Artemisia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Artemisia Reviews

August 13, 2008
While this was supposed to be a beautiful story of love, I of course took the side of the father in the film. The girl was so stupid and selfish and hurt so many people especially her father and defied society all in the name of sinful personal gratification.
June 25, 2008
Interesting biopic (arguably historically inaccurate) of a great artist.
½ June 13, 2008
Foreign, French. A very good movie! A must see! Is based on a true story and a real person.
½ May 6, 2008
yeah, the historical stuff is pretty spotty, but the story is captivating and the performances are good.
½ March 8, 2008
Disappointing, if I remember correctly...and I'm not sure I do because I saw it so long ago and was clearly underwhelmed...
January 2, 2008
She is one of my favourite artists!!
½ January 1, 2008
1111111111111111111111111111
December 28, 2007
Tu m'as convaincu: "L'histoire de la première femme peintre. "
½ December 4, 2007
the performances are amazing even if the story itself is not accurate.
November 29, 2007
Yes, I know this movie is historically inaccurate, but that doesn't change the fact that this is still a wonderful and intensely erotic film. Artemisia's sexual awakening feels very feel, even if it wasn't, and isn't that what great movie-making is all about? Perhaps a bit too melodramatic at the end, and slow in the beginning, but that doesn't seem to detract too much from the overall beauty of this film.
November 15, 2007
Ok, so it isn't necessary what really happened, but the story is good and there are special point for spotting the scenes from her painting.
½ November 4, 2007
Agréablement surpris, dans la mesure où c'est probablement l'un des thèmes qui me rejoint le moins sur tout cette planète. L'histoire de la première femme peintre. Wow. Quoi de plus passionnant? Non, sincèrement, les trentes premières minutes du film m'ont vraiment ennuyées, principalement par leur approche à l'eau de rose de l'histoire d'Artemisia, une femme rebelle qui osait enfin s'affirmer.

Toutefois, dès qu'on s'aperçoit qu'elle se rebelle par sa naïveté, on se laisse un tantinet charmer par toute cette histoire qui prend vite des allures d'émeute. Et puis, voir Miki Manojlovic parler en français, ça n'a pas de prix. Ah, Underground...
October 29, 2007
Somehow I'm attracted to movies about painters...
October 19, 2007
Yes, this movie is historically inaccurate. Fact. But as a story in its own right, a story the writers created to talk about cultural oppression, historical editing, and the female perspective, it is really quite beautiful.
½ October 16, 2007
A young renissance artist falls in love with her teacher!
½ October 16, 2007
This movie gets marks for cinematic appeal, but the historical inaccuracies were enough to make my eyes bleed.
October 4, 2007
I liked this film and now am interested in learning more about Artemisia Gentileschi.
½ September 26, 2007
Les femmes sont des personnes comme le stipule les billets de 50$ ! Y paraitrait qu'elles peuvent peindre !? Très bon film ;)
September 22, 2007
I got this film because one of my daughter has so much artistic talent and I love the film too
½ September 15, 2007
Amazing film. Beautifully shot and superbly acted. This is one of the best films I seen this year.