Ashes in the Snow Reviews

• Jul 24, 2019

Does not live up to the book it's based on but it is a good movie. A lot of important characters are left out though.

• Jul 09, 2019

This is a decent movie. Any movie that details communist crimes is good in my view because there aren't a lot of these types of films.

• Jul 03, 2019

If you read the (highly recommended) novel that was made into this movie, (originally called Between Shades of Grey,) and enjoyed that novel, DO NOT watch this movie. It was missing some key parts or characters included in the book, ones that really brought the plot together. All-in-all this movie was really hard to understand, and if I hadn't read the book before, I wouldn't have had A CLUE about what was going on, and would've fallen asleep within the first five minutes. Really, though, the plot was all over the place! There was also barely any dialogue, and if there was, the actors sounded more like shy fifth graders forced to perform in front of an audience; quiet, and mumbling most of the time. Also, a personal thing that irritated me in this movie was how they portrayed Kretzky as a villain. Kretzky was my favorite in the book, but if I ever told my friends that he was my favorite after watching this movie with them, all I'd get is a weird look. He was a great guy in the novel, trust me! If you haven't read the book yet and did not enjoy the movie, please give the book a chance, it really is great, and far better than this sorry excuse for a movie.

• Jun 14, 2019

Well done representation of Stalin's brutality.

Well done representation of Stalin's brutality.

• Feb 22, 2019

Beautiful story about hope even in the midst of total destruction in all levels

Beautiful story about hope even in the midst of total destruction in all levels

• Feb 17, 2019

Nice to remind the world that Communism wasnt all that great ether. Felt like there was more to this story and that something was missing. Good cast.

• Feb 08, 2019

Probably quite accurate, but falls prey to propaganda-by-omission syndrome I just don't understand how you can make a film like this in good conscience and not mention pertinent nuances like the following: 1) As most of these events are unfolding, Lithuania is THE most Holocaust complicit country - of ALL countries occupied by the Nazis (including even Germany itself)! As stated in Wikipedia's "the Holocaust in Lithuania" entry: "More than 95% of Lithuania's Jewish population was massacred over the three-year German occupation - A MORE COMPLETE DESTRUCTION THAN BEFELL ANY OTHER COUNTRY AFFECTED BY THE HOLOCAUST. Historians attribute this to the MASSIVE COLLABORATION IN THE GENOCIDE BY THE NON-JEWISH LOCAL PARAMILITARIES, though the reasons for this collaboration are still debated." 2) Likewise as most of these events are taking place, Russia is having more of its people slaughtered by the Nazis than any other country. 3) Stalin and his forces did the same or worse to regular old Russians in the same timespan mentioned at the end of the film. 4) Many other countries participate in occupational tyranny throughout history (and right now). I understand that this film is about a particular incident and I have no problem with that, but it wouldn't take much effort to also note, for example, that the US currently provides military support to 73% of the world's dictatorships. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTRcZalb4I Like the Yemeni genocide currently perpetrated by US ally Saudi Arabia (see 2018 Guardian article "When will America stop participating in Yemen's genocidal war?") Again, Russia/Soviet-Union is certainly no angel and films about this should be made, but it doesn't take much effort to acknowledge such nuances. While without their added depth, even this, again, probably-fairly-accurate portrayal - smells too much of propaganda. Especially when it's release so closely follows Russia-gate, which is most likely to itself largely constitute a distraction. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHS3SCG6d8&time_continue=1

• Jan 30, 2019

I felt the storyline was good and captures peoples heart however I feel the ending could have been extended. There was no true ending and this could have been improved. Worth a watch

• Jan 24, 2019

In 1941, sixteen year-old Lithuanian girl Lina (Bel Powley) receives a letter from a prestigious art school. She is a talented artist who is passionate about drawing and is excited to find out if she is accepted but she wants to wait for her father to come home so she can open the letter with him. Her father never came home that night. The Soviet Union soldiers did. And her life was never the same. Ashes in the Snow, adapted from the novel Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys, is set during the Soviet invasion of Northern Europe during World War 2- shining a spotlight on a subject that has been overshadowed in history unfortunately because of the atrocities of Nazi Germany happening at the same time. The film does not present much geopolitical discussion of the war and the different nations involved, rather the story is told from the perspective of the innocent people who were forced from their homes and enslaved. For the purposes of this story, all we need to know about the Soviets are that they are evil, there are some brutal scenes in this film that are hard to watch and other scenes- like watching children being ripped apart from their families- hits a little too close to home considering recent events. The film does a good job of keeping the audience invested in the story with nice set design and solid acting. Martin Wallström is superb as Kretzsky, a conflicted soldier and tortured soul who knows what he is doing is wrong but must balance this with the need to keep up appearances to ensure his own survival. But the major weakness of this film concerns the protagonist, Lina. While her character-technically- gets what you can consider a happy ending at the end of this story, it is by no fault of her own. There are a lot of dark moments in this film which you think would set up the opportunity for the hero to fight back and eventually overcome her oppressors. This doesnâ(TM)t happen, which turns what could have been an inspirational story into a dull and boring one. Unless you have an interest in the historical subject presented in this movie- itâ(TM)s not worth watching.

• Jan 22, 2019

Good movie to reveal people's sufferings from small nations of the Baltics. Focus has been on Hitler's deed for a long time but not on Stalin's.