Ass Backwards Reviews

• May 31, 2019

Dumb and dumber without being funny

Dumb and dumber without being funny

• Jan 30, 2016

A less intelligent version of Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. I didn't really laugh but it was fun to watch. More for the train wreck aspect. Still, I'd rather watch this than Trainwreck anyway...

• Jun 09, 2015

I'm not sure if the goal here is spoof or pay homage to the far sharper 1990's movie, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. But it impossible not to think of it as we watch this pair of gleefully unaware friends make their way thru an unnecessary road trip to a beauty pageant. Raphael and Wilson play so well off of each other and are clearly having so much fun it makes this little movie impossible to not enjoy. Silly and goofy fun.

• Jan 11, 2015

Simply awful. It's basically Romi & Michelle's high school reunion if both the writers and the actors had no talent whatsoever.

• Nov 24, 2014

The road trip payoff is nicely subverted and unlike 90% of independent comedies, there's no fake romance.

• Oct 19, 2014

What a waste of Raphael and Wilson's comedic talents.

What a waste of Raphael and Wilson's comedic talents.

• Jul 11, 2014

I am a huge fan of Casey Rose Wilson and Happy Endings. It feels as though as a writer she and Raphael did not completely transition to the full length screenplay format. After a promising premise - two tinkerbells living on the wrong side of the tracks and with a bad case of arrested development having to go back to the scene of their most formative childhood experience, a beauty pageant they came dead last in - the film becomes flat-footed very quickly. What works for something as blithe as Happy Endings, looks under-developed in a film, even an intentionally silly one. The long middle act is the journey to the pageant/reunion and mishaps/gags along the way. The gags are okay, but set in a story that meanders, they seem less funny than they would otherwise be. There are big opportunities for big laughs, especially at the women's refuge, to whom the idea of a beauty pageant is anathema, and the pageant reunion itself, but again settles mainly for simple laughs and doesn't make the most of the premise of two people who have dodged reality up till now having to confront their inner demons, in front of an audience, no less. I love gags, but they should have focussed more on the story and built the journey of the characters with greater care. And I really don't get the last scene at all. Back to the drawing board then, but they are talented and I think they will produce something much better next time.

• Jun 13, 2014

decent movie, couple of ex pageant losers become misfits latee in life and get into.all kinds of trouble on a trip to there pageant reunion. loved the ending bitches be crazy yo

• Jun 09, 2014

stupid and pointless...

stupid and pointless...

• Jun 04, 2014

I had high hopes for this one. They were crushed in about 15 minutes. The new Romy and Michele this is not. Still I love Casey Wilson.