Arcade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arcade Reviews

½ July 21, 2015
So so bad! This film has one really good idea, but everything about it's execution fails. Peter Billingsly and Seth Green were particularly awful in this.
½ February 1, 2013
Alex and her friends are invited to test out a brand-new video game, Arcade, which promises that "Reality will never be the same." Unfortunately for them, it's true! Arcade sucks in its players in to the gaming world to compete in a battle of life or death against the sinister force that controls it! While the special effects are severely dated by today's standards, ARCADE creates an incredible virtual world that can easily compete with the level of design found in THE LAWNMOWER MAN or HACKERS from the same era. John de Lancie, Megan Ward, A.J. Langer, and Seth Green all populate the young cast from their pre-television days, working off of a script by BATMAN BEGINS' David Goyer. The third-rate performances and unconvincing plot do not take away from the overall enjoyment of the picture, although it does rely heavily on the audience's willingness to suspend disbelief. ARCADE amounts to nothing more than a light horror version of TRON that is safe enough for an after school special, but if you are a fan of THE LAWNMOWER MAN or the "Bishop of Battle" segment from 1983's NIGHTMARES, be sure to check this one out!

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
January 22, 2013
I've been wanting to see this for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssss!!!
½ September 22, 2012
I saw this one when I was very little
½ March 5, 2012
I like the concept of a machine trapping people inside it but the acting was poor and the script was wayyy too loose. The effects of the movie had way more potential for its time but hey, its a freaking full moon movie you can't expect much!
January 28, 2012
Sounds interesting enough. It has one of my favorite Soap Opera actors in, Bryan Dattilo, from Days Of Our Lives. As well as Seth Green, Megan Ward and AJ Langer, more great actors/actresses. Looks interesting so maybe i'll catch it one day.
September 12, 2010
In the early 90's, movies incorporating 3-D virtual reality video games into their plot was a fad that thankfully didn't last too long. The most popular was the big budget dud The Lawnmower Man but on a much smaller scale there were such films as Evolver and of course Full Moon's Arcade. All I have to say is if 3-D effects are going to be the main attraction of your film, you better make sure they are good!

The script written future heavy weight Hollywood writer David S. Goyer is very simple. It's about a new Virtual Reality game that's getting a test run at a small arcade. After trying it out, a handful of teens are given a portable take home version, however the game artificial intelligence grows and it ends up making some of the teens drool and then disappear. Two of our teens figure what's happening and decide to shut the game down at the source... by playing it.

The plot is insanely predicable and director Albert Pyun seems at odds directing a film that doesn't take place in a bleak future or include cyborgs. Overall the film felt very kiddish which is strange for Full Moon as they should have produced this under their family friendly sister company Moonbeam Entertainment. It just lacks in every department and it failed to deliver any of the cheesy Full Moon goodness I expect in their B-movie outings. No violence, no cool characters, no funny on-liners, and piss poor directing. To top it off the computer generated effects for the video game are insanely awful! I understand this came out in 1993 but these graphics even sucked back in those days.

It might just be me but it seems every movie about a virtual reality video game sucks and it still boggles my mind that Arcade is one of Full Moon's most popular films. It must be the nostalgia for viewers that saw the film as a kid because this is easily one of my least favorite's from the company out of their "classic" era of films. What's ironic is that I own 2, count 'em 2 copies of this turd on DVD. Why do I own 2? Well I got one in a box set entitled "Full Moon Classics Volume One" and another in a box set entitled "Full Moon Features: The Archive Collection." I can't sell one of them because that would ruin the box set... so there they sit, both of 'em, doomed to collect dust on my DVD shelf for the rest of my short life.
August 7, 2010
Full Moon steps up the game with this one. Though dated by today's standard, the computer graphics and green screen in the film were pretty good at the time.
Nice to see such a star studded cast before they were really stars. Megan Ward and A.J. Langer have done quite a bit of television work. We all know how amazing Seth Green has become. Q... I mean John DeLancie has a short but fun role in the film.
And we all know what David Goyer has gone on to write (Dark City, Blade series, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, etc. etc.)
Filled with references (and borrowing heavily upon) Dante's Inferno, the film touches on dealing with your past, living for the future and, of course, the desire and need for technology and just how evil it is. Wait, technology is evil? Crap. I guess I better stop writing this review.
½ May 2, 2010
A TRON rip-off. What a waste of an hour and twenty five minutes of my time.
February 8, 2010
John De Lancie debuts the ultimate VR experience you never wanted. Peter Billingsley (Ralphie from A Christmas Story) stars as our staunch and gutty hero.
ScoopOnline
December 14, 2009
The game wants to play with you. I think the makers of "Stay Alive" got inspired by this Movie just tiny bit different.
August 9, 2009
½ March 17, 2009
I don't like this movie much at all, I just can't remove it from my favourites. :(
March 14, 2009
½ February 14, 2009
So incredibly bad and cheesy it almost becomes a good movie.
½ December 25, 2008
Arcade is another Full Moon anomaly from the early 90's that features a bevy of god awful special effects mixed with that same old teens in peril song and dance. The lead AJ Langer (The People Under the Stairs) is a little unstable thanks to her mom committing suicide and her dad being utterly lifeless. With that, she escapes with friends to the local arcade where a new virtual reality game called.....um...Arcade is being introduced to test subjects. Naturally, there are some complications when the game gets a mind of its own and wants to take the souls of all the kids who play it. It's up to Langer and her friend Nick (Peter Billingsley...HEY KIDS, IT'S RALPHIE FROM A CHRISTMAS STORY) to stop this evil gamemaster from taking everyone's souls. First off, this movie is not very good at all, and effects are atrocious. Just watch it; you'll see what I mean. It's also incredibly boring, but oddly enough, I would much rather watch this over and over again than that even MORE dreadful "Stay Alive" killer game movie. Still, this movie ain't no Brainscan. Be on the look out for a young Seth Green, who plays one of the friends in peril, as well as Don Stark (That 70's Show) as the Arcade owner.
½ July 31, 2008
Really one of the worst ever.
July 25, 2008
Don't know why I liked this one, but I do so...ROCK ON!
July 9, 2008
john delance is terrific in this movie. i really like the story line and was surprised at the end of the movie.
July 7, 2008