Antwone Fisher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Antwone Fisher Reviews

December 10, 2017
Antwone Fisher is a tragic movie that brings mournful moments into everyday homes. In the beginning of the movie, Antwone was suppressed and frustrated. Things that he'd encountered in his past had caused a lot of anger, but as the movie progresses he opens up about his feelings and his frustrations slowly ease away. In the movie he writes a poem that shows a very deep and emotional side to him. Not many actors can play such a believing role. Derek Luke (Antwone Fisher) made me relate to his story and feel his pain. An example of this is when he opened up to the psychiatrist and finally told his story while he was incarcerated. The way his lips quivered, his eyes watered, and how he tried so hard to fight back his tears when he would tell an emotional part made the

movie that much more believable. While watching this movie I felt every tear as if it dropped from my own eye. The storyline was tragic and the acting took it to another level. Antwone Fisher is an iconic movie because of the depth, emotion, and growth in which the foundation of interest was set upon.
½ May 1, 2017
Solid movie, can't believe I waited until 2017 to see. Being based on true story always makes me wonder how accurate it was. Very good acting and never a moment when you wanted to tune it out, kept you watching. Highly recommend.
January 23, 2017
never saw this when it came out but it was on my list to see because I'm big Denzel fan and this was his directorial debut wow this was good feel good movie to see perfect night to watch this because there was so much hate on social media right now and in the world I needed to watch this so if you never seen this I highly recommend it !!!
September 24, 2016
Overall a very moving and penetrating film with strong performances all around. Instead of it starting off slow, it actually seems to start out a bit rushed in those early sessions between Antwone and his therapist (Denzel Washington). After a while the film falls into a good pace and rhythm as the story unfolds of Antwone's very challenging past through his revealing to his therapist. The bond formed between the therapist and patient extends well beyond professional boundaries, but as a result both men learn something very valuable about themselves in the journey and become better men due to that relationship.
It's a great autobiographical story and an impressive directorial debut from Denzel. He delivers another stellar performance here as well.
August 27, 2016
This is a dramatic story with wonderful acting inspired by the true story of Antwone Fisher and written by him. I found it informative about a way of life that I'm not familiar with. It was difficult to watch at times but also enjoyable overall.
March 29, 2016
Very powerful movie even if it doesn't all ring true.
½ March 5, 2016
Denzel shows he's every bit the director as he is actor. Hard to find any fault with this one. Touching without being corny. One of my favorite little-known gems.
December 5, 2015
Took time to watch this movie, and I have to say it's one of the best movie I've seen in a while. It is a very inspirational and motivational movie that makes you question yourself. Props to Antwone as well for being courages to share these deep personal secrets.
½ November 26, 2015
Did it know what to expect but really enjoyed it. Both chief actors were good, great story. Real
½ October 29, 2015
Great movie with well planned story
June 21, 2015
The story of the troubled upbringing and series of consequences put on screen beautifully with outstanding performances.
June 14, 2015
Memorable only as Washington's directorial debut.
June 6, 2015
My type of movie. I saw it for a second time some 5 years later, and reduced my rating a bit, but it is still my type of movie - a drama where the characters care and where they learn something about themselves, and sure enough where there is a positive outcome.
April 4, 2015
Outstanding film, my second view! I work with Foster Kids and my heart never stops aching nor do I ever stop reaching out to these children.
March 24, 2015
Not the type of film I normally am interested in, but enjoyable.
February 23, 2015
Conmovedora e impactante :)
½ February 17, 2015
Excellent story about an angered naval officer who must tell his story to a Navy psychiatrist. This endearing film is based upon a true story.
December 15, 2014
I just love Denzel's movies and the whole story is touching, with some amazing actors!
August 22, 2014
This is what I call a great directorial debut.
July 20, 2014
Every step is embedded with a melodramatic convention to the point that the narrative becomes completely predictable. On the other hand, Washington is likable as always.