Army of Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Army of Darkness Reviews

½ January 12, 2016
This film is tremendously fun, has a great sense of humor, Bruce Campbell is excellent, as usual, and Sam Raimi's directing style is fantastic and unique.
½ January 9, 2016
Quite silly but has its moments.

A man in modern times, Ash (played by Bruce Campbell), is attacked by
an evil force and transported back in time, to the Dark Ages. He is
soon captured by the local king but eventually wins the locals over.
The local wise man figures that Ash is The Chosen One, a special person
sent to free the land from evil forces. To do so he must track down a
special book, the Necronomicon, and recite a certain phrase. However,
things don't go exactly to plan...

This started well. The jokes flowed thick and fast and Bruce Campbell
was great with the one-liners. The plot was never going to be too
serious but it wasn't too bad to start off with, and the humour carried
the movie.

Then, from a point, it just got stupidly silly, and the jokes become
less frequent. It stopped being a comedy and become a common-or- garden
zombie / living dead movie. There were still a few good incidences and
laugh-out-loud moments, but these were negated by the silliness of the
plot.

Overall, more silly than funny, but not to a huge extent.
January 5, 2016
The 'Evil Dead' franchise, aiming more for an action/adventure vibe in an attempt to broaden its audience, takes on the cheesy monster movies and sword-and-sorcery epics of the 60's and does it brilliantly. 'Army of Darkness' is a worthy addition to the series, as well as a wonderful, whimsical comic homage to Ray Harryhausen.
December 23, 2015
pretty bad but worth a few laughs. I liked it when I was younger.
December 10, 2015
Todavia peor que la segunda parte, se metieron en terrenos medievales y ejercitos de zombies. Pesima conclusion a la trilogia.
December 5, 2015
Still one of the most utterly watchable movies ever. Its fun every time you see it.
½ November 17, 2015
I think the worst movie I ever saw
November 16, 2015
My full opinion: Well, I don't have any issues, while I was watching it, and I certainly wasn't at all disappointed with it. What I can tell you about Army of Darkness is this. It's not as funny or, entertaining as Evil Dead 2, but I did laugh, and I did find myself entertained by it, nevertheless. 3/4
November 6, 2015
The third opus of the hilarious horror trilogy, Army Of Darkness is a hell of a ride! Funny, witty and filled with classic lines, this final installment goes beyond anything imaginable and turns out to be a great conclusion to the saga of Ash Vs. Evil. Of course the freshness of the original or even the creativity of the second are not as sharp here but the plot unfolds quite nicely and the situations flows. It's totally relax but it's entertaining, fun, well shot and definitely a heck of a trip! CULT!
½ November 3, 2015
The first thing that this movie is is a special effects masterpiece. For its time and budget, there is no questioning Sam Raimi's wonderboy talent as a visual artist.

The camp is in top form with endlessly quotable cheese ball lines, Bruce Campbell is terrifically suited to the character of Ash, more so than in the last two, and as I said, the effects are awesome.
It's endless, utter silliness and cool action makes this a fantastically entertaining camp horror comedy classic.
½ November 3, 2015
It follows a similar structure of a storyline, but the horror series gets better and better in a nice change of setting with some fantasy action and little more comic, and more work into Campbell's performance. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
November 1, 2015
As a family friendly fantasy adventure, Army of Darkness is actually pretty damn good with a great final battle, unfortunately though, because of its looney toon nature and lack of horror, it falls short as an Evil Dead sequel.
½ October 30, 2015
Always been my lease favorite of the series by far, but it's still so damn fun! So many great one-liners. Such a goofy good time!
October 27, 2015
The face that someone said, "THIS IS THE GUY I WANT TO MAKE SPIDER-MAN," blows my mind. Army of Darkness is a direct continuation of the Evil Dead 2 and stomps its predecessor's face in the mud to climb over it. Hilarious and quotable this is the sort of movie that aggravates your partner after watching since you will likely start squinting your eyes and saying groovy for no reason. The effects are often rotten but it doesn't matter if you love it and I love it.
October 25, 2015
One of the funniest films ever made.
October 24, 2015
How did we go from a simple horror movie in a cabin in the woods to a horror comedy set in medieval times? Sam Raimi, that's how. This movie is hilarious, and if you didn't watch Evil Dead 2, you would be confused as heck to see this paired up with the first two movies. This is the campiest, the funniest, and the most outright weird entry in the Evil Dead franchise. Despite this, it is my least favorite. That doesn't mean it doesn't have incredible scenes. The acting is hilarious, Bruce Campbell owns the role of Ash again, and the stop-motion visuals work well with it's campy tone. It truly is an impressive feat when you look at it's visuals, even if it does look dated today. Sometimes the movie slows down, and overall it feels like the most conventional, despite the wackiness. The first two are so unique in story and visuals that this ultimately feels like a medieval comedy that plays out like you would expect. It doesn't have the jaw-dropping "I don't know if I'm supposed to be scared or laughing" moments, but as this movie isn't much of a horror movie, it doesn't bother me too much. Overall, it isn't as unique as the first two, but it is ever-so entertaining. Hail to the king, baby! 8.5/10
October 22, 2015
It's a fine enough movie, and if it wasn't part of the Evil Dead series it would be an easy four stars. However, it's so tonally different from the other two that it's almost distracting. Bruce Campbell still gives a great performance, but it's hard to root for Ash, who in this movie is honestly kind of a jerk.
October 17, 2015
Army of Darkness (or Evil Dead III, if you're so inclined) had the potential to be the worst film in the Evil Dead series. If you really think about it, the story and the ideas contained within could have come off as far too hokey or ridiculous and could have potentially hurt the film's success. Thankfully, they don't. The film is hokey, to be sure, but it's intentional. It's far removed from the original horror classic. Sam Raimi, Ivan Raimi, Robert Tapert, and Bruce Campbell knew exactly what they were doing when they made it. Despite the multiple versions of the film (U.S. Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, International Cut), the film made a splash with not only fans of the Evil Dead films but of the genre, as well. Does it eclipse Evil Dead I and II? Well no, that's not possible, but it does add to the fun without taking anything away from it. It's a movie I never tire of and it's an absolute blast to watch. By the way, in case you might be wondering, I prefer the U.S. Theatrical Cut. The longer cuts are just too clunky, in my opinion.
October 9, 2015
Greatest Movie of All Time!