Art School Confidential - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Art School Confidential Reviews

January 31, 2013
Man, I wanted to like this skewering of the exploiters who claim to teach art, but the filmmakers didn't trust their own instincts enough, their own vision ... and so added some lame-o bit about a murderer on campus to "liven things up". Too bad. Nonetheless, their are some good performances, particularly Jim Broadbent as the undiscovered artist gestating in murky void, and Sophia Myles as "the muse" (what else?).
January 13, 2013
Max Minghella's best one!
½ December 25, 2012
this is one of those fucked up comedies that i love. just like fargo. this movie is one reason that i think can start coming back.
½ December 21, 2012
I like the movie, however there is a lot going on that just doesnt help the film. Great in concept, but not as good of an actual film as Ghost World and a bit too played out.
cosmo313
December 11, 2012
I like Zwigoff, so this could be good.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
November 5, 2012
i really enjoyed this film, just my type of humor in it, and it also had some touching moments in it. it wasa very original film.
½ October 28, 2012
Art School Confidential is a juvenile, poorly written muddled mess of a movie that lacks any of the charm or wit others in the 'high school/college movie' genre have panned out previously. I added an extra star both because I might be biased due to actually having attended art school and because I couldn't sit through the entire movie. What I can say is that it offers a very cynical, one-dimensional view of art as an institution that never quite comes through as satire but instead as ignorance.
½ October 23, 2012
terrible,stupid,disturbed,
not enjoyable,soul-less
October 9, 2012
UGH. It's like two different, uninspired themes fighting with each other for airtime. It's weird, ugly, and not worth your time.
October 3, 2012
Strange plot. Interesting movie. Didn't know exactly what the point of the film was.
September 28, 2012
Highly disappointed.
September 23, 2012
wish theyda let me have drawing in school(mine were too scary).
½ September 18, 2012
So accurately captures the madness of art school and the insanity of the art world - loved it
September 8, 2012
A wonderful, bitter and cynical movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves.
½ July 3, 2012
Young Picasso in Catcher In The Rye.
½ June 29, 2012
Full of cliches and talented people
½ June 26, 2012
It hops from one story to the next and none of them are very good.
June 22, 2012
It's not that I didn't like Art School Confidential, it's more like I don't care much about it either.
The premise could make a decent movie I guess, and the casting of John Malkovich (who would make a better art teacher?) and Jim Broadbent is genius but after all the whole film is somewhere between flat and preposterous.

Flat because it never gets really intense or thrilling or even melodramatic, preposterous because some thought this would actually be a genuine film.

Whoever likes semi-comedic Indie films about art cliché should stop by immediately - everyone else won't find enough in there for good but I also can't see anyone hating Art School (it's even funny at times and the ending isn't bad either)
½ June 18, 2012
One of the best films I've seen in the last few years. Once again the reviews by the critics and audience are killing me. Great original story with excellent acting and a really cool unexpected ending. This movie kept me interested throughout.