The Astronaut Farmer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Astronaut Farmer Reviews

½ October 1, 2013
So many layers of awful. The science alone is completely bogus. I could write a review breaking down all of the completely improbable science in the film but it would be longer than the movie. Orbiting the earth is not exactly easy. Successfully entering the earth's atmosphere without breaking up into a million pieces, is also not exactly easy. His pod lands on perfectly flat terrain within driving distance of where he took off, AND he accomplishes this with a lone parachute. TOTAL UTTER NONSENSE. The only redeeming value is that it's funny to mock, that's about it.
September 27, 2013
this movie kicks ass!
August 7, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie, and I also enjoyed Bruce Willis' uncredited appearance. This is one of those films where I can easily dream about being in space.
August 7, 2013
July 19, 2013
I just saw "Armageddon" with Billy Bob Thornton on the ground watching the launch but now he is the astronaut (farmer) B-
July 7, 2013
A very heartwarming tale that kind of brings me back to childhood.
June 12, 2013
Truly inspirational.
June 4, 2013
Sure stellar idea, thorton even pulls it off, but as a hole this is torture.
April 25, 2013
I have a friend who builds planes on his smallholding. He sells them for double. THis movie was completely believable but I don't suppose inner city New Yorkers can get themselves to think as far as the nearest McDonalds. Pity. Great movie.
April 6, 2013
I kept forgetting that this movie is entirely fictional, I kept thinking it was a real life story and docu-drama.
April 2, 2013
Don't even watch movies starring other actors that have had prolongued exposure to Billy Bob Thornton, as they may carry toxic doses. Direct exposure is fatal.
½ March 28, 2013
Weird but great as a sci-fi horror.
½ March 24, 2013
A lot better than I expected.
March 16, 2013
la queria ver.. pero billy bob thorton si no la hace de ojete, no esta padre su personaje!
½ March 15, 2013
Actually a pretty good movie. Slow at some parts, it turned out to be a pretty good movie although predictable at times.
March 15, 2013
i wish my son was older i would love to go see this with him
March 10, 2013
ordered it, fell asleep, but really was tired
March 4, 2013
The Astronaut Farmer feels like it's telling a true story. Its structure has that heightened sense of reality that so many Hollywood "true stories" tend to have... and yet the concept and notion of a regular farmer mastering rocket science and launching himself into orbit is blisteringly absurd. But to the film's credit, along with a suspension of disbelief, you want it to be true. Billy Bob Thornton stars as the man with a dream and the steely determination to achieve the impossible and his performance is convincing. *** spoiler alert *** Adding some credibility is Bruce Willis. He appears unexpectedly without any forward credits and lends the impression that his character is factual. It's a cheeky movie that will absolutely rope a heap of suckers right in who will go to work the next day telling colleagues about this incredibly true achievement of willpower... but to those a little more switched on, its closer to an astronomical 'Field Of Dreams'. Its nice escapism.
Bathsheba Monk
March 1, 2013
The first ten minutes were the most tedious I've spend in ages. Is Billy Bob Thornton betting on his appeal to carry a movie, because I think that currency has been devalued. Anyway, the story is bogus: who even OWNS a family farm anymore? They're just feeders into Big Food. And why now? He's been at this rocket building task for ten years. Too unbelievable to be real and not charming enough to be good fantasy.
February 22, 2013
I loved this soon as I realized you can fast forward through 1 hr and 20 min and still capture everything that's happening.

(Sorry Billy Bob, normally I love your films.)