So weit die Fe tragen (As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

So weit die Fe tragen (As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me) Reviews

October 12, 2014
Fine story of post-war adversity and finely told despite a fairly low budget.
January 6, 2013
Solid movie. It seems to drag on a bit, but the ending is rewarding. As I watched the beginning I felt like "deja vu," then I realized I had started the movie before, but fallen asleep. By the end of the film, you realize that it was worth the wait.
June 12, 2012
good german movie about POW's escapong by foot from siberia
February 15, 2012
Excellent film,.It kind of reminded me of CALL OF THE WILD,.Musta been the terrain or the great amount of people he meets on his journey,,..Well acted,.Good characters,.Good direction,.The lead was excellent,.I just recommend it if you have any interest in the period and strife it took to do the things this guy did,.Much better than a similar movie called "The Way Back" with Jim Sturgess and Colin Farell,.I guess it helped that this was in German and Russian,.I like subtitles and listening to the REAL language that was spoken, makes it feel much more authentic than fake accents do.
February 10, 2012
A large scale adventure following one man on a three year journey through 8000 miles of rough terrain. Even though it centers on the plight of a WWII German soldier, this is a universal tale of survival against insurmountable odds.
December 13, 2011
Melodrama at its best.
½ November 12, 2011
Clemons Forell's story about escaping a Russian prisoner camp and surviving a 3 year journey by foot in the frozen tundra and wilderness, is simply amazing.
September 4, 2011
Tarina kotiinpaluusta omaa jotain kiehtovuutta. Siinä on todellinen päämäärä joka herättää kaikissa kaipuuta ja kun matkalla on enemmän kuin yksi este edessä on se vain kiinnostavampi
August 19, 2011
It's a nice movie! Although I hv to spend a long time to watch it, I love the story also!! It told me the life is so terrible, but we hard work, fright to the life, finally we will c our bright future.
½ August 17, 2011
---------- extremely tough beginning, but it works out nicely in the end .
½ August 13, 2011
A German World War II prisoner of war escapes a Soviet Siberian Gulag camp, and walks 8000 miles to freedom and to be united with this family again. Quite well done. Not sure how where the movie was shot, but you get the feel of a very diverse - geographically and culturally - Russian land. Touching end, and available on Netflix.
½ July 12, 2011
How is it that I have never heard of this movie ! I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it, that is rare for me, I tend to be so critical. Generally I complain when a movie runs over 2 hours, I was surprised that this one was so long and I did not notice the long run time. A truly inspiring true story. I have seen many many WW2 movies this one is top notch
July 8, 2011
Excellent movie. Highly recommend. Wasn't expecting much when I decided to watch it, but I was very surprised. I remember hearing this story referenced in other documentaries and survival shows, but didn't know the story. Again, this is only based on the true events, but helps put the reference into perspective.
June 30, 2011
This movie is absolutely brilliant, a German film based on true story. Reminded me of Touching The Void.
½ June 4, 2011
Terrific true survival story about one of the many German soldiers sent to Siberia after World War II. Years pass without hope of release. Finally he gets his chance to escape across Siberia and the vast Russian tundra and return to his wife and children in Germany. Very well done story if you can get past the mawkish opening scene.
½ April 25, 2011
I like alternative perspectives, but there are number of controversies I would like to note. To start with whitewashing of why and how Forell went to war- the East front was very brutal and not just SS but whole Wermacht was involved in the most horrible attrocities, while we are given picture of good father defending his country, while his family and whole village long for him. Then Russians are sort of oriental Germans, a bit wild but very effective in all their evil doings, I also can't imagine that somebody would allow Kamenev to hunt his German from Siberia to Uzbekistan - the Soviet Union simply did not work this way. Solzhenitsin gave much more accurate picture of Gulag system.
April 9, 2011
Precision and Resilience is in their blood
½ April 6, 2011
That movie was one of the best movies i have ever seen. it had a very touching ending that made me cry.
March 21, 2011
There's an awful lot more going on in this film than you might expect. When the central character escapes the Russian prison camp in Siberia, you don't really expect to see him engaged in the various encounters that are written into the script--some are a little hard to believe. Otherwise, the story is pretty solid, based on actual events apparently. It is a little grisly like "Papillon" and you'll see some similarities with "Little big Man" and "Dances with Wolves" but ultimately, it stands on its own with the bleakness of the backdrop and the mix of cultures and languages.
February 28, 2011
This would be a great movie without the phony Soviet officer's personal chase after the protagonist.