Argo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ June 28, 2016
Love it, by far the best of Ben Affleck. Very impressive work on this movie
i like this 'longer version' best but it only adds 9 nines to the original
June 28, 2016
One of the greatest movies I ever seen.
June 28, 2016
Iranians were portrayed unfairly. Otherwise a good film.
June 28, 2016
I can't imagine being any of these people. The whole movie had my stomach in knots... loved it.
June 28, 2016
I waited much too long to watch this film. Mostly to see this version. It's practically perfect in every way. Affleck is an amazing director. Just watch it. It's great.
June 28, 2016
Great movie. It is so realistic. It is a very touching movie at the end too when the audiences start to know the taste of the real freedom with the Americans after the plane left the Iranian airspace. We North Americans truly have taken the freedom for granted. It is also quite disheartening to see the moment when the American government decided to pull off the action as the priority of the action causing a national embarrassment is higher than the lives of those 7 Americans. The great friendship & never-backdown support from the Canadian Embassy in Iran was the key backbone for the success of the action to save the lives of these 7 Americans. Ben Affleck did a great director and actor job in the movie. :-)
June 28, 2016
Great movie but I don't have a problem with Ben Affleck like everybody else, if I've said it once I've said it 1000 times John Goodman is the man!!
June 26, 2016
Two stars because I really enjoyed the first 25 min or so. I just didn't like where tech story was going and I didn't care about their fake movie they had to produce. Turned it off halfway. 2/5
June 17, 2016
Argo is a very well-made historical feature that is gripping and entertaining the whole way through. Well developed characters and excellent performances are rampant throughout making for good justification as to why this may have been the best movie of its year.
June 16, 2016
Amazing, fifth best film I have ever seen.
½ June 15, 2016
The terrific casting and adapted screenplay makes it hard to believe that this is a true story. The suspenseful drama had me clenching my fists by the end to see if the group would take off alive. Though i would have liked some more emotion from Ben Affleck, all in all, this movie nails the "target audience".
June 9, 2016
Solid plot based on true facts and events. The beginning was dry. Throughout, this movie lacked action and I can understand why given the facts of the plot.
May 29, 2016
Very, very overrated.
May 20, 2016
Just another film that shows that America can outsmart any country.
May 10, 2016
An absolute masterpiece sure to be a classic, Argo is meticulously directed and stands as a testament to director Ben Affleck's talent. Chris Terrio script perfectly compliments the direction with wit, humor, and sharp dialogue. Performances across the board are nothing short of phenomenal, and the film alternates between quotable humor and an anxiety-inducing tension.
Steve Grady
½ May 7, 2016
"Argo" perfectly tells the story of War and Drama. Set in the late 70's early 80's the plot to "Argo" is that six Americans that are being held in "Iran" and a man named "Tony Mendez" portrayed by "Ben Affleck" who works for the C.I.A. has an elaborate scheme to make a "fake" movie so he can travel to Iran and rescue the six Americans. The opening scene to "Argo" shows Iran's downfall and the people's rage being taken out on the "United States". The scene is edited to show the real event and the movie, which is edited well. For the most of the movie it shows "Tony Mendez" working to make sure that his movie "Argo" will allow him to enter and exit Iran. These scenes are interesting and sometimes humorous to watch. When watching these scenes the audience learns more about what type of person "Tony Mendez" really is. The climax of the film is very intense "Mendez" and his crew is constantly getting interfered with their plans. One thing that is an issue is "Mendez's" son and wife, they aren't really fleshed out as well as they should've been. "Ben Affleck" gives an amazing performance as "Tony Mendez" and truly deserved to win all of its awards. "Alexandre Desplat" does a stunning job at creating sad, dramatic and a suspenseful music score. "Argo" for the first hour and a half is filmed exceptionally, but the last half an hour the cameraman uses unnecessary crash zooms, close ups and shaking the camera. If you are a person who enjoys some of "Ben Affleck's" films then I highly recommend you watch "Argo" as it has amazing acting, a terrific score and a stunning climax. Although the movie is not perfect and does have some issues, these being the last half an hour having close ups and crash zooms and some characters not being fleshed out. I give 2012's "Argo" a 9/10.
½ May 7, 2016
'Argo' - let's face it, we've all confused it with 'Fargo' in our heads at least once, right? Anyway, this is a great film, so much so that I forgive Affleck for 'Gigli' (Yes, it's THAT good!).

I don't have much to say about this one, because it gets everything right, really. The story is based on true events but is so interesting that you wouldn't think it, the performances are great thanks to the film's cast being so superbly well-matched to their characters, the film is slick, stylish, and on point, and it's just the right length for what it offers.

A job very well done. I will say that it did lack the 'wow' factor a little for me (I accept that this is a pointlessly-vague criticism though) as, whilst it was a great watch, I'm reluctant to add it to the list of my favourite films anytime soon. I don't think that's what 'Argo' is really going for anyway though- it simply wants to tell a story, a story that actually happened. In that sense, it is a perfect film.