Apocalypse Now Redux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Redux Reviews

½ October 4, 2015
Hvis nogen kan fortælle mig, hvad den film går ud på, bliver jeg meget glad. En ydre og indre rejse, javel, men behøvede den tage tre og en kvart time? Efter min bedste mening et mønstereksempel på kejserens nye klæder. Men nu ved jeg da i det mindste, hvor Lars von Trier har en del af inspirationen til sine "kunstfilm" fra.
September 14, 2015
A lesson in adding by subtracting, the new scenes explain small details that made the cut but aren't necessary for the film and ultimately drag it out more than anything. The original is better, but Redux is worth seeing if you know the Apocalypse Now already.
September 12, 2015
For those who haven't seen Apocalypse Now, it is certainly worth the investment of time. Aesthetically it's a beautiful film. Though customarily I tend to gravitate toward the ubiquitous "director's cut", in my opinion, this vainglorious version of the film would probably have been better left on the cutting room floor. The one hour of added footage -to an already excessively lengthy film- seemed redundant and added little to enhance the film's experience.
It has been over ten years since I've seen Coppola's original and remember very few details yet when viewing this rendition I was able to spot each and every added scene due to the timing or sequential plodding. Each scene contributed in it's own drab way and had me drifting off uninterested. As much as I loved Robert Duvall's brief stint, the Colonel's loudspeaker search seemed brazenly comical. The Playboy bunny sequence seemed strange and forced. The lavish French plantation scene was simply out of place like a pointless dream within a nightmare that trudged along without a purpose. Marlon Brando's scene with the newspaper articles felt improvised and strained.
I'm sure there were small enhancements here and there but of the added scenes I don't know if there's anything here that would warrant the extra hour of time unless out of curiosity after having viewed the original.
½ September 10, 2015
Sprawling epic of a modern, if surreal, war story. But did it mean anything?
July 14, 2015
The best war movie ever done.
July 12, 2015
Epic for a whole different reason that I thought it would be, They just don't make em like this anymore.
½ June 21, 2015
It sort of masters the feeling of being taken on a trip to a dark sanctified place deep in the heart of something. In "The Heart of Darkness" the narrator is on a schooner heading into the heart of the Congo, here the captain is heading into what I presume to be the heart of Vietnam, Cambodia. I can only imagine the idea behind structuring the story to parallel Conrad's novel was to possibly stress the idea that America had imperialistic reasons for being in Vietnam. Because, you see, in the novel, through the use of frame narrative, England is shown to be in Africa for totally selfish imperialistic reasons. This movie works on levels, and the top level is near sublime. So we have the obvious parallel to 'The Heart of Darkness' in the story. But then we get some sublime visuals too. For instance, the giant explosion by the beach- so that the Lt. can surf! I thought it was hilarious when Williams stole his surf board. You know how hard it is to find a good surf board? Surfing is what the Lt. thought about. Seems bizarre. It is moments like this that make the story feel intriguing. But in the Redux, there is a scene that doesn't quite reach the standard the others have set. The captain sells the playboy bunny manager two barrels of oil so that his men can have some alone time with the playboy bunnies. Although I thought the scene was funny and clever, especially in its subtle irony- the soldiers are dressing the playmates up in an effort to make them look like they do in their centerpieces as the playmates talk on and on about their feelings- the message is one that I don't think anyone really needs to hear, and I think there is much more better material that could have been developed, especially since the movie is about such an interesting idea. I just hate it when the script begins to wander away from its important themes. And like I think that the scene might have ruined the delicate balance between the real and the bizarre that this movie balances amazingly throughout. No soldier's would ever be given an hour to sleep with an extremely pretty nude model for the exchange of two barrels of oil. It is this sort of temporary fall into bad taste that the director of this movie ultimately fell from.
June 4, 2015
""Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life?" as the Photojournalist Dennis Hopper utter those words. From any other versions I've seen, this is definitely the best adaptation of the novel"Heart of Darkness". Personally, this is one of the best war drama film, the best Vietnam war film, the best Coppola film, and my number 1 film of all time IMO. I can't think of any other. It's like, the Mona Lisa of all films. It's a beautifully filmed movie with the most beautiful landscapes in the depth of the Philippine jungle. The slow paced camera shots are absolutely stunning. The first parts of this film is epic, the last parts are more epic. When I heard that helicopter sound in the background as that track "The End by The Doors" started to play, while Martin Sheen is dancing to it. I thought, wow, this film started very gracefully. Martin Sheen made a performance like no other. If you have seen that documentary film (Heart of Darkness), that tells about the making of this movie. It tells how Sheen struggles and was hospitalized for days while filming it. The camera shots in this film are absolutely fantastic, gorgeously well made shots. From the helicopter takes from above, to the river shots until they reach out Col. Kurtz's base in Cambodia. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. It was almost a very artsy film in terms of cinematography. I do love the performances especially for Sheen. This is his best performance yet. As for Brando, I thought he did quietly good in this film. I like how he utter those poetic words while dictating it. Duvall has a small part in this film, " I love the smell of napalm in the morning." he said. He is this strict but funny lieutenant like he is almost a real army by portraying his character. And when Dennis Hopper showed up, it brings up smiles to my face. I like his character. feels like he's always stoned or something. He is so funny by doing that. Great screenwriting, Coppola and John Milius did a very great job on the script. I love the dialogue on this film. Speaking of Redux, people have problems on it. I say it doesn't affect the movie at all. I thought it is still a part of the art. The whole French army thing and more nude scenes from the playboy bunnies. I thought it was okay, I don't mind it really. It doesn't matter as how this beautiful movie continues to play. In the end, what comes to my mind is it was dark, beautiful and fantastic. A brilliant film in the making. Credit also to Vittorio Storaro as the cinematographer on this film. And of course to the one and only Francis Ford Coppola. 5/5
June 3, 2015
Unbelievable and what a cast.
April 23, 2015
This is the definite version of "Apocalypse Now."
April 13, 2015
the concept is interesting, but this film is so slow and boring, I couldn't take it!
April 7, 2015
April 4, 2015
This film is in my top 10 favourite films of all time. In comparing it to the admittedly pretty good originally released version, the "french setter" sequence appears absolutely essential to the meaning of the film and I cannot understand why it was deleted from the original release.
½ March 24, 2015
Starts slow, has a slow middle, and ends with Marlon Brando being either too fat or too crazy to NOT be filmed in complete darkness. 4.5/5
March 14, 2015
Much better than the original. This lyrical and poignant masterpiece immerses you into the world of the Vietnam war (Avatar with a brain).
March 12, 2015
With 50 minutes of additional footage over the original its just too long. A few scenes screws with the pacing and takes away the intensity and lunacy of the original
March 1, 2015
Best War Movie Ever!
February 21, 2015
Charlie don't surf!

Damn right. But the rest of the film does. It seems to be a war film, then a total anti-war film, then totally absurd with Valkyrias and surfers, post-nuclear attack looking scenery, beautiful sunsets, frenchmen with their opium and rubber and a lot of scenes that seem like they are on LSD. Brilliant performances from Robert Duvall (he made me laugh out loud!), Marlon Brando (handsome even with his huge bold head!) and especially Martin Sheen (Did he ever do a bad film?), who looks a lot like his son later on, just more... serious and appealing in his jungle gear :)

What can I say. Borrowing from a judgment written by an italian judge, which just happened to borrow from this film: Horror. Horror....
½ January 30, 2015
As good, if not better or worse than the polarizing original. It adds new, and needed depth to Colonel Kurtz, which the first cut would've greatly benefited from. The other deleted scenes do nothing more than slow down and almost stall the entire movie. The long scene involving the French army was rightfully cut from the final film. Here, it doesn't do much, but reiterate the point of how hopeless the Vietnam war was. The long speech given by the captain painfully goes on and on, wagging the finger at our involvement in Vietnam. The movie itself served enough as an anti-Vietnam war statement, we really didn't need further reassurance. It doesn't tarnish the masterpiece, however. It's an extension that many Coppola buffs will really love to watch. The point of Redux is to experience the film all over again, and remembering the moments that hit home the first time.
½ January 30, 2015
Masterful direction, powerful cinematography, and effective performances set up Apocalypse Now Redux as a thought-provoking experience.

Even though the added length slows down the film, the depth of the source material is increased.

The ugly, dark, and evil that came with the Vietnam War and peoples attempts to rise above it and fail shows the futility and hopelessness of humanity relying on their own strength and not on Gods'.

The film may not show much light but cries out for the need of it in a world with so much darkness (whether it is apparent or hidden).