The Asphyx - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Asphyx Reviews

½ July 29, 2015
Here is a film that deserves to be better known. A scientist discovers the key to immortality by capturing one's asphyx - an element that each person has and which appears only at the moment of their death. I would have chosen the electo-shock method to capturing my asphyx over the ill-advised guillotine experiment used on Dr. Stephens' daughter.
April 9, 2015
Thriller has scientist unlocking the key to immortality by trapping a person's 'Asphyx' or soul at the moment of death. Hard lessons learned for the man who is punished by guilt for an eternity for playing God. Credit should be given to the characters for choosing rather chilling modes of death such as a guillotining in the immortality process. Inventive British horror with good ending.
February 28, 2015
Curious horror/sci-fi from 1973. Another low budget British production that has mediocre reviews and a small cult following.
Mainly set in the 1870s the film follows a 'scientist' (not very Emmett Brown) macabre experiments with the human soul in his quest for immortality. (Dont ask it took me three viewings to understand although it is easier to understand after a few hours sleep.)
The psychic scientist, Sir Hugo Cunningham has 3 close children who tragically die one by one in the course of his work.
In the end Sir Hugo and a poor hamster are the only immortalised subjects. The film cuts to the modern day (well 1973!) and we see Sir Hugo as a deformed being the actor wearing some fancy dress mask clutching the hamster as he perambles round the city street like a tramp.
The film has being restored for home video to its original cinematic ratio with HD quality restoration. Why can't all these old films be restored?
I only recognised one cast member, Robert Powell who played senior nurse Williams on Holby City a few years ago.
½ February 23, 2015
British 1970s horror imitating the Hammer films style. It succeeds very well in doing this. I found this film to be creepy with a great atmospheric mood, key ingredients of a good horror.
½ September 29, 2014
I saw this flick on Amazon Prime. There was a warning at the begining noting that this film was a mix of HD from the original negatives an SD from a US version. To say the least the switch mid scene was often times jaring but once I got used to that I got to see a silly little sci fi horror film. It felt like an over extended version of a twilight zone episode and after the 45 min mark the film takes a dive. That being said it was still interesting and if you can catch it on your streaming service of choose its worth a watch.
July 20, 2014
I am pretty sure that this had to be one of the influences to Ghostbusters.
October 31, 2013
I went to see this movie while in japan at yakota afb. Great idea. Scientist notes the shadow over pictures of patients close to death. Called them the asphyx. Traps them and you are immortal. The ending is a lesson in iife.
April 12, 2013
One of the most tragic horror films I have ever seen. It is disturbing but at the same time fascinating. A scientist discovers that at the time of death a strange creature, the Asphyx, arrives to deliver the final blow and if this creature can be captured then the subject will become immortal. The sad consequences of his research destroy all he loves and the ending is one of the most ironic endings I have ever seen. If you don't want to be haunted by this very unique movie the way I am, then don't watch it.
April 6, 2013
What an awesome concept for a movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
March 10, 2013
"The smudge!"-Sir Hugo Cunningham (Robert Stephens)

Possibly, influenced those responsible for GHOSTBUSTERS.
½ May 8, 2012
A fun movie concept that suffers from a lack of technology to pull it off convincingly. The effects of the Asphyx itself is interesting for a simple camera trick and at times is surprisingly effective. The plot is just a bit too thin to support the running length and the ending rather unsatisfyingly functional. Fun as a curio 70's mad scientist flick.
April 19, 2012
Gothic horror piece about the price of immortality!!
September 17, 2011
Read about the story and the ending, this sounds awesome!
April 9, 2011
Unusual and a rather ingenious little film, one of the lesser recognized efforts to emerge towards the latter days of the Hammer-inspired Anglo-horror cycle that ran from 1957 until around 1976. It benefits hugely from a nicely realized sense of period atmosphere, which is economically conveyed on a medium-range budget. Robert Stephens and the rest of the cast convince withthe exception of the usually unimpressive Robert Powell.
January 26, 2011
After a hard diet of some of the most grotesque and gruesome horror flicks I could find (everything from the old video nasties to J-snuff shit like the Guinea Pig series, August Underground trash and the new French extreme) this was a surprising and refreshing change of pace for me. It was intelligent and well developed story. For me the style was very reminiscent of the old gothic thrillers of the same era including Black Sabbath and Mask of Death or the original Wicker was dark, alluring, and obscure (the asphyx, a personal spirit of death that manifests at the moment before death? a wandering immortal much like the "eternal jew" forever lamenting the misdeeds of his life? a man trying desperate measures to preserve his family after a horrific accident he feels responsible for? An amalgamation of classic themes that come together in rare form with emergent properties that surpass their individual sum.). For me the subject material hit on subtle and scary themes that most modern fare seems to glaze over with gore. It was terrifying in it's memento mori effect, much like the original Frankenstein story. I really enjoyed this film on a number of levels and I personally believe it to be among the best of its generation. A hidden gem.
October 1, 2010
Victorian scientist Sir Hugo Cunningham discovers the spirit of death and manages to capture it, thereby achieving immortality. Sophisticated nonsense, elevated by excellent production design and fine performances by Sir Robert Stephens, Robert Powell, Roy from Eastenders and a bewildered and squeaky guinea pig who turns out to be immortal too!
September 19, 2010
how you will feel about this movie will depend on your tolerance for hammer horror ish set pieces. Essentially just set in a few rooms it follows Hugo who manages to see and capture the spirit of death making himself immortal. This comes with its downfalls however. The acting is spot on and played down and thou the asphyx itself is a puppet its used fleetingly and does not outstay its welcome. It actually looks pretty cool. The story flows through nicely and the twists in the story are greatly pulled off. It makes you want to see more of hugos life after the ending. an engaging concept with just a few minor problems (the romantic element is kinda wasted and to be honest not really needed). Its of its time but that dont mean it aint bloody fun :)
½ June 24, 2010
Quite a decent horror film, very original idea that just before you die your soul pops out and can be trapped so you live forever! Its your typical 70s Hammer Horror type of film with a great over the top performance from Robert Stephens. Can be a little slow in places, but an original script, a good setting and an excellent restoration of the film on DVD more than make up for this. Shame about the dodgy aged make-up at the end!
½ March 21, 2009
a forgotten 70`s gem in the horror genre. even though the transfer on the dvd was terrible i still very much enjoyed it.
July 9, 2008
Unrated British horror film.