Any Day Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Any Day Now Reviews

July 19, 2014
Such a sweet, funny, cute, and sad movie. Glad we found it randomly on Netflix.
July 15, 2014
Exceptional movie. Alan Cummings performance was stellar.
½ July 4, 2014
What a fantastic movie and well written and acted. It shows that we have come a long way as a society but it also shows that we still have a long way to go.
½ June 15, 2014
well i've just watched it and LOVED it - last film i saw alan cumming in was emma and he was deliciously oily but in this film fan-bloomin'-tastic. i've dehydrated myself from all the tears i shead watching it plus a bloomin' big lump in my throat. brilliant film and so did NOT deserve a rotten tomato award!
June 13, 2014
An unexpected surprise. This is an excellent moving drama addressing the deeply ingrained discrimination against gay parents. Although set in the late seventies it exposed the still current belief that vulnerable children are more at risk if they are exposed to gay lifestyle than living with drug dependant parents. one of the best gay theme movies I have seen that hopefully will help to move us one step further towards LGBT equality.
May 19, 2014
Any Day Now is a wonderfully bittersweet movie about a gay couple who are fighting for the custody of a boy with down syndrome after his mother was arrested for drugs so that the child doesn't get put into a group home where he won't get the attention that he needs. More than just a message-movie, Any Day Now is a well-directed film with outstanding performances. I've been putting off watching this movie for over a year now because I thought that it was going to be overly melodramatic, but this is a fine film and I'm glad that I finally got around to watching it. Highly recommended, check it out.
April 27, 2014
Rudy: Marco didn't ask to be born to a junkie, he didn't ask to be different.

Esta película empezó como un drama interesante que cuenta la historia de un drag queen llamado Rudy (Alan Cumming) que una noche conoce a Paul (Garret Dillahunt), y forman una conexión, pero debido a la confusión de Paul respecto a su sexualidad, deciden que es la última vez que se verán. Rudy al regresar a su apartamento, molestado por la música en alto volumen de su vecina, decide entrar y consigue solo a Marco (Isaac Leyva) que tiene retraso mental. Su madre drogadicta no ha regresado, por lo cual Rudy se siente responsable por él, y indignado por la situación decide llamar a Paul que es abogado, y buscar alguna solución. Juntos emprenden un viaje donde descubren amor incondicional y lo que significa darlo todo por alguien.

Esta es una película regida por formulas, y es experta en apretar todos los botones indicados para que los espectadores se sientan afectados por la historia, y logra su cometido. Tuve dificultad encontrando innovación y separándose de este tipo de películas que abundan en el mundo del cine. Aunque es conmovedora, es manipuladora también. Aparte de esto, si toca temas importantes acerca de como la justicia es discriminatoria acuerdo a la sexualidad de las personas. A pesar de si naturaleza formulaica esta no es una historia con un final feliz, lo cual fue refrescante.
April 22, 2014
"No one in this entire world wants him, except us. We want him. "
That's touching and make me cry out loud even watching the trailer. If you had a cerebral palsy brother, you could read me.
April 18, 2014
In 1979 a teenage boy with down syndrome, named Marco, is left alone after his neglectful mother is incarcerated on drug and prostitution charges. That night his neighbour, a young gay man named Rudy takes him into his home. The following day Marco is forced into the foster system. Rudy, feeling compassion for Marco, decides to fight for temporary custody of the boy. Marcos' life improves dramatically whilst in the care of Rudy and his partner, a Defence Attorney named Paul. When their homosexual lifestyle is finally discovered, Marco is taken from their care which begins a long and arduous battle with the bigoted and prejudiced 1970's American legal system to fight for full permanent custody.
While this is a fictitious story, it is inspired by the true events that many in the LGBT community have endured. This story was compelling and moving and also downright shocking. Alan Cumming was amazing in his role as Rudy but the real props go to Isaac Leyva who played Marco. His emotion, his light and his very being was put into his role and it shows.

It may not be your typical blockbuster and therefor not on your radar, but it should be! This independent film brings to light the harsh realities of the American, and in turn any first world, legal system and as Garret Dillahunt's character Paul says "There is no justice in the justice system".

Any Day Now was released on April 10th in selected theatres.
April 16, 2014
Looks heart a breaker
April 14, 2014
I hate sad endings but this movie still is amazing anyway. and who doesn't live Alan cumming
April 12, 2014
This is such a powerful movie and I am in awe of not ony Alan Cumming but Garrett Dillahunt as well. You cannot help but be moved by the struggle these men face in the 1970s as gay men attempting to make a better life for a young man with down syndrome.
April 7, 2014
Alan Cumming's gives a stand out performance in this heart rending true tale of love, home, family and the struggle for the right to live as any other family or person.
March 10, 2014
I didn't know it was a true story but I had that feeling throughout the whole movie. It was both sad and inspiring. The characters were so brave for the era; 70's, must be so hard being different then, not that it's a piece of cake now. The ending was devastating.
March 3, 2014
Phenomenal movie, incredible acting performances and a true story that is more powerful than fiction could ever be. Alan Cummings is amazing and Isaac Leyva will steal your heart. This one is well worth seeing!
February 10, 2014
I was lucky enough to see this film while I was on holiday in Arizona and attended some screenings at The Sedona Film Festival. I didn't know anything about the film but have always been a fan of Cumming so chose this as one of the films to see. I wasn't disappointed, in fact I think it's fair to say this film completely blew me away and I left the cinema a bit of an emotional wreck! Some of the plot points at times may feel a bit rushed or contrived but if you just go with it you can enjoy a really beautiful, moving human drama. That's exactly what I chose to do and moved I was! The performances from all the cast are top notch, but Alan Cumming really is outstanding. I've never seen him better. It's really nicely shot and scored. The costumes and hair (!)are bang on period and the film flows seamlessly from beginning to the shocking end, which I had not anticipated and left me reeling! Would I recommend this film, in a word YES!
January 31, 2014
Chicago International Film Festival 2012 - Audience Choice Award for Best Narrative Feature
Seattle International Film Festival 2012 - Best Actor Award, Alan Cumming
Provincetown International Film Festival 2012 - Audience Award
Woodstock Film Festival 2012 - Audience Award
GLAAD Media Award 2012 - Best Film in Limited Release
½ January 25, 2014
Very good film that while excellently acted is very sad and shows how bad attitudes were in the 70s.
January 18, 2014
I am so glad I found this movie and watched it. This was not what I was expecting.
½ January 12, 2014
This movie was so beautiful and very heartbreaking. Not many movies can move me to tears. I just think this movie proves is that anyone can a parent a child, as long as they give the attention, support, and love the child needs, it doesn't matter who they are.