Any Day Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Any Day Now Reviews

January 10, 2014
was a very good movie!
January 3, 2014
Heartbreaking, shocking and touching.
December 22, 2013
???????? ???????????????? ?????? ??? ???? ???????????????????
????????????????????????? ????????????? ?????????????????
??????????????????????? ??????
???????????? ???????? ??????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
????????????????? ????????????? ???????????? ??????????????...
December 16, 2013
Uma paixão a 1a vista une uma drag queen a um advogado divorciado. O carinho e solidariedade inspiram a adoção de um menino com síndrome de down abandonado pela mãe viciada em drogas. Uma batalha nos tribunais para construir uma família incomum enfrentando o preconceito com muito carinho e determinação. Um ator (Alan Cumming) numa atuação memorável !!! Um filme excelente !!!
½ December 2, 2013
Cumming is AMAZING. and this sad story will touch you.
November 1, 2013
Such a good movie. Left me with a real lump in my throat. How did Alan Cumming not win an oscar for this.
October 25, 2013
a wonderful and heartbreaking story.
½ October 20, 2013
An Amazing film and one of the best this year. Bot Cummings and Dillahunt were excellant. Dillahunt could get an oscar nomination - he deserves it.
Gives you something to really think about and is so relevant to day when you thinkof Baby P and all the other tragic cases that happen
½ October 17, 2013
A movie gorgeously blinds melancholy with optimism. Without any clue of how it will end, you "experience" along with the characters, fluctuate along with the plot.
Downplay any empathy or life pain is what provides the film with aftertaste and plumps the overall film.
October 4, 2013
Extraordinary and touching movie. Seems like we still have ways to go to curb bigotry.
Fantastic actors. Great story.
October 4, 2013
Alan Cummings trying to be a gutsy Sally Fields didn´t work for me. Story of a gay couple who foster a downs boy in the 1970s. It is about their fight to adopt the boy after he has been taken off them.
½ September 22, 2013
Good movie. Not amazing. Still really sad.
I agree with my friend, Michael, about Alan Cumming at times. Several scenes, he is just that "gay" guy you want to smack to shut up, and his accent was a bit distracting at times. But needless to say, we have all encountered some people like him in this!
Overall fairly well-done and worth watching as it still much better than the majority of gay-themed films that get made.
½ September 21, 2013
Tackling the ongoing "issue" of gay adoption (and, by virtue of association, LGBT rights in general) is a difficult feat for any director to achieve in an artistically credible way. An emotionally charged topic by definition, Travis Fine's latest picture could easily have descended into a preachy political lesson or some morality sermon. Thankfully Any Day Now manages to compassionately woo its audience while also avoiding any sort of cloying sentimentality.

Alan Cumming plays the enjoyably audacious Rudy Donatello, an aspiring singer by day and drag queen by night with a New Yawk drawl so thick you'd lose a shoe in it. It's the 1970's, so poor Rudy is forced to put up with his awful drug-snorting and T.Rex-blaring neighbour (Jamie Anne Allman). One day he discovers her intellectually disabled son Marco (Isaac Leyva) frightened and alone; we learn that his mother has been thrown in jail, so Rudy and his recently-acquired lawyer boyfriend Paul (Garret Dillahunt) undertake to raise Marco as one of their own. Amidst a culture of internalised fear and loathing of homosexuality, can a same-sex couple hope to raise a disabled kid in peace?

Irrespective of one's viewpoint on the idea of gay adoption (for which none should exist; it's a non-issue), Any Day Now exudes so much charm and such wonderful acting that to fault it on a technical or performance level would betray all reason and logic. Ridiculous wig or not, we've never seen better out of Alan Cumming as the punchy drag performer who, as this movie showcases, has a truly remarkable singing voice. This is likewise a career-best for Dillahunt, while newcomer Levya steals the show and, in doing so, breaks some exciting new ground in championing screen presence of actors with Down's syndrome.

But the movie's focus on the child, Marco, is what makes Any Day Now such a profoundly moving and potent experience. The singularly nefarious antagonists (right-wing lawyers, conservative judges, horrible bosses etc.) aside, the film repeatedly chants the mantra of "this is about the child"; Rudy and Paul's (believably) idyllic household boasts an immeasurably higher quality of life for Marco than anything his empathy-devoid mother could possibly provide, especially while behind bars. Fine could easily have centred events around the two adult leads, but in advocating the kid's welfare as top priority he utterly eradicates any and all remnants of a debate.

Regardless of whether custody rights are granted or not, the ending could only ever have been a tear-jerker. But the route taken is so harrowing, so heartbreaking that leaving the cinema with a pair of completely dry eyes is a virtual impossibility. Bring tissues, but make no mistake; this is a stunningly beautiful movie with a powerful message that's unfortunately as relevant today as it was four decades ago.
½ September 16, 2013
What a horribly sad story. Cumming and Dillahunt were amazing in this movie and really made your heartbreak by the time the movie ended.
September 14, 2013
People are just treated so unfair to those who don't fall into that cookie cutter mold.
½ September 13, 2013
A good film, with uniformly good performances, but one has to question how much of the film's emotional success fundamentally comes down to manipulating our fundamental compassion for those unable to take care of themselves, and our outrage at the miscarriages of justice that are routine in our world. The story itself, and it's execution, are ok, but there is nothing extraordinary here. I suppose that is the point - this is the part of the Gay Movement which was prevalent in the 50s and 60s, "Look! We're not just gay, we're middle class too!"
The characterisation is very thin, also.
September 11, 2013
Despite a raft of lukewarm reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed this little charmer of a film which is, I am led to believe, "inspired by a true story".

Two Californian guys in the late 1970s take it upon themselves to look after a young teenager with Down syndrome (Marco) after he is taken into care when his mother is imprisoned.

For the first time in his life, the boy is looked after, doted on and cared for.

However, the legal system at the time was highly discriminatory towards gay people, particularly with regards to fostering, and despite blunt protestations ("who else wants to look after a short, fat, handicapped child?"), Marco is removed from their care, put in a home and later returned to his dysfunctional, drug-addicted mother - against his wishes.

Bar the last quarter of an hour, which suffers from Court Room Drama-itis, and a few diva-esque moments from Alan Cumming, an unexpectedly charming, honest, affectionate and moving film.

The ending, though, should come with a health warning: a complete bolt from the blue.

4/5.
½ September 10, 2013
Saw this due to seeing the trailer and very glad i did. Sadly, due to the subject matter this extremely well acted if oddly paced at times true story of a gay couple in the 1970s trying to adopt a child with Down's syndrome will be over looked by most. Cummings and Dillahunt hold nothing back and are totally believable with Cummings who is often underrated in his performances giving perhaps the best performance of his career. This film won't be for everyone, which is a shame as this one of the best tear jerkers of the year
September 8, 2013
Fabulous. Please go and see this. Tissues required if you're at all emotional. Gripping, honest, great direction and cinematography. Cumming gives the performance of his career thus far.