Arang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arang Reviews

August 4, 2016
I had never heard about the legend of Arang before watching this film so didn't know the plot ahead of time. The film was an interesting mix of legend and detective story all blended together with Asian horror flair.
July 4, 2013
A rather ho-hum and derivative Korean horror thriller that unsuccessfully attempts to blend police procedural together with Asian ghost-story stereotypes. The result is tedious at best....
½ April 8, 2013
I saw this movie again today it is on one of my top ten Asian horror lists. I think that if you like Asian Horror like The Ring or Ju-on this is for you. It starts out with the scares right away but often like much of Asian Horror draws out its horror scenes with the ghost. But I think it manages to work as the ghost is quite frightening to look at. And the story is pretty good as it is involving two detective partners tracking down a murderer except later on they discover at the end it is a vengeful spirit doing the killing. There is also a big twist at the end which I think a lot of people will find pretty dam good although maybe slightly stretched.
½ July 4, 2012
Arang is a copycat, but it's different enough to be entertaining--A capable and stylish horror film!!
May 23, 2012
spooky, but nothing else
May 1, 2012
Had most of the typical Asian ghost story elements, but a few nice twists; well directed, good cast and soundtrack. More mystery than horror.
March 23, 2012
Really bad translation, couldn't get into it.
½ January 18, 2012
What if a horror/thriller/fan/film student had the chance to make his own film? Imagine the shower scene from Psycho with that spooky weird girl from The Grudge in there with you, got that? ... Arang is that film, with familiar elements from all those genres woven into the story of the investigation of an series of bizarre deaths mysteriously tied to a still older unsolved case. Count the twists, turns and loving tips of the hat to Hitchcock ...
December 30, 2011
I really liked the storyline to this film. There are many horror clichťs and the stylings of "Ringu" & "Ju-on" are throughout. It seems to be the mainstay to use the haunting long black hair in Asian Horror film. This also has echoes of "Shutter" to it as well but I really liked this film. The only part that I didn't care for was the very end. It was cheesy and really didn't seem to belong.
December 17, 2011
What a shape shifter this movie is. Arang opens as a ghost story, morphs into a police procedural, then takes brief turns as an emotive chick flick and an art-house film before a final finish as once again a ghost story. There seems to be a plot tying it all together, but damn if I could follow it.

A big part of the problem was the decision to cast notably attractive and distinctly young actors into every role (there's just one middle-aged actor in the entire cast) and to coif them all in the same hair styles. When every character is young, comely, has dark brown eyes and straight black hair, i.e., looks like every other character in the movie, it's hard for the undiscerning Western eye to follow who's who. And when you can't keep track of the characters, it's real hard to follow the plot.
February 2, 2011
Il film sarebbe a malapena sufficiente, ma mezzo punto va per la colonna sonora, da togliere il fiato.
December 13, 2010
What I learned from Arang: You are not safe from whatever is outside the window just because you close the mini-blinds...also do not peek through them if you hear noises. Sitting at a desk can be scary. And sometimes taking a shower can be scary too. As for my opinion on the film, I thought it was pretty good. It has a lot of ideas you may see in other movies, particularly Asian horror, but saying that Asian horror films rip off other Asian horror films is like saying American slasher films rip off other American slasher films-some of it is just a staple of their cinema that is widely accepted as "normal". Makes even more sense if you actually read the legend of Arang, so I would recommend doing this before watching the film.
November 8, 2010
It was good, but would of been better if the scary parts were done better though.
½ October 28, 2010
Fatally familiar. Runs through all the cliches started by Nakata's Ringu when by now we've stopped caring; only intriguing element is the ripoff from Silence of the Lambs: a police investigator with psychic baggage who has more reason to sympathize with the supernatural psycho killer than with the killer's victims.
July 26, 2010
What's with asians and ghost girls seeking revenge? That aside this one a is far above par.
½ July 22, 2010
Gelungener Genremix aus Asia-Grusel wie The Grudge und modernem Krimi wie CSI. Die Schockeffekte k√∂nnen √ľberzeugen und sind stellenweise recht eklig anzusehen. Die Story ist gut erz√§hlt und enth√§lt gegen Ende einen √ľberraschend kommenden Twist. Der Film ist durchweg spannend und bietet stellenweise eine wirklich dichte Atmosph√§re. Leider hat mir das Ende der Geschichte aber weniger gefallen, auch wenn es ziemlich bitter ist. Die letzte Szene wiederum war wirklich klasse. Netter Gruselspa√?, der den einen Euro voll wert war. 07/10
flixsterman
½ May 22, 2010
An inept ghost story that tries far too hard to be Ringu or Ju-on.
April 29, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

This is another good South Korean horror film.
March 8, 2010
With a bit of polish and some rewriting, this could have been a pretty decent detective story. However, they decided to muck it up with all this supernatural idiocy that just apes other Asian horror films and brings absolutely nothing to the story.