the Charles family. In the end of the last movie, on the train from San Francisco, Nora (Myrna Loy) tells Nick (William Powell) that she's expecting, and by the time they reach New York, (in this sequel) little Nick Jr. is already born and celebrating his first birthday. Wow! I know Amtrak is slow, but not that slow.

In this film, the Charles family business manager, Colonel Burr MacFay (C. Aubrey Smith) has called Nick and Nora to his house to investigate some threats he's been getting by an old partner, Phil Church (Sheldon Leonard). Colonel MacFay did him dirt and had him sent-up for prison. Now Phil is out and the Colonel is getting pretty nervous.

One night there's a shot and the Colonel is found dead in his bed. Not only is Phil and his right hand man, the knife-wielding Cuban, Dum-Dum (Abner Biberman) but many of the people in the MacFay household are possible suspects. Nat Pendleton is back as Lieutenant Guild and there are plenty of young actors that went onto bigger and better things, like, Virginia Grey, Ruth Hussey, Shemp Howard, and Patric Knowles.

Naturally, like in all the Thin Man movies, all of the suspects gather together in the finale where Nick puts all the pieces of the puzzle together.
½ February 8, 2010
I liked this film as well.
½ February 1, 2010
Too dark and plotcentric to be a worthy successor.
½ January 25, 2010
Razor wit, clever mystery, lots of alcohol, and a cameo by Shemp Howard. A nearly perfect movie.
January 6, 2010
Classy time and the plot is enough to keep you guessing. Easy to see why Powell and Loy were so popular in the thirties. In this installment, the body count mounts and the suspect list becomes unmanageable. Yet, in the end, Powell enlightens the cops, as he entertains the audience, with his astute summation of what happened and revelation of "who-done-it." Watch for a baby carrying gun toting Shemp Howard of stooge fame. Wonderful movie.
neffielee
½ January 3, 2010
Oh, how I love Powell and Loy; especially together. This is the fourth of the Thin Man series that I've seen, and so far, it was probably my least favorite. The formula is still there (mystery, comedy, and charm) and works quite well, but something felt off. According to Robert Osborne, this was William Powell's first movie in two years; as he had taken off for illness and the death of his beloved, Jean Harlow. Perhaps, he was off his game a little? It's still a delight to watch, as you can never go wrong with Loy and Powell.
Mr Awesome
½ July 31, 2009
The third in the Thin Man series also comes up third in quality. Nick and Nora go out to Long Island to visit the manager of Nora's father's finances, because he's worried about a former employees threats. Former employee Phil Church (Sheldon Leonard) claims that if he dreams about a person 3 times, that person winds up dead. Sure enough, the old man winds up dead, and it's Church who is the prime suspect. Things only get more convoluted from here, as the detectives hunt down Church and his gang. If you've seen the previous two Thin Man movies, it's fairly easy to spot the murderer early on, as a formula seems to be developing. They also seem to be running out of gags to do with the dog, Asta. At one point, and for no apparent reason, the dog does a backwards flip while walking towards the stairs, in what appears to be cuteness for cuteness' sake. Speaking of cuteness for cuteness' sake, a baby has been added to Nick and Nora's life, although it plays a very minor role in the proceedings (just at the end). There's still some great dialogue here, though I find it odd when characters who appear to be good, are suddenly found out to be bad, and their manner of speaking changes from erudite to bowery in a matter of seconds. Very odd indeed, see. If youz mugs are in da mood fer a old-fashioned "who-done-it?", you'd best stick wit the foist two movies, see. But if youz arredy seen em, and ya needz yer fix o' flatfeets and gumheels, with hot petunias and dames wit heaters under their jalopies, i guess dis is bettah dan nuttin.