Arumdabda (Beautiful) Reviews

• steve c Super Reviewer
    Mar 30, 2010

kim ki-duk has always been hit & miss for me and this was a miss. the pitfalls of beauty and unwanted admirers aren't concepts i relate to. the final scene in the morgue was disturbing.

• Mar 28, 2010

another kim ki-duk story ! performances r good inough u know ... in my country execution is what is waiting 4 a rapist . & i believe this is a good judgement . i guess nothing can calm a raped women more than this . in this movie the girl is cursed by her beauty & raped by a fan ! so she went crazy to distroy her beauty , & after she did so , she had became more upset by being not an atractive beauty anymore ... then she become delutional by seeng her rapist & ....

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Mar 12, 2010

Disturbing, but interesting movie about how a woman's life is spoiled by her beauty. Just about every man she encounters become obsessed with her in really weird and twisted ways, and after she is attacked by the boyfriend of her best friend, (who does not believe that she has not encouraged the attention and turns on her), her life goes into a downward spiral as she tries to make herself unattractive so she can be left alone. Tragedy follows. Korea really does seem to come out with good stories and interesting takes on things. It is not a very moving story as you never get to know the main character all that well, apart from as a beautiful girl, and she doesn't seem to do much or have any back story at all,but perhaps that is the point, after all, nor do the men get to know her either. She is just a figure to project their fantasies onto, and therefore whatever they want her to be.

• Feb 09, 2010

this movie deserves just a star due to its story that i loved but nor the performance nor the making i like ...i really expected much more than this :(

• Aug 02, 2009

Beauty is a dangerous force.

Beauty is a dangerous force.

• Luke B Super Reviewer
    Feb 07, 2009

Despite only the story being by Kim Ki-duk this feels exactly like one of his works. The poetic license on real life in order to represent emotions and events. Beautiful shows us the danger of beauty and how it can be a curse. Eun-young is a great character, a woman that isn't vain or selfish, but is constantly tested in how far she can be pushed. It's a bizarre romance that sees men fall in love with her beauty. As madness seeps in only one man stands by Eun-young, though even he is blinded by her beauty and loses control over his actions. This is the first full length film of Juhn Jaihong and with the links to Kim it is hard to recognise a distinct voice. Still, it is very exciting to see where their career goes from here.

• Jan 29, 2009

cha su-yeon is one of THE HOTTEST, eminently talented actresses ever in the tribulations of the most desired fe- male. however, the story is one-sided offering some un- real gender representations and side-characters. tragic.

• Nov 18, 2008

A seriously sad and depressing movie.... not one you should watch when you're down. Beautiful acting esp by the actress. Storyline is a bit exaggerated, though. It's sad to see how the movie is potraying every single guy as a beast.... which I believe isn't true!

• Nov 15, 2008

As always I was really looking forward to a new movie made by Kim Ki-duk. But his latest movies has not really been as good as earlier ones. Good movie, but not as great as I hoped for.

• Nov 13, 2008

One of the reasons I like this movie is because it is such a contrast to other films where beauty is seen as something to be desired. I think it’s particularly important for women to watch this film because it raises some interesting points about beauty and the never ending quest to be beautiful. Furthmore, it also brings up some important questions about how society views women. For those interested, this film is available on Crunchy Roll with English subs.