The Second Arrival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Second Arrival Reviews

September 7, 2013
why did they make this movie why
½ April 9, 2013
This film is sequel abuse. It's so unimaginative and a joy kill to the original that it should have never even been produced.
½ September 17, 2012
Pulverizes the first film, leaving you with nothing of real interest or entertainment value.
April 4, 2012
Ooooh, bad, just uh, bad! You know it's bad when they can't get enough extras to populate the background of a major city.
½ February 13, 2011
Even more boring than the original! Need i say more??? THE ACTING REALLY SUCKS TOO!
December 14, 2010
A pointless and poorly conceived sequel that sets everything back to square one. So it might as well be a crappy remake.
October 7, 2010
ummm, not much can be said of this piece of $#!+ movie. one of the worst movies ever made
August 22, 2010
The original arrival was quite a decent little movie, though I'm sure it didn't shatter any box office records. So why, you might ask, would anybody bother to make a sequel?
Another question you might ask would be, why would anybody bother to watch it?
If you can figure out an answer, let me know.
½ August 6, 2010
wow just awful! when mr sheen turns down the sequel question marks have to be asked. i guess they couldnt afford him? they couldnt afford any decent special effects or actors!!This one revolves around sheens un talked about half brother who uncovers the alien attack along with a reporter (every think why didnt they give ross ex-wife more lines in friends?? you get your answer here!!!). Lots of running about happens and thats your lot!!! Exciting stuff!
½ July 28, 2010
Let me start off by saying, this is NOT as bad as everyone says! With that said.... it's still crap

Summary:

Zane is DEAD! The media reports he died of a supposed "heart attack". Wisely however, before his death he decided to send all his information on the secret alien terraforming of the planet, to a group of people he believed would carry the torch if he were to perish. One of the persons he sends it too is his brother Jack. Jack is not quite as intelligent as Zane and seems to have a chip on his shoulder. At first Jack is in denial of the alien invasion, and is reluctant to take any action in the plan to expose the terraforming of earth. However, when the rest of the people that were supposed to help expose the terraforming secret and save the planet are killed by the aliens, it is up to Jack and a reporter named Bridget Riordan to help expose the truth about the impending destruction of human life on earth.

The Good:

This was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be! The original was a "B" movie by ALL standards, and this one follows in it's footsteps. The story is quite interesting as was the story in the first movie. If you watch this movie for any reason it would be to see the story of the original advanced.

The lead actor Patrick Muldoon surprised me with his acting. By no means was it "great" but for a cheap "B" movie sequel he definitely surpassed my expectations!

The special effects were surprisingly well done! Most of it is CGI, but for a 1998 low budget movie, it was more then you could ask for! The aliens and their gadgets look just as good here as they did in the original.

The Bad:

Ok, there is a lot BAD to say about this movie!

First of all, while I mentioned the story was interesting, it was definitely poorly told. It jumps from one non-sensical scene to the next. The amount of times our heroes escape from the "bad" guys with out a scratch or even a chase is RIDICULOUS. This movie features some of the laziest police officers the world has ever seen! They chase our heroes on foot, but as soon as they jump into a vehicle, it's over! Literally there was several scenes where it shows them begin chased, they jump into a car and thats it, no one ever goes after them and the movie simply moves on! PREPOSTEROUS! The vast amount of unintelligence is brain numbing. I think the likes of zombies and DR. Frankensteins creature would have their intelligence insulted by this film. Oh and don't get me started on the cliches! From forced romances, to predictable twist's, this film had them ALL!

The acting was ATROCIOUS! The "bad" guys tried so hard to be monotone and unexpressive that they looked silly. The good guys tried so hard to be funny that they looked like morons! Overall, even for a "B" movie the acting was pretty lame.

Out of everything that was wrong with the movie the biggest fault was poor execution! The movie had like half a dozen "twists". Some of them wouldn't have been half bad if the director would've known what the hell he was doing! It goes from failed action scene, to failed comedy scene, to failed horror scene, to failed chase scene, to failed "twist" scene. The amount of failed scenes is unprecedented! Everything happens too fast and too awkward. The way the movie is directed makes you feel extremely distant from the characters and their situation. This is what ultimately finishes ruining a movie like this.

Overall:

The concept and story are interesting, the lead actor can be charming at times, and the special effects look great for it's time. Unfortunately, the story is poorly told, there are one too many nonsensical and preposterous scenes, the acting is terrible, and the cliche count is high. The overall feeling is that the film wasted it's potential due to failed execution and poor direction.
½ March 2, 2010
I think other are being a little too critical. As a sequel, it not bad. It's fast paced and has a reasonable good story.
February 2, 2010
One of these "Oh there was a sequel?" movies that comes out to these science fiction movies that are somewhat successful. The original Arrival, as you may remember, starred Charlie Sheen as a amateur astronomer which stumbled into something big. The 2nd one starts out by us finding out that Charlie Sheen has been bumped off (he's not at all in the movie of course) and he left instructions for his brother and company to find. Of course, this being, again, a half assed sequel, we're forced to endure elements of what made the original interesting (the sphere, the aliens) in twice the capacity. A lot of the plot doesnt make sense, characters are half-explained, and it all takes place in Canada. At least SOME of the special effects are all right. So, in summary, prepare to be amused by this piece of crap.
January 7, 2010
did a good job on a sequial!
½ December 19, 2009
Little wierd to see this this evening. Today the Copenhagen meating ended so .....
½ November 1, 2009
A pretty pathetic attempt here. Awful acting, a horrible script, uninspired direction and boring overall. I regret having seen this.
½ April 4, 2009
mediocre followup with even lower budget and worse acting.
March 21, 2009
A very poor movie from a decent sequel. This movie fails so badly where the first one succeeded. Bad acting with very bad dialogue. This had a couple of nice eye candy scenes, but that was all. Pretty much a total waste.
½ February 22, 2009
Not as good as the 1st installment in the series. but the storyline was pretty solid. It's just that the ppl they picked to potray the aliens were just a bit blank & very emotionless. & they left this film open for a 3rd installment.. I surely hope this is the last film.
September 2, 2008
I liked the first one, but this was just garbage.