Assassination Tango - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Assassination Tango Reviews

June 30, 2015
Following the brilliant performance/phenomenal writing/surehanded direction of Robert Duvall in "The Apostle," he assumes the role of writer and director of his own star vehicle once again. Unfortunately, this film doesn't come close to the greatness of "The Apostle." Not to say I'm directly comparing the two films, as they're polar opposites in terms of plot: "The Apostle" is the story of a man determined to do God's work no matter what, "Tango" is about a hitman who loves the tango. The only thing in common is that both men in both movies have an obsession. Unfortunately, Duvall's writing and directing in THIS film is haphazard: the cast consistently looks like they're struggling to find something to say. It looks awkward. Overall, not the best followup to a masterpiece.
January 3, 2014
Robert Duvall directs & stars in this beautifully shot film about a contract killer who's passion is to dance Tango.While on a job in Buenos Aires he meets a lovely Tango teacher and starts to fall in love with her while his job is being delayed... This film is obviously directed by an old man who lies to take his time and let the camera roll for our greatest pleasure. The dancing cessions are well choreographed and this film is charming. Nothing big but an honest entertainment done with taste and passion.
December 9, 2013
Very boring and it didn't have much of a plot. The only interesting part was watching the tango dancers.
September 27, 2013
Robert Duvall, gives himself the free-rein to explore idiosyncrasies a successful and respected aging contract killer deserves. In the same spirit, the interwoven habits of the aging and respected director, actor, and character in the movie are explored with persuasive honesty to provide a rare authenticity. The "tango is life" metaphor ripples through the film as the movement in tango and those of his preparation to conduct a hit resonate with each other. Dissonances are tolerated ("welcome to Argentina") as he applies himself to learning tango. Seemingly mutually exclusive threads in his personality are partly reconciled as the complex, mutually aware nature of partners in tango become more fully understood. In the end it is beautiful in a gritty way
August 18, 2013
Interesting and erotic film! Robert Duvall is agreat actor and a good direcor. He managed to combine crime thriller with elements of musical film.
August 16, 2012
The problem with this film is that the Tango takes over the romance of the film and the assassination is a simple distraction. However as a Tango film Duval manages to capture what Argentinian's feel,love and live for the Tango. I too, took Tango lessons while I lived there, and you get caught in this web of nostalgic melodramatic romance that keeps that country living in the past like the French Belle Époque!
August 7, 2012
enjoyed, good story - love Robert Duvall
½ June 7, 2011
I love Tango, I love Robert Duvall, but this was a little slow
January 8, 2011
Enjoyable romp with Robert Duvall. Great music.
December 10, 2010
couldn't watch it 'til the end...
½ November 27, 2010
Horrible movie. Horrible actress. Duvall's worst performance.
½ November 24, 2010
I kinda liked this movie at times and Mr. Duvall is one of the best actors ever,but this one was just a strange little picture that I wish was a little more dark in its tone and feeling.
½ October 20, 2010
Wtf happened? The panther was the only go part of the movie and even then I didnt understand why the panther was there.
½ October 7, 2010
robert duvall in another 'one man show' movie since the apostle. not really workin
½ September 15, 2010
Old people dancing and talking about killing people. Pretty much only good for Duvall himself
September 8, 2010
only like the tango bit.
May 27, 2010
Who knew a dull movie about an assassin could possibly be made? A vanity project with a hideous script and cheap production values.
½ April 27, 2010
Except for the energetic tango it was quite drab!!
February 11, 2010
Story is terrible. Skip to the amazing dance scenes.
February 9, 2010
Un-doubtably, one of the most boring films. Even Robert Duvall's performance was flat.