Ashura-j no hitomi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ashura-j no hitomi Reviews

½ December 30, 2015
Bizarre film. The main character acts like he's in a comedy and the main heavy seems to have come out of an '80s hair band. Overall it had too much incomprehensible action and not enough plot.
November 1, 2012
Kabuki... cheesy, action packed love story with glowing green demon goo awesomeness.
April 22, 2012
Some cheesy graphics, but overall a good movie. Some of the images are beautiful, and it doesn't hurt to have a handsome lead actor, either ;)
March 25, 2012
Izumo... Your blood was... delicious...
February 1, 2012
You know, at first the action was kinda lame but then as it kept going it was pretty damn good. I enjoyed this alot, and the comedy I got about half way in. Decent watch.
July 30, 2011
Sure, the free-wheeling action finally spins out of control in the final third, as the story's holes get bigger and the acting strays too far into theatrical histrionics. But let's not take too seriously that which is not meant to be taken too seriously.
June 6, 2011
Glossy, campy and outrageous melo-comedy as we like it, with a hint of pop/traditional Japanese theatre, more than a measure of anime style and a devilish lot of dirty, pardon, sexual allusions: delightfully kabu-kitsh.
½ January 29, 2011
Pretty good story, and the visuals were good . . . the only problem I have is that some of the special effects were kind of campy. The green teeth on the demons comes to mind . . .
December 20, 2010
Chop socky with a tragic love story included, and some cheesy digital visuals.
November 15, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie. Nice action scenes, magical powers, It slows down but the story is nice, if your into subtitles. Im a big fan of japanese films
August 21, 2010
Strange film, but interesting. I like some of the aesthetics, though it is very digital and not solid enough to create an realistic illusion. The plot was not bad, there were interesting twists and connections, but it was very male dominated- ashura really was a victim to this man's whims. I'm not sure if I liked the music much either. The story for me was the strong point.
August 6, 2010
Very good movie...Love it!
½ July 8, 2010
It had beauty, comedy and story, yet it was a bit long winded and the CGI does work against the film at times.
½ May 3, 2010
As I watch more and more Japanese films of this type, I begin to understand and appreciate them. Ashura and films like it try to have an "all inclusive" storyline. Which means the film has action, love, humor and serious parts regardless if its necessary. At first, the style felt awkward to almost "cheesy" compared to American films but now I realize, its just the way Japanese films are made.

So taking into account the above, Ashura does not disappoint. The film had martial arts action, imagery, a love story, magic, and comedy all rolled into one. However, the rhythm of the film was uneven at times and occasionally felt somewhat long and drawn out. Still, the actors performed well and helped carry the film till the end. I continue to find myself liking Rie Miyazawa (since Twilight Samurai) and consider her a pretty decent actress. As for the other actors, I did not recognize any of them but still found them adequate.

In all, Ashura was an entertaining supernatural action movie. While I still found some of the special effects "cheesy" or low budget, the overall movie was decently made. Recommended for rental if you like this genre of film or just enjoy watching artistic looking costumes and scenes.
½ March 7, 2010
KABUKI ACTOR YOKO KANNO OST HOTNESSSSS OH MY GOD
December 20, 2009
An OKish movie based on a 16th century play. The acting isn't particularly good and the special effects is quite bad at times but saying that the setting and the costumes is great. A couple of nice swordfights too. Average.
½ October 13, 2009
The action scenes are rather manga-styled (in fact I suppose you could extend that to the entire film) and I found them visually interesting. The ending made me cry.
½ March 5, 2009
Helps to have a minimal familiarity with era and Kabuki going in I think. But minimal is enough. Interesting similarities with another adaptation of a Kazuki Nakashima play, the TV show Oh Edo Rocket. Both feature entertainers with secret skills, Men In Black and villains who fall in love with the wrong women. Not to mention meta-textual riffs where characters want to make a play about the story that's happening around them.
½ February 11, 2009
Interesting story but probably not the best execution.