Appleseed: Ex Machina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Appleseed: Ex Machina Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
It's got an interesting story, some cool production designs and great action sequences courtesy of John Woo.
May 18, 2016
This is the sequel to the 2004 'Appleseed' movie which was itself a slightly rejigged version of the original 1988 animated version. One major difference with this CGI animated sequel is the producer being action maestro John Woo, where as the director is once again Shinji Aramaki, from the 2004 movie.

This story takes place two years after the incidents revolving around the bioroids in the city of Olympus. Deunan and Briareos rescue some officials from cyborg terrorists but in the process Briareos is injured. Whilst Briareos is out of action, Deunan is introduced to her new partner, Tereus, a bioroid that looks and sounds exactly like her old lover Briareos in his human form. Turns out that this is a new prototype bioroid soldier with no negative emotions to hinder its fighting ability. Briareos' DNA was chosen because of his mental and physical strength. Naturally this leaves Deunan confused and frustrated with the whole situation. This is more of a subplot really, character building.

The real meat of the plot involves the increase of terrorist attacks that have been committed by cyborgs, made by a certain company, Poseidon. The terrorist attacks have been getting more confusing and frequent as both cyborgs and non-cybernetic humans have been attacking in a zombie-like fashion. It is also noted early on by Deunan that many people seem to be wearing electronic head wear called Connexus, a visor type gadget that projects holographic information in front of the users eyes. Anyway, basically a section of the company Poseidon (Halcon) was once a leading scientific laboratory until they started playing in the field of mind control. Poseidon shut them down after the apparent death of a young woman called Elizabeth Xander, the project head. Back in the present, world leaders introduce a global security network by merging all satellites around the Earth to create one large net, thus trying to eliminate potential terrorist attacks before they happen. Are these zombie-like attacks by cyborgs and Connexus wearing humans connected to Halcon and their mind control antics? Is the global satellite network somehow being abused by Halcon to control masses of people and cyborgs? And who exactly is controlling all this, and why?

So its pretty clear even to me that the franchise has taken a decidedly easy western focused route this time. The previous movie was an in depth look at human nature, ethics and all kinds of very real moral dilemmas. This sequel is clearly more of an outright sci-fi thriller with a rather bog standard plot about an evil company controlling peoples minds for nefarious purposes. In other words its almost like another yarn from the [i]Resident Evil[/i] franchise, it could quite easily be this what with the zombie-esque notion and creepy mysterious company that offers no information about its past. To matters even worse (yes worse), they have brought in John Woo! the action genre whore. Oh boy can you instantly tell its Woo-influenced, sheesh! Literally the first action sequence we see at the start contains doves flying around in slow motion, and both Deunan and Braireos dual wielding guns, leaping about the place (in slow motion of course) with bullets raining down like confetti. I will fully admit it looks cool at times of course, Braireos launching himself into the air and taking out terrorists with two guns blazing, only to land perfectly and reload his weapons in an ultra cool manner, is indeed saucy stuff...but really?

That aside there isn't too much Woo-ness on show thank God, it seems they let him get it out of his system early on, and then told him to get on with the rest of the show sensibly. That being said, its all so very westernised here, all the characters are beautiful and muscular, including Braireos, despite being a cyborg (look at his robot biceps!). There are some cheesy fight training sequences in a dojo showing off lots of slow motion martial arts and yet more big muscles. ESWAT team members seem to be rather stereotypical characters that we've all encountered before, dare I say 'Aliens' influenced? Manuel Aeacus is a good example of such a character, unsure if he's from the original material or made for this movie alone. The way in which the mind control effects people visually looks like some kind of alien infection or slow growing mutation in the face. The hidden fortress of Halcon is pretty ridiculous in the fact that its a floating fortress...and made up entirely of cubes varying in size? (very Matrix-esque action). And lastly (spoiler alert!), the final showdown against the robotic, tentacle, zombie hybrid is quite literally an out and out [i]Resident Evil[/i] type scenario, it virtually all is, its pretty obvious really.

Again the visuals appear to be a combination of cel shaded CG anime which are much smoother than the 2004 movie, but less realistic in my view. The CG anime in the 2004 movie looked more hand drawn with cel shaded CGI over the top, it looked a bit rough but it looked like anime/manga. This movie is much neater, smoother and slicker looking that's for sure, but at the same time it loses that anime/manga vibe if you ask me, it looks too smooth and glossy, almost too perfect really. In essence, for the most part, this movie kinda looked like an in-game sequence for a videogame, yeah I know that's a common saying for things like this but its very true here. The fighting sequences with Braireos looked like sequences from a [i]Tekken[/i] game, especially in the dojo against Tereus. Most other scenes in the film could easily be any futuristic action shooter for the latest console, it all looked very meh to me, the original art source, slightly drained away. Don't get me wrong, had this been any other sci-fi animation I'd be saying the opposite as its not terrible looking, but when compared to the 2004 movie and the original source material, it just doesn't look right, to me at least.

I dunno, in the end I just felt this was too much of a cookie cutter western thriller, devoid of any real innovation that you would come to expect from a Japanese futuristic fantasy epic. Clearly its gone for a much wider, broader appeal which I'm sure many will prefer, but I'm also sure many fanboys will not. After the amazing plot we got in the 2004 movie I really expected a continuation in the same vein, another deep, methodical story with layers, sensible and, if I can say it...grown-up. Instead we get a silly zombie-esque,Matrix-like videogame thriller which just feels more like a spin-off than a full sequel. Yes it looks lush, admittedly they have bolstered the characters, mainly Braireos, and overall the imagination on show is impressive (if a little too common to other big sci-fi franchises). I'm not a fanboy who knows every little detail about this franchise, but even I was left wanting more here, even I could see how the fanbase might not like this particular path. But despite all that its still solid enough if you're into the genre as a whole.
December 30, 2015
awesome. I hope they don't stop. Each film is great. I wish other animated media took this much care and focus.
May 3, 2015
Fantastic film. A little corny jokes here and there.
April 18, 2015
pretty like the the first one but the John Woo stamp is all over it
½ September 19, 2014
One of my favourite 3d anima's
February 26, 2014
Very entertaining from start to finish. Never saw the first 2 but i understood everything that was going on. My favorite anime to date, I cant stand some anime where the characters dont actually look like real people. I loved the futuristic storyline!
½ July 19, 2013
Bon film d'action/animation japonais. L'animation est très réussie.
½ April 4, 2013
Great computer animation meshed with Japanime manga storytelling, which always trumps the American efforts that cater to kids with talking animals and the other banal elements that Pixar and Dreamworks shove down audiences throats over and over again.
½ March 3, 2013
buena continuación de la primer peli... impresionante gráficos
½ January 26, 2013
One of the greatest Japanese animations! I had an excellent time! See it!
January 24, 2013
Not as thrilling as the first one, it gets old very fast.
½ December 28, 2012
John Woo did this??? And it shows. Plenty of his type of tropes seemed to make it into the film even though he was only producing it. LOL
The film is an alright story. Nothing truly original but there is plenty of action and Matrix like visuals that it should please most fans. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the 3d meets 2d computer graphic animation style. When it came to buildings and large vistas, it was breathtaking. But in terms of the action and people moving around, things looked more like a version of the Sims video game than a true anime. Would have been much better in standard 2d anime style.
December 19, 2012
one of my favorite. movies
½ November 18, 2012
To begin with, I must admit for not seeing the original 2004 Appleseed anime which no doubt affects my judgement on this sequel film. In any case, the very first thing viewer to notice with this Scifi animation is the unique visual style which combines traditional 2D anime style with computer generated animations. Besides the striking visuals, deep down Appleseed: Ex Machina is action packed mecha animation.

From what I have read, the story of Appleseed: Ex Machina is in direct continuum with the first film; and is set in post apocalyptic Earth, where half of its inhabitants have been decimated in World War 3. The remaining population are divided into Humans, Cyborgs and Bioroids (Genetically engineered humans) which creates an interesting setting for a scifi film. More specifically the film is set in utopian city of Olympus and follows it's futuristic police force ES.W.A.T members as they save the city from cyber terrorist. The films power trio is formed by ES.S.W.A.T members Deunan, a strong warrior female living to fight, his cyborg lover Brialeos and Brialeos' clone Tereus. Granted the team is bit odd even for a anime, but it works alright for this action packed scifi flick. And the action side cannot be stressed enough as the film is literally non stop gunfight for much of the 1h 44min running time. Thus it came as no total surprise to find the renown Asian action director John Woo in the production team, his touch is unmistakeably seen with Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Visually Appleseed: Ex Machina is unquestionably impressive, but the visual style is so eye catching that it is bound to divide viewers. I found myself somewhat in between liking and disliking the CGI mixed with 2D anime style. It is very unique and in a way cool, but I do not think this is the way all animes will look like in the future. At least I hope they will not.

In the end, this film will definitely not bore you thanks the constant action, but deep down the story is quite simple and the characters are quite superficial thanks to the sterile CGI visuals. I enjoyed the Scifi aspects of the film, but the characters and story ultimately failed to impress, making Appleseed: Ex Machina only an average film anime in my books.
November 4, 2012
I really liked the computer generated "3D" anime style of the movie. I saw it in HD and though it was stunning. Story was typical anime story between a hot girl and a cyborg ;)
September 20, 2012
This is a good sequel to the huge succsess of the first film. In this one we have Deunan Newt and her lover Briareos continue to work for E-Swat and protect the human utopia of Olympus. In this one there seems to be terrorist activity affecting anyone who uses electronics or people who are cyborgs or have cybernetic parts in them. When these people start attacking other humans it becomes a huge issue. Things take a huge turn for the worst when Briareos gets infected by whatever is causing this. It will be up to Deunan Newt and Briareos to help stop this calamity before it destroys the entire world. Good action, good plot even though not as engaging as the first to me, and with a new CGI realistic animation style, this is a sequel worth seeing if you've seen the first movie. 9 out of 10.
August 18, 2012
Alright, the animation was way better and the story was even better than the first. What topped it off was it was produced by John Woo
½ July 29, 2012
Chromy sexplosions of the 3D-CGI kind. A storyline you can see a long way off but a very stylish ride to get there.