Antiviral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Antiviral Reviews

April 11, 2014
A very surprising treat.
April 4, 2014
Antiviral shines a light on a terrifying panorama of the future; how fragile humans are, our obscene fascination with celebrities and beauty and how far we will go to obtain the same quality as them.
½ April 2, 2014
My biggest problem with this film was Caleb Landry Jones. An already glacial pace and aloof narrative collapses into the personality vortex that is the lead actor. Still, it's a promising first film with enough visual and intellectual ideas to keep me interested in the future projects of Cronenberg Jr.
½ March 29, 2014
Brandon Cronenberg has made a fittingly dark and superb directoral debut with Antiviral. This film was fantastically disturbing. It worked as both an under-your-skin psychological thriller and a bitingly original social commentary, while delving smoothly into art house territory. Sure, it's loaded with dark inspiration from his father's work-the great David Cronenberg-But Brandon C. is undoubtedly bringing something new to the table, and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us.
½ March 27, 2014
A great high-concept story about the fetishizing of celebrity and the rotting of our cultural mores. Great acting in the lead, unsettlingly creepy, beautifully shot, and yet...somehow tediously slow. It was nearly a waste of such a cool sci-fi concept. It felt almost overly-explained, which is the opposite problem most sci-fi flicks have. Cronenberg Jr did well in his debut however; a bit more palatable than his father, in my opinion. Worth a watch if you're patient and looking for something heady and moody.
March 24, 2014
I failed to understand this movie at all, the more it progressed into the story I was more and more lost on why you would even make this a movie.. I had to look up the plot afterwards to understand but I'm still lost. The movie was still entertaining but its very,, veeeerryyyy strange.
March 22, 2014
I don't know why but I love this film. Is it very slow? Yes... But it hits so close to today's society that if you make it through you will see the end results of our own culture at its extreme.
March 22, 2014
Fun, intelligent, dark move that functions on multiple levels.
½ March 7, 2014
Visually engaging with some great ideas. Unfortunately the story lacks subtlety and moves at a snails pace, making this an example of style over substance. Still it's an intriguing debut from Brandon (son of David) Cronenburg and I'm curious to see what he does next.
February 15, 2014
A flat and boring movie, yes it has that Cronenberg look and feel made famous by his father. But can't really recommend this as a enjoyable Sci-Fi
February 12, 2014
A weird little body-horror movie by David Cronenberg film which deals with celebrity obsession, bioengineering and piracy. I loved the idea of biological DRM although the moments of weirdness often seemed rather forced rather than consistent
February 10, 2014
a good debut from David Cronenbergs son. He had the feel and dark nature that his father has and I can see good things in his future in film. The movie as a whole is dark, has intense moments and very strange but the world that was made and details with small characters and the settings were very convincing and makes you into this new strange future. Celebrities come to be like gods to all the common folk and the commoners want to be sick just like their favorite celebraty. sadly I can almost see this happening but that may just be me. Caleb Jones does great at his role and even though I've never heard or seen of him before he can go far in acting. The movie won't be for everyone but it is worth checking out.
½ February 8, 2014
Somewhat intriguing, fairly disturbing, and very slow. A slightly above average mystery/drama with a lot of things going for it, but not many that make it stand out. It was still fairly enjoyable, but it is not a "must watch", specially if you dont like slow movies with a sometimes heavy ambience and creepy ideas.
½ February 8, 2014
Brandon Cronenberg's Antiviral certainly demonstrates the influence of the director's father, but Antiviral also shows the director developing his own aesthetic sensibility, one that is rooted in the school of body horror but that also clearly influenced by dispassionate cinema of directors like Haneke who present their films in a clinical, emotionless fashion. A harrowing assault on our celebrity-obsessed culture, Antiviral examines our need to connect with celebrities in order to form identities for ourselves. It is a film about the simulacral selves produced by a society of superficiality and consumerism. If the film seems to lack depth at times, it is because there is no depth any longer...only surfaces...
January 31, 2014
An audacious film debut from Brandon Cronenberg. I have always had a soft spot for body horror flicks and this certainly hits hard with its timely social commentary. The apple doesn't fall to hard from the tree indeed
½ January 27, 2014
WTF Movie of the year! Ahora no se, me tenia durante la primera mitad, me perdió hacia el final pero nunca me aburri. Putamente extraña en todo sentido.
January 26, 2014
Not what I thought it would be
January 24, 2014
Very good. Brings into question why we love celebrities so much, how far we'd go to get close to our obsessions, and how far people will go to make money off that obsession
½ January 15, 2014
The apple doesn't fall very far as Brandon Cronenberg gives us this sci fi lite look at a future society that will literally pay to be infected with the diseases of their favorite celebrity. A pristine aesthetic contrasts the moments of visceral body horror we have seen from his dad David. Brandon guides things with his own hands. While he clearly has some progress to make as a filmmaker this is a superb effort that leaves me yearning for the next.