Art of the Prank Reviews

• Jun 08, 2018

OG prankster Joey is a hit or miss subject for a documentary but Art of the Prank takes the inside track and makes you truly love its subject, Joey, not pranks. This is what gives this study in mindfuckery have more heart than say, Yes Men or Improv Everywhere. The time it takes with the subject and the back and forth linearity merge into something almost poignant but definitely entertaining and thought provoking in our age of fake.

• Dec 04, 2017

Art of the Prank is a great movie that makes you question and think, what else have I fallen for? And its great for some laughs too.

• Nov 01, 2017

A great behind the scenes look at America's greatest prankster. And the movie itself is part of a massive prank! Skaggs is a genius.

• Oct 31, 2017

I truly enjoyed watching this! It reminded me of the good old days, but most importantly, it made me more conscious of what's really happening with the media. A must see!

• Oct 30, 2017

This film is awesome . i totally fell in love with joeys art .

This film is awesome . i totally fell in love with joeys art .

• Oct 30, 2017

Loved it!! Brilliant, Funny and very clever---just what you'd expect from the unique mind of Joey Skaggs !! Put it on your 'must see' list.

• Oct 30, 2017

Wonderfully funny takedown of the media - ahead of its time. Totally original and mindbending!

• Oct 30, 2017

Skaggs has mocked and bamboozled the Media with "Fake News" for 50 years in the in interest of truth and accuracy. His antics bring to mind the old Mark Twain quote: "The glory which is built upon a lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. ... How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!"

• Oct 29, 2017

Unusual doc about an unusual guy, Joey Skaggs, legendary media hoaxer and prankster. You'll be happy you watched it; it's amusing all the way. Starts with his work in the 60s in downtown New York when Skaggs first turned his art into political performance and traces his path over the next 40 years in changing times. Lots of archive footage tell a complete and compelling story.

• Oct 29, 2017

What a marvelous movie! The construct is terrific: instead of doing just a "greatest hits" compendium of Joey Skaggs' pranks that fooled print and TV reporters (of which there are plenty in the movie), the documentary morphs into a close-up of a Joey prank which is a fake documentary that fooled the festival cinema crowd. The pace is great and the laughs are heartfelt. I saw the flick with a pal who thought this was not a good time to cast reporting in a negative light considering the present hostile environment created by Trump. I say, fear not, oh defenders of the fourth estate! This movie is a great tonic against all that madness. I wish everyone sees it - they will experience a wonderfully apolitical HILARIOUS treatise on what fake news REALLY is all about.