Ao lua ha dong (The White Silk Dress) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ao lua ha dong (The White Silk Dress) Reviews

September 12, 2014
The best Vietnamese movie I've ever seen!
½ November 3, 2012
One of the most uplifting movies ever made by any director. This is not just another war story from Vietnam, not a tale of a mysterious white silk dress, not a depiction of an impoverished Vietnamese family. No, it is a wonderful ode to all Vietnamese women, their resilience, determination, sagacity, and beauty. The story is brilliantly told, shot, and does have a few surprising turns to keep you in your seat for its two hours and twenty minutes length.
½ March 20, 2012
That sad ending, i didn't like it ,, even that this is the life
January 26, 2012
Only watch this if you're in the mood for a slow-burning, depressing foreign film. An impoverished Vietnamese family migrates south in ~1950ish and settles on a flood prone due to a pregnancy. I've been told this film accurately depicts Vietnamese culture.
½ February 19, 2010
Marvellous, great story and great movie!
June 10, 2009
I'm watching it as I write this, don't like it =/
½ May 20, 2009
how white the passion in the middle of gloomy faith.
March 30, 2009
First Vietnamese movie I've ever watched.
January 23, 2009
it is just a beautiful film, you would only truly appreciate it if you'd seen how poor life can be in rural Vietnam
December 22, 2008
December 2, 2008
The White Silk Dress is a beautiful and tragic film. It is pretty much depressing throughout the whole thing, and everyone suffers a lot. It takes place in Vietnam with two servants who are in love who lead very oppressed lives and have cruel masters who are allied with the French. Then the Communist revolutionaries come around and kill the rich people; so the lovers are finally free to be together‚?¶ They go to the south to start a new life and escape the poverty they've always known. But they stay poor, and raise a family entirely of daughters. The couple works hard and still can't seem to earn enough, but just enough to survive. Then there are all the major floods and natural disasters that just add more to their suffering. Things seem okay despite their poverty, until the girls reach the age in which they must wear white silk dresses to go to school, and the family doesn't have enough to buy silk. It gets even worse from then, if that's possible. There's the war between the U.S. and the Vietnamese Communist government, with violent interrogations and bombings. Tragedies abound, and it is just really depressing because everyone in the family loves each other so much, and they all lead such sad, sad, lives.
½ September 22, 2008
Pretty high production values for a Vietnamese movie, so it has quite a glossy feel to it, and I like the way the colour palette changes from saturated colours into almost black and white. The story itself is engaging enough, it's the execution of it that fails rather miserably. A story like this would have faired better without the melodramatic imagery and soundtrack.
July 12, 2008
It is about a silk dress that was wore through generations of war and pain.
½ February 22, 2008
That sad ending, i didn't like it ,, even that this is the life
January 13, 2008
This is a nice movie talk about the graceful of Vietnamese traditional custom of lady. Beside that it talk about war, the power of lady and more than that
½ January 10, 2008
Maybe it was because I saw it with my parents, who had lived though something similar to the movie so had a more sinister view, but some of that cynicism rubbed off on me, so I didn't enjoy it as much. I'm kind of amazed at this point that the government allowed such a movie to be made, but was extremely annoyed by how biased most of the movie was. However I must make consessions, cause this is the best Vietnamese movie I've seen thus far, and gives me another reference to what it must have been like during the misk of the Vietnam war on top of all the stories that my parents and grandparents have told me. A good learning movie for anyone from my generation and younger to see, especially if you're Vietnamese like I am.
January 6, 2008
Howlingly awful Vietnamese melodrama. Contains the line, "If I was a man, and my wife was breast-feeding an old man, I probably would hit her too."
December 1, 2007
It was a great film. It was very emotional and heart-warming. I love the Charlie Chaplin part and I love how the movie use the palm tree. Watch the tree and see what I mean!!!
November 27, 2007