Argo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Argo Reviews

½ February 6, 2017
Once again Ben Affleck proves to be a very skillful director!
February 5, 2017
Very good a true story I enjoyed it very much on the edge of the seat stuff
January 29, 2017
Besides having a great cast, the strong editing in Argo provided for a good looking and tense, thrilling film.
January 14, 2017
In personal memory, few 3rd acts have come even close to matching the edge of your seat intensity that Argo provides. Nevertheless, credit should not be taken from the rest of this finely tuned thriller. Excellent performances and surprisingly effective humor give this fact based story a high powered motor.
January 14, 2017
Pro: semi interesting, but fell flat
Con: too much hype, wasn't anythimg special. Zero Dark Thirty and 13 Hours were way better.
January 10, 2017
not a huge ben affleck fan, but this was a very good movie
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 23, 2016
???? ????? ?? ??? ??????
?? ???? ??? ???? ?????? ???? ?????? ??????????
????? ??? ?????? ???? ???????
December 17, 2016
Best film of 2012. Affleck's strongest film yet.
½ December 9, 2016
Tense historical drama that marks Ben Affleck's arrival to the director's club.
½ November 22, 2016
The winner of Best Picture by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, 'Argo' is a smart, funny drama that brings to life a real-life event. This is a must see, if not for the ensemble cast, but for the slow build of tension. Despite some poetic license taken by Director and star Ben Affleck, 'Argo' is indeed one of those rare must-see films of the 21st century. Final Score: 9.2
November 20, 2016
A political thriller about the Iranian hostage situation in the early 80s. This tells the untold story of the American hero behind the scenes CIA guy who saved their asses and thwarted a possible war situation. Its incredible that this idea was even thought of or approved and that it actually was pulled off. I've heard of the Iranian American embassy hostage situation taking forever (almost 2 years), but didn't ever hear about these particular hostages who escaped. These poor people are caught in a horrible situation just because of their nationality. The tension was so thick in this film you could cut it with a knife. For that reason, along with the ingenuity and meticulousness of the plot to escape- you can't help but cheer them on. One of my fav Affleck films and while it had some of his "cool guy" that tries too hard in the script, it didn't get too heavy handed. Also, unlike a lot of political films this movie was very easy to follow and wasn't bogged down with govt. jargon.
November 17, 2016
Argo reaffirms Ben Affleck's skills as a filmmaker.
½ November 16, 2016
A terrific, tense, and funny thriller that never has a dull moment.
½ October 31, 2016
Ben Affleck is just a better director than an actor
October 21, 2016
Argo is the political thriller based on the 1979 Iranian hostage situation in which 6 Americans were left to fend for themselves in the centre of Tehran. CIA Operative Tony Mendez (played by Ben Affleck) is sent into Iran to evacuate the Americans out safely under the cover of being a film production crew working on a picture called 'Argo'.

The film is absolutely amazing and definitely one of the best films I've seen in a long time, throughout 2012 and 2013 so far we have been treated with some great films such as Skyfall, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty and more, but in my own personal opinion Argo takes the bait as the best of them all. Proof is present as it won 3 BAFTA's for best picture, best director and best editing, also nominated for a further 8 Oscars in 85th Academy Awards.

The film is packed with a sense of threat, peril and intensity all portrayed exceptionally well through the ensemble cast including Ben Affleck (The Town), John Goodman (Big Lebowski), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Alan Arkin (Edward Scissorhands) and Victor Garber (Titanic). The ending is by far the most intense ending I have seen in a long time, visually presented in such an astounding way.

Director Ben Affleck started out his auteur career after his directional debut Gone Baby Gone became critically acclaimed, three years later The Town came out with an Oscar nomination. Now 2 years on we have Argo, Affleck's best film by far.
½ October 15, 2016
Ben Affleck brings the best of him as the director and also as the actor, with so many great scenes full of tense and thrill.This movie was a lot better than the other 2 movie Affleck directed and he definitely deserved the Oscar for it.
½ October 12, 2016
Argo Fuck Yourself.......
October 9, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: We knew by this point that Ben Affleck can both act and direct to an incredible standard, but he still manages to surprise us with every great turn he makes. This time, he pulled out all the stops and as a result 'Argo' is one of the most inventively put together and well directed films of 2012 (and that's saying something by the way). He really grips you through each creative montage and scene change; it actually feels like the events are unfolding before your very eyes at points, and this journey is often aided by the contrasting performances and tones that the movie straddles. Somehow it's incredibly engaging and exciting, whilst also scarcastically mocking and entertaining at times...
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As I said, manier contrast this film doth straddle - and whilst it mostly gels, it occasionaly doesn't. I feel the tonal confusion that this creates is mainly apparent in the lengthly set-up, but at least it's diminished by the end.
VERDICT: What's most apparent is just how well-made Argo is, but that doesn't stop you from properly engaging and having a great time with it. Well done again Mr Affleck, you've outdone yourself.
½ October 4, 2016
All this kicked off when I was but a mere sprog at the tender age of 1 year old, that's a long time ago folks. So Affleck steps up to the podium with an attempt at an epic, gritty, realistic political rollercoaster which is based on a true story where there wasn't actually that much danger truth be told.

Based on true events and more recently an article about the whole charade. The story involves a small group of Americans trapped in Iran after the US embassy was stormed and taken by militants. The group pretty much hide away in various places, moving around somewhat with the help of other foreign embassy folk until the Canadian Ambassador 'takes them in'. From there on the CIA conjure up a plan to extract the lost escapees by hoaxing the scouting of a major motion sci-fi picture and pretending the six Americans are crew members.

On the visual side of things this film did impress me, its pretty flawless as Iran is recreated right down to small details that were captured on film at the time (a man strung up by a large crane downtown). The clothes, hairstyles, cars, interior decorations, technology etc...are all spot on and captures the late 70's perfectly. The cast are all terrific and perform beautifully, I admit I don't know who most of them are (the escapees mainly) but they do a sterling job.

Alan Arkin is by far the best thing going for the A list actors on show. His gruff, rude outspoken manner is brilliant for his character of the film producer Lester Siegel (fictional character), great Hollywood type name too. John Goodman is here again!! this time he does a good job as old Hollywood makeup artist John Chambers. Not only is his calm demeanour very likeable and pleasant but he actually looks like the guy too.

When it comes to the lead role of 'Mendez' played by Affleck I gotta take a step back from my enjoyment of the film. Like I say I did enjoy the film, but a nagging thought in my head just keeps telling me Affleck gave or saved the best meatiest role for himself...simply because it was his film and he could.
Yes Affleck does OK in the role, there is no machoism going on, no over the top acting, its all very straight laced and plain. But the fact his character was Latino and I don't think Affleck really looked like the guy either kinda makes me wonder why he just didn't cast someone more appropriate. Yes I realise what I just said doesn't mean Affleck wouldn't be good for the role and not give the right performance, but because he was the director I just sense a bit of self indulgence really. Meh! but that's just me.

So yep this was truly daring stuff, the kind of thing you'd half expect to hear from a dashing WWII adventure by us crafty Brits. As usual though we do have the problem of the Yanks taking a lot of credit for themselves and ignoring everyone else. As with a few other war stories, certain other parties involved in this plot have unfortunately been given a bit of the cold shoulder. To the common viewer it won't make a difference of course but to those involved it has been noticed and caused a slight stir.

Most of the film is a build up for the finale which doesn't disappoint I guarantee. The whole finale is a bit predictable naturally but it still grabs you by the collar. Even the build up is interesting which surprised me as I expected lots of dull political/government spiel from lots of grey suited blokes with thick rimmed glasses and hair partings you could sail a boat down.

The film in general, I must give kudos to Affleck and his team for what they have achieved. Despite the need for adding a few Hollywood moments to rack up the tension like the runway chase and various sweat inducing confrontations, the film is reasonably accurate and highly enjoyable. Probably the most exciting tense ride I've experienced in a film for sometime where no one actually gets shot or killed!