The Aristocats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Aristocats Reviews

jamrcla
½ July 18, 2016
When Disney rehashes older films with new characters you get a film like this, Predictable, Not funny but a nice little story.
July 8, 2016
Always has been one of my favorite Disney movies
½ June 12, 2016
One of my favorites when I was 10 years old, and still a favorite at the age of 40.
½ May 5, 2016
Rather thin on story, but charming in just about every other aspect.
April 11, 2016
"The Aristocats" is the twin brother of "Robin Hood" (1973). Both are weak and terrible animations in every way. I will not go into detail about the poor quality of the animation - typical of the Disney's dark era - but about the plot. Edgar is the most stupid and dumb villain I've ever seen in an animated film. Why the heck Edgar decided to kill the cats BEFORE Madame Bonfamille die? And why the heck he gave sleeping pills to cats and went to a distant place, when he simply could arrest all cats in a bag and drown them? The plot is nonsense even to children.
April 10, 2016
Fun music and great animation but uninteresting plot
½ March 2, 2016
NOTE: This film was recommended to me by Lizz Rutter for "Steve Pulaski Sees It."

Disney's The Aristocats is such a charming, almost compelling story that I wished the narrative didn't need to interrupt itself so sporadically with jazz-fueled musical numbers amongst not only cats, but dogs and a variety of other animals. The musical interjections, that push this Disney film over the edge into being a full-blown musical like most of their films in this respective era, unfortunately disrupts the magic these feline characters manage to conjure up when they are just trying to sift their way through their poor circumstance.

The result, as one can expect, is a film that you say "aww" to over a dozen times and a film that has you either tapping your foot or rocking your legs in melodic harmony with the music. The Aristocats is a simplistic story, concerning a wealthy woman named Madame Adelaide (voiced by Hermione Baddeley) in 1910 Paris that has just signed a will granting her lavish estate to her cat Dutchess (Eva Gabor) and her three kittens. This move greatly upsets her jealous, hot-headed English butler Edgar (Roddy Maude-Roxby), who has slaved away at serving Madame Adelaide for years and has ostensibly gotten nothing in return. As a result, Edgar conjures up a plan to get rid of the cats so when Adelaide dies, he can inherit the estate. He rounds up the four cats and throws them into the street, where the four homebody felines must learn to survive in order to be reconnected with their Madame.

On the long, rainy, and uncertain road back home, Duchess meets a gentle feral cat named Thomas O'Malley (Phil Harris), who has been living off the land for many years. O'Malley is kind to Duchess, as he recognizes their predicament, but most important to note is how well he responds to her kittens, playing with them and assisting them whenever they need it. Both him and Duchess strike up an affable relationship as the gang tries to get back home, but not without a few musical numbers slowing them down along the way.

The Aristocats, in a strange way, could almost be seen as a parable for single parent-dating or "getting back out there," especially for a woman who has children, which is no easy process. The film showcases such a challenge with admirable conviction and a willingness to have long stretches without musical numbers or any kind of distractions in order to allow this relationship to build. For an animated film in the modern day, even some of the best ones stamped with the Disney or Disney Pixar approval can't help but feel a bit scatterbrained in some sense, stepping over their toes to try and cover all the bases in subplots, character relations, and cause-and-effect relationships that are questionably worthy of being a focus in said film.

The Aristocats was birthed in a time when animation took a more relaxed and reserved approach, which is why we could see Duchess, O'Malley, and Duchess's kittens do everything from hop aboard a train to meet two snobby swans in a river below a bridge. This kind of fluid, real-time focus on the characters makes the process and narrative development all the more natural. Of course, the film cuts back to Madame Adelaide desperately trying to find her cats, along with Edgar's conniving plan to make sure the furry beasts will never come home, and the jazzy musical numbers occasionally get in the way of a film that's already extremely short (a mere seventy-eight minutes). However, nothing truly distracts from The Aristocats being simple, effervescent entertainment with a plethora of fun characters, a timely moral, and, okay, some pretty catchy jazz numbers as well.

Voiced by: Edna Gabor, Phil Harris, Hermione Baddeley, and Roddy Maude-Roxby. Directed by: Wolfgang Reitherman.
February 10, 2016
If you have a cat you would like this movie. I saw this movie when I was young and I like how the cats play music and dance. So see this movie!
February 2, 2016
Pretty cute. Marie is such a pretty cat lol
½ February 2, 2016
I found this movie boring tbh...some of the music was good in it, but I couldn't make myself watch the whole thing again...it was definitely better as a kid :P
½ January 16, 2016
I liked this. The plot was thin and wobbly but I enjoyed the characters and even found the movie humourous at times. Great voice cast. Watch out for the annoying stereo-typically racist alley-cats (thanks Disney).
½ December 16, 2015
The music's great. The movie's OK.
½ December 13, 2015
Aristocrats has a plain plot and much less at stake than most Disney films, there is still enough classic charm and fun to be had to make it worthwhile family entertainment. The chase scenes with the dogs are particularly amusing.
December 2, 2015
An Interesting take on cats and Jazz.
November 15, 2015
Not one of Disney's best, but Phil Harris keeps the film pulsing.
October 11, 2015
Excellent little animated film.
½ October 1, 2015
A fun and enjoyable classic.
September 27, 2015
A cute Disney animated movie
September 26, 2015
Voices are familiar if you know classic Disney and the jokes are ones that might not fly today under the PC banner but were charming to me as a time gone by. Three year old still mesmerized by physical humor so well crafted in the time before computer animation.