Aranyer Din Ratri (Days and Nights in the Forest) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Aranyer Din Ratri (Days and Nights in the Forest) Reviews

½ December 1, 2015
another winner from director Ray.
September 29, 2013
my most favourite ray muv
July 2, 2012
A cool, modern, Indian new-wave film.
½ March 25, 2011
Rating: 3.7/5. One of the least flawed films of Satyajit Ray. It had terrific performances by the whole cast. The cinematography is beautiful! I really loved the memory game sequence. The downfall being the ending for me. I loved it!
January 12, 2011
A REAL WORK OF ART . That is the only thing that I can say about this movie. Mesmerizing and down to earth to the very extreme. The middle class and the upper class has been defined in a intertwined manned but as distinctively as possible. 4 friends , 1 trip , lots of errors , a few lucky errors , a beautiful end .
December 31, 2010
'Aranyer din ratri' is a Bengali film by Satyajit Ray. This film is a masterpiece in many ways. Firstly, it is the earliest carnivalesque film- that subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant atmosphere through humor and chaos. Secondly, it is a revealing study of the Indian (especially Bengali) middle-class and youth. Thirdly, it is Ray's take on human sexuality in a light and humorous note.

Initially, it might seem like the escapades of four men who break free from their constrictive surroundings into the wilderness and meet three women. However, an afterthought will reveal different layers to it. The evident differences among these men and women do not prevent an extraordinary sexual chemistry from developing which is all the more vivid being understated and unspoken. The picnic scene where they play a literary game is a deep analysis of their character and sexuality. In this beautiful tale, Ray tells a story of love lost, confidence regained, inhibitions of a conservative society blown away, overwhelming sadness, and the joy and freedom of coming close to nature.

This film drills down to show the emotions of santhal men and women- feelings on an everyday basis, that has led to the problem of naxalism we face today. It shows the place where I belong to- the forests of Jharkhand (then Bihar). The people, the greenery, the culture, the dances, the women who never grow old, and the hard working men- its a heaven of its own kind! It is only my place, where you'll find men and women drinking mahua (local alcohol) together- just like they do in western countries! :)
December 6, 2010
This tale of four young men on a drunken vacation to "the forest" is deceptively simple, but in Satyajit Ray's masterful hands, the story becomes lyrical and complex. Our immature heroes meet two women who are deeper, more tempered by experience, and as a result find themselves transformed. Good thing too, because they started out boorish, careless, and demeaning to those from lower castes than themselves. Full of humid transcendent B&W cinematography.
½ August 3, 2010
Typical Ray...subtle, funny and very human at all times. The music was a bit of a let-down though - although not bad, Ray's composed far better than this.
½ December 21, 2009
From the word go, you can tell this is classic Ray. Classy and subtle in every way yet entertaining and universal. A bunch of middle-aged, middle-class men seek a break from their lives and decide to spend a week in the jungle. Each of them needs a break from something - from the rules and rigidity of working life or from the heartbreak of a failed love. But is it Ray's best.."one of Ray's most magnificent films" as one review called it? I'm not sure. At the end of the film, I felt like I was missing something. I was sure there was something more to the film but that I was just not able to see it. Perhaps that's the beauty of it. Or perhaps I'm just dense :)
December 15, 2009
Four young bourgeois men from Calcutta take a vacation in the country. Ray makes an interesting study of their clueless (and often boorish) behavior, and their interactions with the locals, and a pair of well-to-do young ladies. It's kind of like Antonioni, but with more heart. Perhaps a little too much heart... I feel that Ray lets these guys off the hook too easily. The film is technically superb, with apparent European influences. The weak point is the music, which Ray composed himself.
June 20, 2009
The maestro Satyajit Ray...will not say more...

Luvved Shekhar...he is hilarious !!
January 25, 2009
My first Satyajit Ray movie and still my favourite of the handful of his films I've seen. I'm going to struggle to write about this one, I can tell, because I don't think I can adequately explain why I find such an apparently simple movie so uniquely profound. In terms of plot, there's nothing to it; it's just about four well-to-do, westernised friends from Calcutta, who spend a few days in the country to help one of their number, a celebrated cricketer, get over being jilted by his girlfriend. Snotty and self-important to begin with, the men are improved over the course of the film, to greater and lesser degrees, by their surroundings and experiences.

The miraculous thing about Ray's direction is that, not only does he manage to turn the forest and countryside into an enchanted realm, where fundamental improvements of character seem entirely justified, even inevitable, he somehow manages to make the viewer feel changed for the better, too, by the experience of watching his film. It's one of those very rare movies that, for a short time at least, makes the real word feel like a more magical place after you've seen it. Sharmila Tagore is very memorable as the elegant, enigmatic and supremely intelligent object of one of the men's affection.
November 11, 2008
Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri which tells the strory of a few buddies taking a week off on a holiday proves to be a stimulating experience on the mind.The four characters and the people they meet along the way ends being a life learning journey for some and life lessons for some others.Ray directs an exquisite piece with simlpicity.
October 19, 2008
Absolutely hilarious...very artistic film! Satyajit Ray is a genius!!!
June 13, 2008
Another great film by Ray about a group of four middle class men from Calcutta who go on holiday and meet a group of women. A classic which hasn't dated at all.
littlecharmer1959
June 13, 2008
February 29, 2008
Potentially interesting, but I didn't empathise with the characters, so in the end I didn't really care about their exploits or fortunes.
January 5, 2008
While watching the movie, I realized I read the novel before. Somehow the novel sounded more exotic.
½ December 22, 2007
i like the simplicity of it , its how ray does things and i truly enjoy it