Article 99 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Article 99 Reviews

½ July 4, 2016
good hospital com-dram
½ November 1, 2015
Entertaining , interesting hospital-movie , with 3 Favorite actors of mine Forest , Kiefer and Liotta ! SOMDVD
April 6, 2015
A melodramatic comedy....ouch.
½ September 18, 2014
A powerful message given but not adhered by many - it's a pity !
½ August 12, 2014
really enjoy this movie, have seen it several times.
½ February 8, 2014
Article 99 (Howard Deutch, 1991)
[originally posted 18Jun2001]

Here's an interesting concept. Take a director whose career is rapidly fading, give him a star whose career is rapidly fading, and stock his film with rising stars. Think you can come up with a saleable product?

You can if you're Howard Deutch (Pretty in Pink) and Kiefer Sutherland (The Lost Boys). Article 99 was the last good film Sutherland made before the dry spell that ended with Dark City; Deutch is still looking for a comeback film. Sutherland is surrounded by then-rising stars who have since become household names, including Ray Liotta (fresh off the success of Goodfellas), Kathy Baker (a year before Picket Fences), Keith David (still best known for playing Childs in Carpenter's 1982 remake of The Thing), and Lynne Thigpen (who, come to think of it, still hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves). Put the lot of them in a VA hospital, as (all except David, who plays a sociopathic-but-likable Vietnam vet) they try to cut through all the red tape and just do their jobs, while the hospital's administrator (John Mahoney, now known as Frasier's dad) tries to hamstring them at every turn. It doesn't sound like a recipe for the kind of comedy Deutch is used to directing, but somehow it all works, with the doctors and the administration battling it out until things go just one step too far, as they usually do in movies. And it still could have fallen flat on its face if not for the very last scene, as the end credits begin rolling. It's a feel-good movie that doesn't allow you to feel good. Now THAT'S an accomplishment. *** 1/2
August 7, 2013
Wants to be sassy while indicting the terrible state of VA hospitals. Comes off as preachy and pandering.
½ July 29, 2013
I thought it was great when I first saw it. Lea Thompson has always been one of my favorite actresses, and Danny Elfman has been my all-time favorite film composer. I enjoyed the entire movie, especially with their performances and their character developments. The story doesn't dwell on the comedy but focuses mainly on the drama because of its unique story.
½ July 29, 2013
½ June 30, 2013
As a Gulf War Veteran who has tolerated enough crap from the Department of Veteran Affairs to last me five life times this movie nails the subject between the ears as it should be addressed. Those civilians who have never had to go through the most insane level of bullshit known to mankind have not a clue what the Veteran community tolerates as it pertains to acquiring services due the sacrifices we have made.

This movie clearly represents the obfuscation, misinformation, lies, denial of services, and the withholding of information that those in charge of the VA tell the practitioners along with other employees to do. Very few times in life are there men and women who see all of the information, see the connections, see the injustice, only to take a step forward to put those in charge on their butt. These rare and rather heroic people stand up against the corruption as those who get the job done. Should you doubt what I am saying visit any VA Medical Center or federal office building where claims are filed in order to speak first hand to those who are in the middle of fighting for necessary services. Furthermore maybe, just maybe you can elaborate on why this movie was released in the shortest time frame only to be rushed through the country as quick as possible. As we certainly do not want to show "Any" government entity in a bad light...

May God have mercy on the souls of those who delay, deny, and expect us to die as I along with many others shall have no mercy and give no quarter to such rats.
March 4, 2013
This movie is great!!!
January 28, 2013
This film is a very insistent reminder of what we owe to the men and women who fought our country's battles, laying their lives on the line for us all for very little pay. The very least we owe them is what they were promised--that their country would take care of their health. I thought this film was well acted and made a very important point, one that needs to be reiterated again and again.
July 10, 2012
Outstanding cast, highly controversial topic especially in todays political climate. As an employee of the NHS this film rang true on many levels! Bravo, thoroughly enjoyable.
½ April 19, 2012
Movie has it's heart in the right place, but the execution is sort of all over the place. Star studded cast.
December 6, 2011
Great movie, although it does get a little far left for me. Still, with Kiefer Sutherland and Ray Liotta, even if you don't want the preaching, you can still hit mute and have a great movie!
½ July 15, 2010
Kiefer Sutherland and Ray Liotta fixing people that the government want to forget about, throw in Keith David in a wheelchair and you got a decent film. Is it awesome, no, but is it good, yeah, and that is enough, plus it is pretty funny in parts, cause mistreated vets are histarical, I guess.
½ January 30, 2010
A serious issue, but a very good film... I am somehow convinced that the story is still the same almost 20 years after the film was made, so an eye opener as well as confirming what is wrong with the way hospitals are run when it is all about profit.
½ December 8, 2009
A not-too-bad movie about rebellious VA doctors fighting a broken system to try and treat those who served our country. Danny Elfman did the soundtrack, the cast was stacked, and it did a good job or walking the line between drama and comedy with serious parts and some good verbal sparring and comic relief scenes. There could have been more to it...especially the ending, but it was a solid use of 100 or so minutes.
November 29, 2009
Gracias a esta buena movie el IMSS perdio su credibilidad, desde entonces yo me curo con remedios caseros que saco de internet!
Odio la burocracia en todas sus ramas!!