Archie's Final Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Archie's Final Project Reviews

May 20, 2016
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

My Suicide, a film which I saw a special screening, contains a strong point of view and a distinctive sense of humor that shouldn't be ignored. It also introduces most of us to a new young actor, Gabriel Sunday, who also is attached on the project as co-writer/editor/producer. While it's David Lee Miller's first feature film, and one would want to credit him with the editing style (not at all unlike Natural Born Killers only with the assistance of Avid, or is it Final Cut?), but it's more than likely Sunday's baby. And as it is, it's loaded with the kind of self-deprecating, crazy humor that one would expect from someone who is 16 or 17 and doesn't know what to do with themselves despite being in comfortable middle-class existence with access to technology up the wazoo. It's about human connectivity through media, and or what a self-portrait for a teen means when someone else enters the equation- or the whole school, for that matter.

Basically, Archie wants to kill himself, or rather will only for the project in class which is to document something about one's life. For all of it calling back to Oliver Stone, it's still a refreshing way to get inside of this person's particular mind-set: it's like we're watching most times the actual movie Archie is meant to be presenting his audience, and then here and there the cracks of the third wall being broken and an actual movie going on about this making-of the movie. Some may find the opening ten minutes or so, which has less to do with direct plot than with setting up the tone and sense of humor, as aggressive, but it struck me as being just about right. That, and the very odd, nearly mystical and, sadly ironic, images of David Carradine as the "Death Poet" Vargas talking on camera about this and that like an old sage. He comes on later in the film- actually the more he's seen the less effective he really is- but it's mostly Archie's story, him and Sierra.

Oh yeah, that's another thing too- it's a dark (super duper dark, more like tragic-dark) comedy about two teens with a similar suicidal edge who get into a relationship, one the awkward outsider with a penchant for ripping apart those around him (i.e. the c*** scene with the doctor), the other, Sierra, a super-hot "perfect" teen who dates and lot and also cuts herself with a razor. It's about this subject of suicide, and it's also about these characters coming to terms with it, actually being *alive* as they're plotting their own ends, and what that means in turn when it suddenly projects onto other students around them. It's a good message and often funny, even as its rapid-machine-gun-fire editing technique and warped visual cues with good old green screen go into overload.

The big problem, for me, is a level of predictability that settles in. It doesn't go completely into after-school TV special territory, but it gets close; at least close enough for it to go into just being another teen drama, so to speak, with little spikes of humor in the last third (some, arguably, not totally appropriate, considering that it doesn't stick to its guns as a super-dark comedy till the end). But it's a problem that many in its desired demographic- whack-a-mole teens and their attentive parents- will be entertained and informed by. And, as well as announcing a new young star, it also features some unlikely movie references I enjoyed, such as from Goodfellas the "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!" screaming match between Henry and Karen.
½ February 5, 2016
something totally retarded
½ May 14, 2015
I liked this film, and I recommend this to everyone, people need to know more about suicide and the feelings that come with it. It may be a hard movie to watch, but people truly need to understand what Archie's every where go through. So for being a well done low budget film and for telling what sometimes we as teenagers go thru in life, I give "Archie's Final Project" a B-.
½ December 27, 2014
With too many words to describe this psychadelic project, AFP still manages to conclude its twisted idea to a satisfying level.
September 17, 2014
Interesting but kinda all over the place. Sometimes does things in bad taste. Kind of made me uncomfortable but perhaps that's what they were aiming for.
July 13, 2014
I actually really enjoyed this, it was unique and different and talked about a difficult subject that a lot of teens go through but in a different and artistic way. I really enjoyed it, it was quite visually stimulating. Great Job!
July 8, 2014
Amazing movie its a must see
½ November 4, 2013
interesting. first half was quite funny, then it got incredibly depressing. but i don't mind that.
October 6, 2013
This film rocks! The film does lose its balls near the end, but everything that came before that is envigorating and fresh. The editing used is superb, it's all done like a top notch multi-media project. The main character of Archie is absolutely perfect. He LOVES movies and constantly reenacts classic scenes from film. He is a mad genius when it comes to technical stuff, but he is also super ADHD, a little unhinged and a complete comedic genius.....he just happens to be a bit suicidal. He is portrayed by Gabriel Sunday, who really shines here and gets to show how versatile of an actor he is. This film may not be perfect, but it's close enough for me.
June 3, 2013
This is a strange film. Most of it feels like a youtube mash up montage and the other part feels like a cheesy teen movie. The subject matter is intense and some of the issues and comments the film explores ring true while at other times it is overwrought, predictable and cliché. This film is as much a film about teen suicide as it is about the portrayal of suicide in media and film. The film covers many issues and mostly deals with them well. The acting especially Gabriel Sunday, the lead is great and really intense. The supporting cast is less effective. Overall a thought provoking yet unfortunately in the end frustrating film.
April 5, 2013
A absolute disaster. From start to finish I couldn't get past how annoyingly it was filmed. The only reason I'm not giving it one star is because if filmed correctly there's actually a clever plot hidden in there.
April 2, 2013
Great movie with a positive ending message, even though the movie can be triggering for some.
December 14, 2012
I watched this an fell in love. This movie really touched me in a personal way.
December 1, 2012
One Film That's Relates To Certain Points In Life That Helps Teach A Lesson In Our Hearts That Is Complex And Entertaining. Though It Makes Us See That We Are All In Just One Movie. But We Have No Ending, Though It Goes On Forever With Our Lives As Sequels.
½ October 8, 2012
I thought the movie was overall powerful and timely in my life due to two recent suicides. There were many intentional cliches and also some inspiringly original quotes and dialogue.Great cinematography imo. not for everyone.
September 9, 2012
Bit Confusing at some points but an amazing film about teenage suicide
September 1, 2012
interesting concept just to damn weird.
August 14, 2012
I really enjoyed this movie, but the ending felt a lit tle rushed. I loved the way it was cut/shot, it gave film a great pace.
½ August 11, 2012
It's physically impossible to cry for this movie, because everything in it is grotesquely absurd. Very, very disappointing ending. Stupid, "there's a light at the end of the tunnel", ending. Not to mention how How Archie's so called suicide partner ditches him after EVERYTHING they went through. How does this even happen? I'll tell you how, cause this movie is stupid. I'm giving it 3 1/2 stars solely on the professionally done amateurish special effects.