Anthony Adverse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anthony Adverse Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
Ugh. That was a horrible waste of my time.
October 15, 2015
Two words: Bo and ring. Long, tedious, melodramatic, drippy music score. Fortunately, the following year (1937), Fredric March got not one but two opportunities to send up such meretricious media malarkey, both in Technicolor no less: "Nothing Sacred" and the original (and best) version of "A Star is Born."
October 15, 2015
a total MGM A picture in the truest sense of the term the dream factory at its finest
September 23, 2013
Generally forgettable movie for which follows the adventures of the title character (Fredric March), who gets involved with many characters during both his childhood and as an adult. He hops from job to during a ten-year period and eventually fall in love a head cook's wife (Olivia de Havilland). Most people would regard this as one of the worst movies to be nominated for Best Picture. It is not very memorable, but it has nice costumes and peculiar characters that bring it along through its 139 minute running time. Other than that, however, not much else in the offering. Even Claude Rains is not that great. Again, I say it for this movie as well, mediocre at best.
½ July 22, 2012
Actually Quite Good. Ignore the Tomato meter.
May 17, 2012
This was not as good as I would have expected, it could have been a great film with a rich story but the film got some where in the middle & never found it's feet.

It had great locations good acting talent but it just didn't work & midway the film got really slow & dragged heavily.

The physicality's of this film are great, ie great costume design & cinematography but as I well know it takes a lot more than that.

Olivia DeHavilland is a sensation though in a sense the films only saving grace....
jjnxn
½ January 15, 2012
Lumbering adaptation has a great supporting cast and a variable performance by March in the lead. Holds your interest since there is always some new potential calamity just over the horizon but it goes on far too long.
½ October 9, 2011
A vast life long story with many separate episodes packed into one film. All the parts were glanced at too briefly and it just didn't work. I liked Rains as the hard hearted Father of the lead but no-one else.
July 26, 2011
They packed an extremely long novel into 139 minutes? HA!
½ October 20, 2010
Not a great movie, but most of the story is pretty interesting, and some of the scenes are really exciting. What I hated about this movie was how long it was, and slow too. Overall pretty good, but it could be better.
½ February 15, 2010
Monday, February 15, 2010

(1936) Anthony Adverse

A little arbitruary but well made DRAMA and ADVENTURE film about during the times of swashbuckling starring the two- time Oscar winner Frederich March. An AVENTURE and DRAMA film about sacrifice, nobility and honor. This film has more drama than physical action.

Great and one of the most realistic (real life )in terms of a black and white film I had ever seen.

3.5 out of 4
December 25, 2009
Well, it's a very weak academy award nominee, but it's not too bad. It's long, boring, and badly plotted with some poor characterization-- a lot of Anthony's character development is assumed to have occurred, rather than have ogranically grown. But it has solid acting and a grand feel that makes it clear why it was nominated. Not a must see, but not a waste of time (even it it is about 30 mins too long, as most of the first half hour could have been cut).
June 20, 2009
a grand mgm production
½ May 4, 2008
I was not very impressed with this film. I found the acting phoony and overdone. Even Fredrick March was overdoing it. However, Olivia de Havilland was very pretty.
½ February 2, 2008
Pretty good adventure/romance film from 1936 starring Fredric March as the title character. It had a great beginning, Billy Mauch was entertaining as the young Adverse, but I though it lost some of its steam when Anthony went to Havana and then to Africa, and it never really recovered. The performances were good, Claude Rains and Gale Sondergaard (winning the very first Supporting Actress Oscar) were good villains (though I hated that African woman villain, she was way too underdeveloped). This movie would have been much better if it was longer, from what I've read, this is based on a novel that's about 1,200 pages, this shoud have been like a 4 hour long Gone with the Wind type film. It ends way too abruptly with nothing really resolved, without having read the novel, I just know that there was an ending like Tom Jones or Great Expectations, where everything comes together and the main character learns everything about his past. But not in this film, which is too bad.
½ January 24, 2008
I absolutely DESPISE the plot, theme and conclusion of this film based on the book. A talented cast and beautiful costumes can only do so much.
October 31, 2007
Oh my, the search for the lost love... one of the best films ever and Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'Love In The Time of Cholera' about to be released. Looking and looking and looking for the lost love.
September 7, 2007
Very romantic period piece about a boy who is abandoned and raised by his unknowing grandfather during napoleonic Europe. The film takes many interesting turns and only slows down on some occasions. Very good film and worth tracking down
September 6, 2007
Now I love old movies, but I still wasn't a fan of this one. The movie was almost in three or four different sections - the conception, the childhood, the adulthood, and the new child. I liked the first two and part of the adult section, but it was a really long feeling movie and I started to lose attention fast. The ending was lousy too.
July 29, 2007
A very difficult film to track down but it is totally worth finding. An adventure as only one of the older cinema classics could deliver.