Meet the Applegates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Meet the Applegates Reviews

August 16, 2015
Really dark, weird and funny black comedy that's nigh on impossible to get on any format now, it remains a brilliant, twisted little cult gem and an acidic satire on white, middle class, suburban america with some incredible make up and practical effects that are utterly gross and especially impressive seen today. If you can get hold of it ( and i recommend you do) it's well worth a watch.
½ March 15, 2015
As one might say when encountering an undisguised Applegate...what the hell is this thing supposed to be?
July 24, 2014
a very interesting black comedy with a great cast
March 27, 2014
Started off cute, but the end was lame.
October 20, 2013
Wacky comedy about some giant bugs from the Amazon who morph into humans in order to take down human society because of the pollution. Sounds like a tailor-made script for Ed Begley, Jr., huh? Well thats who stars in it! The family ends up succumbing to all the vices around them (sex, shopping, drugs, etc) which ensures a round a laughs.
August 3, 2013
The oddest and brutally honest social commentary on the impact culture has on family-life. It goes to extremes never imagined and executes every moment with a huge smile. It's lovably strange and escalates in ways never expected.
½ June 7, 2012
Movies always get low scores for failing to have a pretentious message. Am I the only one who doesn't need to subtext to be entertained?
½ May 25, 2012
i love this movie !!
April 10, 2012
an intersting but cheezy comedy...
February 4, 2012
Awesome but hard to find
½ October 8, 2011
MEET THE APPLEGATES (1991)
July 31, 2011
A pretty stupid film with messages about the environment and Americans. It can't be taken seriously amongst the ridiculousness of this film though.
December 30, 2010
Something of a cult classic, this goofy alien comedy in the vein of Coneheads is silly enough to work, and it does. Good fun.
September 15, 2010
This movie is hilarious! I had never heard about it, until a few weeks ago, whem my friend mentioned it. The plot line sounded stupid, but my friend went on and on about how good it was. I trust her judgement in movies, so I started watching it. From within the first 3 min. I was hooked. The words "See Dick run" was my first taste of what was to come. Almost in a vince vough kind of style and humor, this movie was true to nature of people. A lot of unexpected swearing and sexual suggestion, and almost with an erie insight to what is normal today. The cast was awesome, (though I am not a fan of Ed Begley Jr.) I love Stockard Channing, and any movie that has Dabney Coleman in a dress, is probably worth seeing. In the end I loved the movie. I'd watch it again, and strongly reccomend it!! Not without it's faults, It looks very low buget, and effects are very poor. Some of the editing looked unfinished, but that just might be me. It was also jumpy and didn't explane, what was happening very well. If you can get past the crappy making of the movie, the storyline is good (but far fetched lol), the characters are likeable and relateable and like I said it has that uncanny feel, that could make it a movie released within recent years.

Excelent Excelent movie!
Go Meet the Applegates :)
July 25, 2010
MTV slapstick fantasy for teenagers.
March 29, 2010
It was cute, in a campy manner
December 13, 2009
Why is this not shown or available for purchase?
½ November 30, 2009
Somewhere in there is a good movie trying to get out.
October 13, 2009
It's been so long since I watched this and when we stumbled across it on pay tv on Sunday nite, i remembered why i loved it the first (and second, and third) time!!! What a brilliant satire on the American dream. If you've never seen it, grab it on weekly hire and enjoy!!
½ October 6, 2009
This movie needs a DVD release... it's a bit dated but really cute and Ed Begley Jr. is great.