Ashura-j no hitomi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ashura-j no hitomi Reviews

December 28, 2008
Great adaptation of a Kabuki play set in a nice little fantasy world. Some people don't get the Kabuki stuff, but I think this is a good introduction to it.
November 8, 2008
was ok, like the fantasy bits the best (mixed with stunning scenes with crappy effects at times but when they get it right, they get it right) and the story is cute..didnt really get the hang of Izumo...he's abit weird...
September 14, 2008
An OKish movie based on a 16th century play. The acting isn't particularly good and the special effects is quite bad at times but saying that the setting and the costumes is great. A couple of nice swordfights too. Average.
½ July 6, 2008
I enjoyed watching the action and scenery more than I enjoyed the actual acting/plotline.
July 1, 2008
This movie is astounding. Spectacularly shot, intelligently written, intricately woven, six stars in every category. Ok, the flourescent demon blood was a bit over the top, but the rest of the movie was so amazing, that bit was easily forgiven.

Some reviews say the movie is too "Japanese" but I disagree. This is the high-opera of kabuki come alive in a lucid dream state, this is the love story, tragic and deeply romantic. If anything, after this film the weird stylistic exaggerations of kabuki are now LESS mysterious to me, because I have seen it translated into a frame I could grasp, and, like our western opera, I seen now that it is not really Japanese, but universal.
½ June 15, 2008
The film was beautiful. It had vibrant scenery, and was very colorful to look at. It also had a good musical score. The acting and story however, were not the greatest. This movie is probably only for those who enjoy fantasy or Japanese culture.
May 26, 2008
At first I thought I looked like a T.V. movie but then I got into the story and found it very interesting and there are some impressive shots.
½ May 13, 2008
the CG is on the cheesy side. the choreography isn't amazing, but it's good. the dialogue is often very funny and the actors do a great job. i think the playwright was hilarious.
January 18, 2008
Good story, good filming, good music
December 24, 2007
The CG and plot was weak, but I was entertained enough. The comedy and acting ain't bad either. I'd recommend this movie if you're bored and want something fun to watch to kill time.
½ November 12, 2007
Not too bad of a movie if you look at it as a well preserved play now modernized for film. The CG and the choreography could have used a little work but the costumes definitely made up for it. The love story about characters with opposing agendas was interesting and some of the set designs were AMAZING! Good movie it you like the fantasy genre.
½ November 8, 2007
No, not very good :) It's amazing what crap they put out there for suckers like me to rent...
November 6, 2007
Somegoro Ichikawa was so beautiful in his role.
½ October 29, 2007
Hmmm... lame and boring. Need a better directing.
October 28, 2007
October 14, 2007
This movie left an imprint in my mind up to this day. It's full of magical stories and beautiful, breathe taking sceneries and costumes. I truly love this movie.
October 9, 2007
Delicious. The sex scene was HOT. There is nothing this movie can't do.
October 9, 2007
Really enjoyed the movie...a real hidden gem...wish I can find this elusive DVD one day...
August 30, 2007
A great film. Just watch it and see why. Sad ending though
August 22, 2007