Apocalypse Now Redux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Apocalypse Now Redux Reviews

July 12, 2015
Epic for a whole different reason that I thought it would be, They just don't make em like this anymore.
June 26, 2015
This is the definite version of the greatest depiction of the insanity of the Vietnam War.
½ June 21, 2015
It sort of masters the feeling of being taken on a trip to a dark sanctified place deep in the heart of something. In "The Heart of Darkness" the narrator is on a schooner heading into the heart of the Congo, here the captain is heading into what I presume to be the heart of Vietnam, Cambodia. I can only imagine the idea behind structuring the story to parallel Conrad's novel was to possibly stress the idea that America had imperialistic reasons for being in Vietnam. Because, you see, in the novel, through the use of frame narrative, England is shown to be in Africa for totally selfish imperialistic reasons. This movie works on levels, and the top level is near sublime. So we have the obvious parallel to 'The Heart of Darkness' in the story. But then we get some sublime visuals too. For instance, the giant explosion by the beach- so that the Lt. can surf! I thought it was hilarious when Williams stole his surf board. You know how hard it is to find a good surf board? Surfing is what the Lt. thought about. Seems bizarre. It is moments like this that make the story feel intriguing. But in the Redux, there is a scene that doesn't quite reach the standard the others have set. The captain sells the playboy bunny manager two barrels of oil so that his men can have some alone time with the playboy bunnies. Although I thought the scene was funny and clever, especially in its subtle irony- the soldiers are dressing the playmates up in an effort to make them look like they do in their centerpieces as the playmates talk on and on about their feelings- the message is one that I don't think anyone really needs to hear, and I think there is much more better material that could have been developed, especially since the movie is about such an interesting idea. I just hate it when the script begins to wander away from its important themes. And like I think that the scene might have ruined the delicate balance between the real and the bizarre that this movie balances amazingly throughout. No soldier's would ever be given an hour to sleep with an extremely pretty nude model for the exchange of two barrels of oil. It is this sort of temporary fall into bad taste that the director of this movie ultimately fell from.
June 4, 2015
""Do you know that 'if' is the middle word in life?" as the Photojournalist Dennis Hopper utter those words. From any other versions I've seen, this is definitely the best adaptation of the novel"Heart of Darkness". Personally, this is one of the best war drama film, the best Vietnam war film, the best Coppola film, and my number 1 film of all time IMO. I can't think of any other. It's like, the Mona Lisa of all films. It's a beautifully filmed movie with the most beautiful landscapes in the depth of the Philippine jungle. The slow paced camera shots are absolutely stunning. The first parts of this film is epic, the last parts are more epic. When I heard that helicopter sound in the background as that track "The End by The Doors" started to play, while Martin Sheen is dancing to it. I thought, wow, this film started very gracefully. Martin Sheen made a performance like no other. If you have seen that documentary film (Heart of Darkness), that tells about the making of this movie. It tells how Sheen struggles and was hospitalized for days while filming it. The camera shots in this film are absolutely fantastic, gorgeously well made shots. From the helicopter takes from above, to the river shots until they reach out Col. Kurtz's base in Cambodia. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. It was almost a very artsy film in terms of cinematography. I do love the performances especially for Sheen. This is his best performance yet. As for Brando, I thought he did quietly good in this film. I like how he utter those poetic words while dictating it. Duvall has a small part in this film, " I love the smell of napalm in the morning." he said. He is this strict but funny lieutenant like he is almost a real army by portraying his character. And when Dennis Hopper showed up, it brings up smiles to my face. I like his character. feels like he's always stoned or something. He is so funny by doing that. Great screenwriting, Coppola and John Milius did a very great job on the script. I love the dialogue on this film. Speaking of Redux, people have problems on it. I say it doesn't affect the movie at all. I thought it is still a part of the art. The whole French army thing and more nude scenes from the playboy bunnies. I thought it was okay, I don't mind it really. It doesn't matter as how this beautiful movie continues to play. In the end, what comes to my mind is it was dark, beautiful and fantastic. A brilliant film in the making. Credit also to Vittorio Storaro as the cinematographer on this film. And of course to the one and only Francis Ford Coppola. 5/5
June 3, 2015
Unbelievable and what a cast.
April 23, 2015
This is the definite version of "Apocalypse Now."
April 13, 2015
the concept is interesting, but this film is so slow and boring, I couldn't take it!
April 7, 2015
April 4, 2015
This film is in my top 10 favourite films of all time. In comparing it to the admittedly pretty good originally released version, the "french setter" sequence appears absolutely essential to the meaning of the film and I cannot understand why it was deleted from the original release.
½ March 24, 2015
Starts slow, has a slow middle, and ends with Marlon Brando being either too fat or too crazy to NOT be filmed in complete darkness. 4.5/5
March 14, 2015
Much better than the original. This lyrical and poignant masterpiece immerses you into the world of the Vietnam war (Avatar with a brain).
March 12, 2015
With 50 minutes of additional footage over the original its just too long. A few scenes screws with the pacing and takes away the intensity and lunacy of the original
March 1, 2015
Best War Movie Ever!
February 21, 2015
Charlie don't surf!

Damn right. But the rest of the film does. It seems to be a war film, then a total anti-war film, then totally absurd with Valkyrias and surfers, post-nuclear attack looking scenery, beautiful sunsets, frenchmen with their opium and rubber and a lot of scenes that seem like they are on LSD. Brilliant performances from Robert Duvall (he made me laugh out loud!), Marlon Brando (handsome even with his huge bold head!) and especially Martin Sheen (Did he ever do a bad film?), who looks a lot like his son later on, just more... serious and appealing in his jungle gear :)

What can I say. Borrowing from a judgment written by an italian judge, which just happened to borrow from this film: Horror. Horror....
½ January 30, 2015
As good, if not better or worse than the polarizing original. It adds new, and needed depth to Colonel Kurtz, which the first cut would've greatly benefited from. The other deleted scenes do nothing more than slow down and almost stall the entire movie. The long scene involving the French army was rightfully cut from the final film. Here, it doesn't do much, but reiterate the point of how hopeless the Vietnam war was. The long speech given by the captain painfully goes on and on, wagging the finger at our involvement in Vietnam. The movie itself served enough as an anti-Vietnam war statement, we really didn't need further reassurance. It doesn't tarnish the masterpiece, however. It's an extension that many Coppola buffs will really love to watch. The point of Redux is to experience the film all over again, and remembering the moments that hit home the first time.
½ January 30, 2015
Masterful direction, powerful cinematography, and effective performances set up Apocalypse Now Redux as a thought-provoking experience.

Even though the added length slows down the film, the depth of the source material is increased.

The ugly, dark, and evil that came with the Vietnam War and peoples attempts to rise above it and fail shows the futility and hopelessness of humanity relying on their own strength and not on Gods'.

The film may not show much light but cries out for the need of it in a world with so much darkness (whether it is apparent or hidden).
January 29, 2015
Where to start when you have to talk about such an iconic and timeless piece of film making that remain a masterpiece no matter what? So much has been printed and talked about this great motion-picture, I don't think it's necessary to add on.
I guess by now the film has become a bit of a reference and everyone who pretend to have some culture or taste for the War film Genre should watch it. Sheen & Duvall are incredible, Brando & Hopper give their best and bring this sort of "out There" touch. This film is mad & incredibly beautiful. It's a delight for amateurs.
½ January 25, 2015
An extended version of 1979's 'Apocalypse Now' (unseen by me) containing a staggering forty-nine minutes of additional footage, but bigger doesn't always mean better. This is evident in the unnecessary French rubber plantation sequence which slows the pacing of the film and should have remained on the cutting room floor, lacking the subtlety of the surrounding material to deliver its political and social commentary. Having said that - what a commentary 'Apocalypse Now Redux' makes! Filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola conveys the absurdity of war and the loss of innocence for those who participate in it. A solid Martin Sheen is the central figure here and his beautifully written narration throughout the piece gives the audience much insight into not only into his Captain Benjamin L. Willard but also the purpose of his dangerous mission, Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, played by a compelling Marlon Brando whose best scene depicts him reading from a 'Time' magazine article. There's an assortment of colourful characters here and there's an undeniable commitment from the cast to not only bring them to life, but also give them distinct personalities. Robert Duvall's surf-obsessed Lieutenant Colonel William Kilgore is quite the oddball and a young Laurence Fishburne (credited as Larry Fishburne) is in fine form as "Clean" Miller. The most engaging of the group are Frederic Forrest as "Chef" Hicks and Sam Buttons former professional surfer Lance B. Johnson; stunning performances from this pair show the evolutionary toll that war has on individuals in every sense of the word - emotionally and psychologically. Really, the entire team is flawless, but if there is one masterstroke it is in the casting of Dennis Hopper as the American photojournalist. Hopper delivers a performance that is truly his own; a work of genius that needs to be examined and celebrated. And it is through the interactions of Hopper, Sheen and Brando that the third act of the film that truly pops and sizzles. Beautifully photographed by Vittorio Storaro, 'Apocalypse Now Redux' is an almost-always compelling piece of cinema, just shy of perfection, that showcases amazing talent both in front of and behind the camera. It's a remarkable war film and one worthy of its praise.
January 12, 2015
This movie is a trip, a long and crazy trip up a river through the horrors and the absurdity of war.
December 30, 2014
Best Vietnam film and one of the best films ever