The Asphyx Reviews

• Jul 29, 2015

Here is a film that deserves to be better known. A scientist discovers the key to immortality by capturing one's asphyx - an element that each person has and which appears only at the moment of their death. I would have chosen the electo-shock method to capturing my asphyx over the ill-advised guillotine experiment used on Dr. Stephens' daughter.

• Apr 09, 2015

Thriller has scientist unlocking the key to immortality by trapping a person's 'Asphyx' or soul at the moment of death. Hard lessons learned for the man who is punished by guilt for an eternity for playing God. Credit should be given to the characters for choosing rather chilling modes of death such as a guillotining in the immortality process. Inventive British horror with good ending.

• Feb 28, 2015

Curious horror/sci-fi from 1973. Another low budget British production that has mediocre reviews and a small cult following. Mainly set in the 1870s the film follows a 'scientist' (not very Emmett Brown) macabre experiments with the human soul in his quest for immortality. (Dont ask it took me three viewings to understand although it is easier to understand after a few hours sleep.) The psychic scientist, Sir Hugo Cunningham has 3 close children who tragically die one by one in the course of his work. In the end Sir Hugo and a poor hamster are the only immortalised subjects. The film cuts to the modern day (well 1973!) and we see Sir Hugo as a deformed being the actor wearing some fancy dress mask clutching the hamster as he perambles round the city street like a tramp. The film has being restored for home video to its original cinematic ratio with HD quality restoration. Why can't all these old films be restored? I only recognised one cast member, Robert Powell who played senior nurse Williams on Holby City a few years ago.

• Feb 21, 2015

British 1970s horror imitating the Hammer films style. It succeeds very well in doing this. I found this film to be creepy with a great atmospheric mood, key ingredients of a good horror.

• Sep 29, 2014

I saw this flick on Amazon Prime. There was a warning at the begining noting that this film was a mix of HD from the original negatives an SD from a US version. To say the least the switch mid scene was often times jaring but once I got used to that I got to see a silly little sci fi horror film. It felt like an over extended version of a twilight zone episode and after the 45 min mark the film takes a dive. That being said it was still interesting and if you can catch it on your streaming service of choose its worth a watch.

• Jul 20, 2014

I am pretty sure that this had to be one of the influences to Ghostbusters.

I am pretty sure that this had to be one of the influences to Ghostbusters.

• Apr 12, 2013

One of the most tragic horror films I have ever seen. It is disturbing but at the same time fascinating. A scientist discovers that at the time of death a strange creature, the Asphyx, arrives to deliver the final blow and if this creature can be captured then the subject will become immortal. The sad consequences of his research destroy all he loves and the ending is one of the most ironic endings I have ever seen. If you don't want to be haunted by this very unique movie the way I am, then don't watch it.

• Apr 06, 2013

What an awesome concept for a movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

What an awesome concept for a movie! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Mar 10, 2013

"The smudge!"-Sir Hugo Cunningham (Robert Stephens) Possibly, influenced those responsible for GHOSTBUSTERS.

• May 08, 2012

A fun movie concept that suffers from a lack of technology to pull it off convincingly. The effects of the Asphyx itself is interesting for a simple camera trick and at times is surprisingly effective. The plot is just a bit too thin to support the running length and the ending rather unsatisfyingly functional. Fun as a curio 70's mad scientist flick.