Arn - Tempelriddaren (Arn: The Knight Templar) Reviews

• Aug 04, 2018

It's not a bad movie, not on a technical level and it's fairly competent at telling it's story. The characters were all right, although I wish they were fleshed out a bit more. However like so many other movies it had a hard time being historically accurate. The part I am thinking of in particular is when the two main characters commit adultery. While I'm not familiar with what Sweden was like in the middle ages, it was Catholic and so I found it a bit odd that they were not sentenced to death, rather than twenty years in a monastery. The movie switches between being predictable and unpredictable, ending up with a good balance. Overall I'd say it's average. Not a great movie, but certainly not bad.

• Jul 15, 2017

Slow I thought. The story was ok. Not the best crusader type movie I ever saw.

Slow I thought. The story was ok. Not the best crusader type movie I ever saw.

• Feb 16, 2016

Not as exciting or adventurous as I had hoped but it was a good movie.

Not as exciting or adventurous as I had hoped but it was a good movie.

• Nov 19, 2015

The film's meaning is that based in faith, so its progression can be readily discerned by looking to the Heavens for said meaning. As most Christians know, life is not about serving oneself or simply attempting to maintain ease and comfort, but to serve a Higher Power. From the outset, Arn Magnusson is meant for greatness. Not greatness according to man--wealth, titles, and power--but to what God desires. This point is born out in Cecilia's statement to Arn: "You were meant not to win wars but to bring peace." At the outset, we discover that Arn has been given the skills of a warrior, so that instead of paying for his sexual sins locked up as a monk, he is told he must serve in God's army. The next major event--Arn kills a group of bandits inadvertently protecting every Christian's enemy, sultan Saladin--works well to maintain the On High plot of Arn's life of service and merit to all things Eternal, serving a greater, not lesser short-sighted human need. Because Arn has met and befriended Saradin, knowing him best, he is allowed to lead the attack against Saradin in the dessert. Catching him by surprise, Arn's army defeats Saradin's forces. Nevertheless, Saradin wins the next battle, slaughtering all the Christians like "dogs," but Sardin allows Arn to live out of respect for the great warrior, but even more importantly, out of honour and respect Saradin sends Arn home pledging peace. Here, the Higher Power uses war to bring together two men of honour to preserve greater peace for the long run, rather than to risk eternal ruin. Finally, Arn returns home to reunite with his love and his son. Great celebration and peace reigns, but it is only temporary, for there is internal strife and a battle ensues over the control of the kingdom. Hollywood would probably allow Arn to win, which he did, but to live with Cecilia happily ever after as well. But a Higher Power sees things differently. God has allowed Arn to earn much honour, to serve Him well in generating the peace Cecilia prophesied, but the great warrior must seal his dedication to God and peace with his blood, such an ending the coup de grace to a wonderful epic. A very well acted, well written, and produced film.

• Jan 08, 2015

A Swedish Kingdom Of Heaven, I Liked It...!

A Swedish Kingdom Of Heaven, I Liked It...!

• Jan 06, 2015

Some great stuff, and some shit.

Some great stuff, and some shit.

• Nov 06, 2014

Despite the Crusades going on and the uprisings between clans in Sweden, this is a story of love, perseverance, and faith. The battles are awesome, with the final battle being epic. Arn is a skilled swordsman and a great motivator of men. He gave every ounce in every battle to ensure he would not let the love of his life down. Excellent movie but a bit too long; had a couple of lulls it didn't need.

• Oct 30, 2014

This is good, little bloody.

This is good, little bloody.

• Aug 30, 2014

Good period piece with a glut of Scandinavian actors now familiar thanks to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Nordic Noir. Well paced, fulfilling and packed with pathos.

• May 27, 2014

This movie is about a man who falls in love. But the one he is in love with has a jealous sister who frames him and her sister for adultry. Arn is sent to be a knight templar. and she is sent to be a nun. In this I have personally found that it did well with developing the characters. it all starts when Arn is a kid and continues through his life. I would recommend this movie for those who love the life of a paladin and like drama