Ashes of Time Redux - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ashes of Time Redux Reviews

March 20, 2016
Wong Kar-wai can make beautiful films and also thick, slow, sticky films and I went in being sure this would disappoint me. And at the start it did, it was so slow, so bizarre, but it has a consistency (and some gorgeous fight scenes) that pulls you in and keeps you. A person wants to be with another person but can't be. That's a pretty simple theme to make an entire career out of and this film takes a good hard look at it from a couple of male-centric angles. Give it a go aye.
½ November 20, 2015
Demasiado dura de ver
April 10, 2015
A chinese swordsman is afraid to love a princess in this dark romantic supernatural epic adventure beautifully filmed by director Wong Kar Wai. Christopher Doyle's cinematography is amazing, as usual.
November 16, 2014
With painterly-like shots and pensive narration, Wong Kar-wai succeeded to create a visual poetry in a form of moving picture. Sadly, the audio parts is not properly done and the flow of narrative is actually hard to follow. When all is said and done, it is a refreshing interpretation of Jin Yong's Condor Trilogy lore and characters.
½ August 24, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Before discussing the film, I just want to state to whoever is reading this that my opinion here is purely based on what I have just seen, I have no previous experience of the Wong Kar Wai's filmography and the 1994 original release of the film.

Ashes of Time follows a number of random stories that revolve around a contract hit-man who lives in the desert in isolation. The film started off weak, following a character that lacked any explanation or exploration on why I should care, but as the film progressed, details emerged and eventually I found myself engaged with what was happening on screen. I cannot say, even with its revealing conclusion, that I comprehensively understood what was happening on screen as the director narrates and connects the film's stories in a slightly disjointed and jarring way. Though disorientated, I was still able to appreciate the superficial narrative and the exchanges in dialogue between the characters on screen. By the time the film reaches the second chapter, the stories being told started to become more fascinating and since the fundamentals of the protagonist has already been established during the first chapter, I didn't need to try so hard in understanding his purpose or find something to empathise with. The arrival of the blind-swordsman and the helpless woman certainly gave the film the entertainment value that was lacking in the preceding story, and at the same time provided the audience further shades of the protagonist, even if the story barely concerns him. It is during the final chapter of the film where I started to realise the value of the film's first act. The film started to make more sense and has intrigued me in wanted to come back in order to further understand the character and the director's thematic intentions. One thing I want to mention before concluding is the film's photography. I have read that this version of the film features a different colour palette from the original. Since I have yet to see the initial release, I cannot contrast the two styles, but what I can say is that I was satisfied with the film's imagery. Though there were a couple moments where it pushed the saturation to a point of feeling like pure fantasy, it did provide the film with an original flavour that prevented it from feeling dull and lifeless.

Starting with the redux release may not be the optimal decision but it was either this or not watch a Wong Kar Wai film at all, as this was the only film available from him in my local library. The film features a complex story that proves to be rewarding if one is patient and willing to see it again.
June 6, 2014
A highly poetic film noir period piece. The Redux version is twice as good as the original failed, partially uninspired version. This version makes sense, though it still needs a 2nd viewing to understand what you're seeing which is good and bad.

Beautifully shot by Chris Doyle, the great cast doesn't have a lot to do - everyone's the same (brooding on their complicated past). There's so little in the way of plot that there's no movie if it wasn't for keeping your brain searching for what the characters' relationships are (which either is fun to you or it sucks) and of course the jaw-dropping visuals and haunting mood.

That's why its great strength is also its weakness. This is a poem accompanied by pictures, not a movie! That's why it's so beautiful yet not very good.

It's like Chen Kaige's "Emperor and the Assassin" without the epicness - in fact the landscape is the star of this movie - there's only a few actors with a few lines each with the exception of the narrator. Or it's like Zhang Yimou's Hero with the fight scenes deleted. Make of that what you will. It's beautiful to me regardless. It's kind of pretentious to blur out the one action scene (by Sammo Hung) just to not have this movie be about action in any way, but that's also a gutsy statement. This is a poem, not yet another cheezy kung fu dramedy.

So in the end it's a slow, meditative, forlorn but at times intoxicating film in a desert atmosphere which is the right setting for these dried up characters. On your second viewing, especially if you get a little high, anyone will fall deep inside it, particularly if you've ghosts in your love life past.

If they cut this down to an hour and 13 minutes it would be the best 73 minute movie ever, but this version is 93... Still, I hated the original cut and this one kept me pretty mesmerized.

It's a controversial, memorable film that is more note-worthy in 90s film history than a lot of other more traditional and enjoyable flicks. That's interesting in and of itself.
May 30, 2014
It was beautiful to watch, but speaking as a massive fan of Wuxia films. There are far, far better films in the genre. Coming from Kar Wai I would have expected something a bit better, even if it does have a handful of merits.
May 13, 2014
Wong Kar Wai can make a movie about anything and I will watch it with full undivided attention.
May 13, 2014
I'm a sucker for wuxia and kung fu films in general. If it comes to my hometown, I'll probably go see it.
ehh. . . . no thanks
May 13, 2014
Hmm... another crazy depressing Chinese swordfighting movie. I have been disappointed by the last 2 or 3 I saw, but maybe this one will be better?
May 13, 2014
I won't seek it out, but I'd see it.
May 13, 2014
This looked good from the cover, and looked to be decently filmed in the 30 minutes I saw of it, yet I was so bored that it was literally putting me to sleep, so I gave up, who knows, maybe a 31 minutes it becomes awesome, but I doubt it and am fine not seeing anymore to find out.
May 13, 2014
Unless I hear many good things I am going to pass on this one,
½ May 13, 2014
Just a genius and highly complex story about honor and a bit revenge, beautifully filmed in a fictional-formed china!
½ May 13, 2014
This is the best film set in desert ever, and also Wong Kar Wai at his peak.
The story telling is extrodinary. The cinematography by Christopher Doyle, exquisite!
Finally, the complex relationships among the characters is the real romance, happy-ever-after isn't.
½ May 13, 2014
Story is unimportant. But seeing Brigitte Lin, Carina Lau, Maggie Cheung in the same film is nirvana.
½ May 13, 2014
When it comes to reviewing Wong Kar Wai's films I hv alwz found myself at loss of words. How to describe them?..Thay hardly hv any plot...They are more like feelings which can only be captured visually and with him Cinema is a visual experience in truest of senses.

Though Ashes of Time is a movie abt swordsmen, it hardly has any characteristic flavors. Even the few action scenes here & there are shot in a way that gives you a blurred vision metaphorically representing vague, muddled thought process of characters themselves. Wai provides more attention to the frame he creates rather than action it encapsulates and when it comes to frames almost every frame is like a painting here. Vivid colors blends beautifully with desolation of deserts and even characters seems to be inebriated by the atmosphere he creates. In fact characters thrown in the set up carry same recurring notion of alienation & unrequited love that dominated his "loose trilogy". The same conflict with memory & longings within.

"People say, when you can't have what you want, the best you can do is not to forget."......Ashes of Time might be difficult to describe but it lingers,it haunts & it is impossible to forget!!....
½ May 13, 2014
Probably the best Wuxia ever made. Visually stunning and amazingly deep, I found this film both enjoyable and beautifully conceived. It has instantly become on of my all time favourites!