Ask the Dust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ask the Dust Reviews

September 12, 2011
Interesting, but mostly forgettable. Hayek and Farrell both do an admirable job portraying a pained courtship of mutual affection but open hostility. Neither one wants to be the "nice guy", but they also feel frustrated with why they treat each other so poorly considering their obvious affections.

Los Angeles during the Great Depression is fascinating and well done. I find the economics also enjoyable, where a nickel buys a cup of coffee, and rent is $10 a month. If nothing else, the movie gives us a clear glimpse of what things might have been like in that era.

I don't think the chemistry between the two was quite right... the sparring sure fit, but it never felt like a smoldering going on behind those mean words. Perhaps Hayek has too strong of a sex appeal and simply outmatches Colin.... dunno, that's one for the ladies to answer.

This should have some appeal to writers and romantics, but it's a slow starter and nothing earth shattering. Quaking, yes... but not shattering. (Inside movie joke)
September 6, 2011
ask the dust is one of my favourite book. but the movie.. not good, actually sucks. anyway it was good to see salma's boobs..
½ September 1, 2011
Love isn't romantic fantasies but hard choices about how to live with one another. Soul mates are stuck to each other and can be conflicting, so you have to work to understand what is really important. People won't like this movie because the source is more truthful than romantic, and only tragic if you don't know that what has to be said and created in single moments is what matters.
April 10, 2011
sevdim mi yoksa sevmedim mi kararsız kaldım...
April 3, 2011
Words cannot describe how much of the novel is lost in this film. Granted it is one of my favorite books but I beleive this movie would suck even if you aren't familiar with Fante
January 4, 2011
With those two, this movie should have been amazing
December 11, 2010
I think the novel was much better
December 8, 2010
Wow. Very boring, and no chemistry between Hayek and Farrell. A disappointment to say the least.
½ October 4, 2010
I my, I had actually pretty low ecpectations from this, but it turned out very well. I love Salma, she's so amazing .....
½ September 25, 2010
Ebben az unalmas vacakban sikerult minden alkotonak a legrosszabb formajat hoznia.
½ September 24, 2010
For Fans Of: Seeing Salma Hayek naked I guess
Date Night: Nope
Art Factor: Low
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: Low
Intelligence Required: None
Essential Viewing: No

Pretty bad movie. It looks good and Salma Hayek gets naked. Thos are the only two decent things I can write about this flick. I love Colin Ferrell but he was horrible and so was the part. Hayek is busty and mexican as ever. Ummmm, yep, this one was shit. Boring and tried really hard to be deep.
½ September 18, 2010
The only good thing about this movie is Idina Menzel's character.
August 27, 2010
Yaaay, Hayek manages to be annoying, once again.
July 17, 2010
Starts good, loses focus.
June 2, 2010
Poor adaptation of an overrated book.
April 11, 2010
This is a bad movie, plain and simple. It's slow, boring, and pointless. It is not romantic, and the only part I enjoyed was Idina Menzel's performance as Vera Rivkin. Even if I were not a raging Idina fan, I would say the same thing. She dominated the screen when she came on, but with the other actors looking as if they don't care, that is not hard to do.
April 11, 2010
a gritty movie with good performances from salma and colin. it is a bit boring in some parts but overrall a good movie.
April 5, 2010
salma hayek baring all is enough reason to watch this movie!
March 27, 2010
I loved the book and look forward to seeing how it was adapted, though I have a feeling I'm gonna be disappointed.
January 23, 2010
An interesting film. A film where there was more rehearsing than usual so says Salm Hayek. Her character in the book is less that in the script. So she said she would only read the book after the film was made. Colin read the book many times. With all the rehearsing, they did this film well. They are so creative that the result was quiet and interesting film, a moving film, an emotional one, set in America in the 1930s when times were tough with a recession.